Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Is it wrong to send my passport with Canada post xpress with signature required???

Is it wrong to send my passport with Canada post xpress with signature required???

Old Jan 13th 2010, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

mesh2005 has a brilliant futuremesh2005 has a brilliant futuremesh2005 has a brilliant futuremesh2005 has a brilliant futuremesh2005 has a brilliant futuremesh2005 has a brilliant future
Default Is it wrong to send my passport with Canada post xpress with signature required???

I sent my passport to the Canadian address of Buffalo using Canadapost Xpress with signature required. Today as per the tracking tool, delivery attempted and notice card was left!!! Does anyone know what does that mean???

Is that a polite way to say: ur passport was lost? or expect more delay?
Old Jan 14th 2010, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

duncanspilaweller is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is it wrong to send my passport with Canada post xpress with signature required??

i work for the royal mail in england and if an item needs to be signed for but nobody is around to sign for it, then a card is left with the address to collect the package/letter and times available to collect, and then a person can collect the letter/package from the nearest depot.

if you sent it signed for, and there was no-one to sign for it then it cannot be delivered. Expect a delay, depends how often the office go to the post office depot to pick these things up. could only be a day though so don't worry too much.

Hope that helps,
Duncan
Old Jan 14th 2010, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

mesh2005 has a brilliant futuremesh2005 has a brilliant futuremesh2005 has a brilliant futuremesh2005 has a brilliant futuremesh2005 has a brilliant futuremesh2005 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Is it wrong to send my passport with Canada post xpress with signature required??

Originally Posted by duncanspilaweller
i work for the royal mail in england and if an item needs to be signed for but nobody is around to sign for it, then a card is left with the address to collect the package/letter and times available to collect, and then a person can collect the letter/package from the nearest depot.

if you sent it signed for, and there was no-one to sign for it then it cannot be delivered. Expect a delay, depends how often the office go to the post office depot to pick these things up. could only be a day though so don't worry too much.

Hope that helps,
Duncan
Thanks for your reply. Thank god, it was received later today. I was really scared because I have had terrible times with Canada post (my new TWP and nomination package were lost in mail!!!). I sent an email to Buffalo when I found that issue, but before I got any reply from them, the tracking tool changed to show "Item successfully delivered".

Thanks a lot for your help!!
Old Jan 14th 2010, 3:07 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

A bit late to reply I know, but no, there isn't a problem sending via a method that requires a signature. When I've sent off any applications I've always used a postal method that requires a signature as I think it gives extra proof that the item was delivered. In the case of CanadaPost I go to their online system and can view the signature, and corresponding text entry for it and I print that out and also save a copy.

As you've found out, all that happened is that no-one was there to sign for the package and they cannot leave it, so take it back to a local office and leave a card at the address to say delivery was attempted.