Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Wrong expiry date and problems with immigration when renewing my IEC

Wrong expiry date and problems with immigration when renewing my IEC

Old May 4th 2014, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Legz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wrong expiry date and problems with immigration when renewing my IEC

So i just renewed my second year work permit at the detroit/winsor boarder... the girl at immigration dated my new permit as the same date my POE expires. I tried to tell her about 3 times it should be 12 months from the day i re enter.. and that date is how long i have to be able to activate my new permit. So right now my permit is only valid till feb which is 9 months, she basically went on the defensive, told me the date on my permit is already on it they only enter the date iv arrived... which makes no sense and i have to take it up with CIC. She also started telling me i wasn't listening.. Cutting me out when i tried talking.. maybe there is a reason they only want me in canada till feb(which is just ridiculous).. then went onto say they don't have to issue it me the permit and threatened me with taking it away and deporting me... basically put me in a position i couldn't argue my case.. just having to leave and accept it as it is. So my question is has anyone had this problem? what can i do to get it right? and anyone know how i can file a complaint against her for the way i was treated.. when i was only trying to get my work permit right..

(Sorry think this was posted in wrong section)

Last edited by Legz; May 4th 2014 at 2:18 pm.
Old May 4th 2014, 2:54 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wrong expiry date and problems with immigration when renewing my IEC

Originally Posted by Legz
So i just renewed my second year work permit at the detroit/winsor boarder... the girl at immigration dated my new permit as the same date my POE expires. I tried to tell her about 3 times it should be 12 months from the day i re enter.. and that date is how long i have to be able to activate my new permit. So right now my permit is only valid till feb which is 9 months, she basically went on the defensive, told me the date on my permit is already on it they only enter the date iv arrived... which makes no sense and i have to take it up with CIC. She also started telling me i wasn't listening.. Cutting me out when i tried talking.. maybe there is a reason they only want me in canada till feb(which is just ridiculous).. then went onto say they don't have to issue it me the permit and threatened me with taking it away and deporting me... basically put me in a position i couldn't argue my case.. just having to leave and accept it as it is. So my question is has anyone had this problem? what can i do to get it right? and anyone know how i can file a complaint against her for the way i was treated.. when i was only trying to get my work permit right..

(Sorry think this was posted in wrong section)
Good luck with that. Sounds like a real can of worms......
Old May 4th 2014, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wrong expiry date and problems with immigration when renewing my IEC

You would file a complaint online and contact the Chief of Operations at that POE.
Use this link for the online complaint
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/com-eng.html

Was it the Tunnel or Ambassador Bridge POE?
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/do-rb/provinces/on-eng.html

On presentation of the Letter of Introduction an open restricted work permit should be issued for 12 months on the date the LOI is presented at a POE not when the LOI was issued PROVIDED
The applicants passport is still valid for the 12 months and proof of funds and insurance coverage is valid if asked to produce them as per the mandatory requirements of the IEC.
Make your complaint to both links as I can firmly attest that any complaint made via the online link will be forwarded to the Director of the Southern Ontario Region which covers Windsor.
Im assuming you got the officers last name as it would have been displayed on her ballistic vest (her left breast area) when dealing with you.
Old May 4th 2014, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Answered in the same thread that you posted in the Immigration section.
Old May 5th 2014, 12:51 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be filing a complaint. Hopefully you took note of the officers name or number (do they have numbers?)
Old May 5th 2014, 5:01 am
Just Joined

Legz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the help, this morning i spoke to someone at CIC, who are sending me forms to complete to get my permit extended and they have sent a message to some place who i should hear from with in 48 hours so i can file a complaint about the service.. considering i was right and still treated how i was i aint letting it slide. If i dont hear anything ill get online on them links you have provided Thanks again appreciate the help
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 3:34 am
Just Joined

chrismgallen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Legz
Thanks for the help, this morning i spoke to someone at CIC, who are sending me forms to complete to get my permit extended and they have sent a message to some place who i should hear from with in 48 hours so i can file a complaint about the service.. considering i was right and still treated how i was i aint letting it slide. If i dont hear anything ill get online on them links you have provided Thanks again appreciate the help
Hey Legz, were you able to get this resolved?

I have exactly the same problem. I crossed the border into the US and back yesterday at Woodstock, and when I passed through Canadian immigration the officer honestly looked like he'd never seen a letter of introduction before.

He took the longest time issuing the permit (my first one took 10 minutes) and then told me that he was only issuing it until the expiration date on my letter of introduction. I pointed out to him that the date on the letter was just telling me to get into Canada BEFORE that date but to no avail. He basically told me tough and that I need to contact CIC.

Spoke to a CIC agent this morning who told me to fill in a IMM5710 and hope for the best... Really unhappy and just hoping it'll be straight-forward.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chrismgallen
Hey Legz, were you able to get this resolved?

I have exactly the same problem. I crossed the border into the US and back yesterday at Woodstock, and when I passed through Canadian immigration the officer honestly looked like he'd never seen a letter of introduction before.

He took the longest time issuing the permit (my first one took 10 minutes) and then told me that he was only issuing it until the expiration date on my letter of introduction. I pointed out to him that the date on the letter was just telling me to get into Canada BEFORE that date but to no avail. He basically told me tough and that I need to contact CIC.

Spoke to a CIC agent this morning who told me to fill in a IMM5710 and hope for the best... Really unhappy and just hoping it'll be straight-forward.
As before use the links I provided to make a formal complaint. If nobody complains then this will continue to happen.