Wikiposts

Wrong Country of Birth on COPR

Old Nov 4th 2015, 9:55 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wrong Country of Birth on COPR

the United Kingdom is the union of four countries.
Old Nov 4th 2015, 9:59 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
the United Kingdom is the union of four countries.
Historically that is correct, but they gave up their "countriness" when they became united as "the United Kingdom".

Unless you're talking about soccer, rugby, or cricket, the "home nations" have no international recognition.
Old Nov 4th 2015, 10:02 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Scot, kindly explain the 'state' or why you know it as such?

For the OP, they said they were born in 'Northern Ireland' (not England), which is one country of the four that make up the United Kingdom... sorted

I have never known or seen reference till this thread, that the United Kingdom being referred to as a "state"

Last edited by not2old; Nov 4th 2015 at 10:06 am.
Old Nov 4th 2015, 10:05 am
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Historically that is correct, but they gave up their "countriness" when they became united as "the United Kingdom".

Unless you're talking about soccer, rugby, or cricket, the "home nations" have no international recognition.
good point, however, my reference point is the ONS & who would argue with the government definition?

The countries of the UK - ONS
Old Nov 4th 2015, 10:09 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Not a country, nor is it a nation, but it is a State !
I am going to assume you are talking about "Scotland", because that is the only way what you wrote is correct.
Old Nov 4th 2015, 10:15 am

good point, however, my reference point is the ONS & who would argue with the government definition?

The countries of the UK - ONS
I would contend that that's still an internal administrative division matter, not how the countries of the world interact with the United Kingdom.

The British government could call Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland countries, bailiwicks, or pitches and it wouldn't matter one jot to the rest of the world.
Old Nov 4th 2015, 10:30 am
Dichotomus tinker

I like what scot47 posted the other day "yookay", it works for me.

Common knowledge that 'Great Britain' isn't 'Great', so lets not use it. Many a poster on BE post that they are from or live in 'England' - likely because the biggest chunk of the population lives there, or could it be, using the 'UK' reference makes us all one & the same, other than [of course] the Scottish few that will forever never ever want to be referred to as 'UK citizens'?
Old Nov 4th 2015, 10:54 am

I like what scot47 posted the other day "yookay", it works for me.

Common knowledge that 'Great Britain' isn't 'Great', so lets not use it. Many a poster on BE post that they are from or live in 'England' - likely because the biggest chunk of the population lives there, or could it be, using the 'UK' reference makes us all one & the same, other than [of course] the Scottish few that will forever never ever want to be referred to as 'UK citizens'?
A fine idea, but the flaw in your proposal is that Great Britain is a geographic construct, not a political one. Great Britain is the nineth largest island in the world, the largest island in the British Isles archipelago, and exists irrespective of whether it is one country, or divided into three countries, or twenty-seven.
Old Nov 4th 2015, 10:59 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lea187
I received my COPR today and it has England listed as my country of birth instead of Northern Ireland. Not sure why as i put my country of birth as N.Ireland on all my immigration forms and my work permit says N.Ireland as my country of birth. Is this something that can be changed at a port of entry? If I bring my birth cert and my work permit as proof?
Ask them to correct it when you 'land' so that you don't have to do it later.

If you do need to do it after you have landed, it can be quite a lengthy process (see link).

Guide 5218 - Request to Amend Record of Landing, Confirmation of Permanent Residence or Valid Temporary Resident Documents

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 4th 2015 at 5:38 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2015, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

So taking everything said above in to consideration I am neither English nor British but United Kingdomish?
Old Nov 5th 2015, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
So taking everything said above in to consideration I am neither English nor British but United Kingdomish?
You're English and British and a citizen of the UK.
Old Nov 5th 2015, 1:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

You are a Yookanian. Great Britain is not an island but an archipelago. I live on one of the many islands that make it up. I have other friends on other islands. The Local Authority where I live has a huge number of inhabited islands.
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is the State that is recognised internationaly. UKofGB&NI to its friends. Only the ill-educated refer to it as "England". Of such there are many, in England and elsewhere.

Last edited by scot47; Nov 5th 2015 at 1:30 am.
Old Nov 5th 2015, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
You're English and British and a citizen of the UK.
Agreed. "British" is the closest we have to adjective derived from "United Kindom".

Given that the whole archipelago north of France and west of Scandinavia is "the British Isles", even someone born in Northern Ireland could reasonably call themselves "British".
Old Nov 5th 2015, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

To add to the confusion, there's even an issue with the term "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". It implies that the UK is made up of a simple union of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. However, there are other islands in the UK that are not part of Great Britain or Northern Ireland.

Remember that Great Britain is just the largest island in the UK. The Isle of Wight is part of England but it is not part of Great Britain. The term therefore implies that the Isle of Wight is not part of the UK - which obviously isn't true. The same goes for other islands such as The Hebrides in Scotland and Anglesey in Wales.
Old Nov 5th 2015, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Agreed. "British" is the closest we have to adjective derived from "United Kindom".

Given that the whole archipelago north of France and west of Scandinavia is "the British Isles", even someone born in Northern Ireland could reasonably call themselves "British".
"British" has come to mean a citizen of the UK - not someone from The British Isles (otherwise someone from the Republic of Ireland would be described as "British"). So UK citizens born in Northern Ireland are actually "British". Even in the UK passport, UK citizenship is stated as "British Citizen".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.