Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

WP renewal at POE - Expert help needed

WP renewal at POE - Expert help needed

Old Mar 19th 2009, 5:51 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default WP renewal at POE - Expert help needed

Hi guys,
Help please.......

We sent our application off to Vegreville in February to renew our Work Permits that expire at the end of March.

We have found out this morning that the wait time for Work Permits has gone up again and that they are not even processing the applications received after January 25th January.

Problem is that we have bought a house, for the mortgage we will need the new Work Permit, we thought that allowing 4 months for renewal would be enough time. We close on the 4th June!

As our Work Permits are still currently valid our thought is to drive to Niagara and renew our Work Permits at POE.

I am currently thinking that there should not be a problem with this as everything we have is still valid, am I wrong?

Charlie
Old Mar 19th 2009, 5:57 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WP renewal at POE - Expert help needed

Hi

Originally Posted by purple80
Hi guys,
Help please.......

We sent our application off to Vegreville in February to renew our Work Permits that expire at the end of March.

We have found out this morning that the wait time for Work Permits has gone up again and that they are not even processing the applications received after January 25th January.

Problem is that we have bought a house, for the mortgage we will need the new Work Permit, we thought that allowing 4 months for renewal would be enough time. We close on the 4th June!

As our Work Permits are still currently valid our thought is to drive to Niagara and renew our Work Permits at POE.

I am currently thinking that there should not be a problem with this as everything we have is still valid, am I wrong?

Charlie
1. You can try, but CBSA officer may refuse and tell you to apply through Vegreville which you have already done.
2. The processing time for same jobs WPs is 58 days, so you have plenty of time.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

nuin has a spectacular aura aboutnuin has a spectacular aura aboutnuin has a spectacular aura about

If you have a current valid WP and you're not changing jobs you have the so-called "implied status", meaning your current WP will still be valid after the expiration date, as long as you had submitted an renewal application and this is being or going to be analysed by CIC (more specifically Vegreville).

I had a couple of renewals that the timeline went up after I had sent the application and I ended up using the "implied status" to continue working in the same position until the new one arrived.

On my last renewal, my employer said that without a new WP and a renewed SIN card I wouldn't be able to get paid unless I presented them some proof of my application. I gave them a copy of the ban receipt.

It should be fine, but remember that's my experience, other people might have had different ones and might weigh in on the subject.

Hope that helps.

P
Old Mar 19th 2009, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. You can try, but CBSA officer may refuse and tell you to apply through Vegreville which you have already done.
2. The processing time for same jobs WPs is 58 days, so you have plenty of time.
Could you explain why CBSA might refuse to do it? According to the website, it says that the waiting time shown is for applications received before the 5th of January, and that is the 58 days.

Originally Posted by nuin
If you have a current valid WP and you're not changing jobs you have the so-called "implied status", meaning your current WP will still be valid after the expiration date, as long as you had submitted an renewal application and this is being or going to be analysed by CIC (more specifically Vegreville).

I had a couple of renewals that the timeline went up after I had sent the application and I ended up using the "implied status" to continue working in the same position until the new one arrived.

On my last renewal, my employer said that without a new WP and a renewed SIN card I wouldn't be able to get paid unless I presented them some proof of my application. I gave them a copy of the ban receipt.

It should be fine, but remember that's my experience, other people might have had different ones and might weigh in on the subject.

Hope that helps.

P
We have no issues with the employer, it is all about the mortgage, we need the new Work Permit to close on the house, we cannot do this under implied status.

Thank you for responding though.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

nuin has a spectacular aura aboutnuin has a spectacular aura aboutnuin has a spectacular aura about

Sorry, didn't know about the exact requirement.

As PMM said, he/she can refuse on the basis that you already sent an application. It happened to me.

One thing that might work is to go the Canadian Consulate in Buffalo. You can get it on the same day, provided that you arrived there before 9 am. Once we sent an application to Vegreville and we were never sure that it arrived safely and we took advantage of your holidays abroad to get the WP at the consulate. Vegreville noticed that we already got the renewal and sent us a refund of the fees, as the application was assessed later than the time we got back to Canada.

IF you're willing to drive to Niagara, Buffalo is 20-30 km from there. You will spend the whole morning there but it's a good shot to get the WP before your deadline.

I don't know what other people and experts suggest, but this is an alternative.

Cheers
P
Old Mar 19th 2009, 6:37 pm

If our application was only sent a month ago, 19th February to be exact, and they are only processing applications received before 5th Jnauary do they actually know that they have received it and can therefore refuse to renew it?

Can some one comment on the Canadian Consulate option? I have never heard of this?

Last edited by purple80; Mar 19th 2009 at 6:45 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 12:41 am

Sorry.... but bump...... any other thoughts guys?
Old Mar 20th 2009, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

Hi

Check the webpage of the Canadian Consulate in Buffalo:

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca....aspx?lang=eng

You can also contact them if you are in doubt.

P
Old Mar 20th 2009, 1:35 am

Hi nuin,
Thanks for the link, will start reading!
Old Mar 20th 2009, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

There's a section on the link that says that you can present your temporary status document.

I can only say that my wife renewed her WP in Buffalo about three years ago. They were a little bit harsh back then, but I don't remember of people I know complaining about the service lately.

As I mentioned, in doubt you can call them and ask. That would be your best bet.

Good luck with everything.

Cheers
P
Old Mar 20th 2009, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by nuin
There's a section on the link that says that you can present your temporary status document.

I can only say that my wife renewed her WP in Buffalo about three years ago. They were a little bit harsh back then, but I don't remember of people I know complaining about the service lately.

As I mentioned, in doubt you can call them and ask. That would be your best bet.

Cheers
P
Thanks again nuin, guess we will just give it a go!
Old Mar 20th 2009, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by purple80
Thanks again nuin, guess we will just give it a go!
Many thanks nuin,
We set out for Buffalo at 5.30am, crossed at Niagara where we waited for about 30 minutes, we reached the Canadian Consulate in Buffalo at 8.30am.

Left the Consulate at 11.30am with the vital bits of paper in hand and then drove back to Canada.

10 hour round trip, 377 km and 5 very tired, but happy bunnies.

Charlie
Old Mar 20th 2009, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Glad that it worked out well for you guys! Great news. I wasn't expecting you to go there so soon, but I guess immigration issues leaves us very stressed and the faster we deal with it, the better.

Cheers
P
Old Mar 20th 2009, 8:15 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

If WP renewals are going ultra slow now - how far in advance should you submit it?

My OHIP expires with my TWP and I wouldn't like to try and get that renewed with only implied status - they are complete and utter jobsworths...
Old Mar 20th 2009, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Check the CIC website for current delays/processing times

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...process-in.asp

Your OHIP should be OK for a couple of weeks after expiration as they won't renew it until you have a new WP.

P

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.