WP Question

Old Jul 12th 2007, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WP Question

Originally Posted by jandavid
Hi Gaynor

does that mean you can bypass CHC for the letter that you take to POE to get WP, open WP and student pemits?? If you have LMO that is??

Thanks David
Hi David

yes you can bypass CHC to pick up a WP at the POE - as long as your job doesnt require a medical ie in medical or education. You would need to take your positive LMO, Job Offer, Signed Contract of Employment and any certificates ie degree or professional qualification.

Originally Posted by irthedino
I have a similar question to that above.

Hoping to get LMO through soon but have a start date of 20th August for work, a bit unrealistic taking into account processing times for WP's at the moment!

Yep

I've searched for the answer but in most cases the 'worker' seems to travel out alone to get their WP and then is followed later by family.

Is it possible for us all to travel and land together?

yep

How does it work at POE. I'll have a job to go to, OH won't. So am i right in presuming that if all goes well I'll get a WP and he and the kids will get visitor status and then we apply for his SOWP and kids' study permits once we're in?

OK You go and apply for your WP at the POE and if your job merits your wife to receive a SOWP then you can pick that up at the same time - each of these WP costs $150. You also pick up any visa's/ permits required for the kids too at the same time.

Sorry if it feels like it's been answered already but i'm seeking clarification, as it could be a costly mistake to make!!

Hope this helps

Gaynor

XXX
Old Jul 12th 2007, 6:19 am

dunniflat is an unknown quantity at this point

hi everyone,

this is our story so far,

we are onto our eleventh week waiting on work permit!

FIRST PROBLEM: our employer had not given us our positive lmo number and it held us back ,now problem sorted!

SECOND PROBLEM: we received word this morning that work permit was processed and ready to go BUT they would not release it untill we paid a fee for our oldest son (who is 4 ,5 in august!) for a study permit!

we have now sent this fee and waiting again !!

we are going to alberta and found information telling us we would NOT NEED A STUDY PERMIT!

WE THINK THAT WE ARE HAVING THIS PROBLEM BECAUSE WE ARE ALL TRAVELLING TOGETHER AND NEVER WENT THROUGH THE POINT OF ENTRY METHOD!!! (WE FELT IT WAS TOO RISKY FOR US !!)

SO CONFUSING !!!
Old Jul 12th 2007, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunniflat
hi everyone,

FIRST PROBLEM: our employer had not given us our positive lmo number and it held us back ,now problem sorted!

SECOND PROBLEM: we received word this morning that work permit was processed and ready to go BUT they would not release it untill we paid a fee for our oldest son (who is 4 ,5 in august!) for a study permit!

we are going to alberta and found information telling us we would NOT NEED A STUDY PERMIT!

WE THINK THAT WE ARE HAVING THIS PROBLEM BECAUSE WE ARE ALL TRAVELLING TOGETHER AND NEVER WENT THROUGH THE POINT OF ENTRY METHOD!!! (WE FELT IT WAS TOO RISKY FOR US !!)

SO CONFUSING !!!
Hiya Ang

Still cannot believe that they are making you pay for a study permit when the law in Alberta changed a few years ago saying that if children of school age accompanied a parent on a wp then they dont need a study permit

Unbelieveable

Gaynor
x
Old Jul 12th 2007, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Hiya Ang

Still cannot believe that they are making you pay for a study permit when the law in Alberta changed a few years ago saying that if children of school age accompanied a parent on a wp then they dont need a study permit

Unbelieveable

Gaynor
x
HI GAY,

ITS NOT FAIR !!!
I DONT UNDERSTAND HOW SOME FOLK CAN GET IN WITHOUT STUDY PERMIT YET THEY WANT MONEY FROM US !!!
BUT IT SEEMS THE ONLY WE WILL GET TO HUBBY'S JOB WHICH HE WAS DUE TO START 20TH JUNE IS BY PAYING THIS !!LOL!
Old Jul 12th 2007, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

irthedino is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info - it really helps to get someone else's input, can feel like you're going round in circles sometimes!

Di x
Old Jul 12th 2007, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

HI GAY,

ITS NOT FAIR !!!
I DONT UNDERSTAND HOW SOME FOLK CAN GET IN WITHOUT STUDY PERMIT YET THEY WANT MONEY FROM US !!!
BUT IT SEEMS THE ONLY WE WILL GET TO HUBBY'S JOB WHICH HE WAS DUE TO START 20TH JUNE IS BY PAYING THIS !!LOL!
Ang

You know I wonder if it has anything to do the little one not being in school by Canadian standards as they have to be 6 and your little one is only 5 - Just a thought hun

gaynor
x
ps email me if you want to rant and rave x
Old Jul 12th 2007, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

hi everyone,

SO CONFUSING !!!
How very annoying- this will happen to us too then!
Old Jul 12th 2007, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryphea
How very annoying- this will happen to us too then!
No Gryphea, somethings gotta go your way - think positive, you're still gonna get there, just a tad later than you thought.

Rob.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 8:17 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

HI GAY,

ITS NOT FAIR !!!
I'm sorry to hear that this has happened to you, dunniflat.

The confusing information that Citizenship and Immigration Canada provides on the topic of study permits for children accompanying their parents to Canada is a pain in the neck.

On this page of CIC's website it states:
Exceptions: Studying without a study permit

In some cases, minor children do not need a study permit to study in Canada.

These cases include:
  • minor children attending kindergarten;
  • minor children who are refugees or refugee claimants, or whose parents are refugees or refugee claimants; and
  • minor children who are alreadyin Canada with parents who are allowed to work or study in Canada, and who want to attend pre-school, primary or secondary school.
When minor children studying in Canada without a permit reach the age of majority (turn 18 or 19 depending on the province or territory), they must apply for a permit if they want to continue studying.
There have been many instances on this forum where parents have entered Canada on work permits, their children have accompanied them without study permits, and the children have been admitted into schools without any problems.

You will note that, aside from anything else it says, the CIC web page specifically states that kindergarten students do not need study permits.

In the last few months, however, a few BE forum members have reported problems, either because CIC cut them off at the pass or because schools wouldn't enroll their children until they'd obtained study permits.

I think I'll go into the BE Wiki on Canadian Immigration and upgrade the statement about study permits for children to a strong recommendation that parents obtain them regardless of what the technicalities may or may not be.

For someone who is trying to get the show on the road, I'm sure it would be better to just pay for the wrteched study permits from the start and avoid this bureaucratic nonsense.

But gryphea, one thing I know for sure is that your pre-school daughter does not need a study permit. (And, according to the CIC web page quoted above, neither does your kindergarten-aged son.)
Old Jul 12th 2007, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

jandavid is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Hi David

yes you can bypass CHC to pick up a WP at the POE - as long as your job doesnt require a medical ie in medical or education. You would need to take your positive LMO, Job Offer, Signed Contract of Employment and any certificates ie degree or professional qualification.

Hope this helps

Gaynor

XXX
Hi Gaynor

many thanks for reply, got in me ed now.

Best wishes David
Old Jul 12th 2007, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
But gryphea, one thing I know for sure is that your pre-school daughter does not need a study permit. (And, according to the CIC web page quoted above, neither does your kindergarten-aged son.)

I know - but Dunniflat's kindergarten aged son shouldn't need one either!

Gryphea
Old Jul 12th 2007, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Gryphea
This is the link I got my info from:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/minors-documents.asp
Old Jul 12th 2007, 9:12 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

True enough. :curse:
Old Jul 12th 2007, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

jandavid is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Gryph

just had good look at it, very clear really, saved it into my favs now

Best of luck with your app's and for the future

David
Old Jul 13th 2007, 12:09 am

All the information given for minors of work permit holders is very confusing!

All i can suggest is if anyone ,will be arriving in canada around the time of your child reaching 5!...i think it is worthwhile arranging a study permit to save the problems we have had anyway!

GOOD LUCK GRYPH AND EVERYONE ELSE!