Wikiposts

WP at POE?

Old Aug 24th 2007, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

ladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: WP at POE?

[QUOTE=Alvic;5229543]On another thread on BE on the subject others advised us not to mention we had already applied on SW route as you are supposed to be able to prove that you are leaving the country when your WP is up...so ladymoose's reply above has thrown another spanner in the works for us as whether to mention it or not.
Hopefully they wont mention it.QUOTE]

Hi Alvic - They probably won't mention it - they didn't ask us and I don't remember any other posts where people were specifically asked this question at POE. So I wouldn't worry about it too much (though easier said than done I know).

However, if you are asked the question "have you applied for PR" the only honest answer I feel that can be given is "Yes I have applied for PR but will leave the country at the end of the permit if my PR hasn't been received by then" - because if you don't do this, you will be working here illegally. Again, unless things go really badly with your/hubby's employer, it is more than likely that you can renew your permit or get fast-tracked with a job offer - so this situation wil probably not arise.

If you are asked the question "do you intend to leave at the end of your work permit" - the answer is a very simple "yes" - you don't need to start voluntarily telling them about the PR application - unless they ask you that specific question. But I don't think they will

I also remember reading advice in the past about not mentioning PR if you are on WP. We took this advice on our WP renewals time and again, but this last one we did, we had no choice - as we were effectively only asking for WP extension until the PR process was completed (we were at "medicals received" stage at the time - now PPR pending).

I don't know if the PR and WP computer systems are connected or not but I would imagine that CIC (though maybe not POE) can see both type of applications in progress if they search on your name??? So to not tell the truth if asked this question directly would probably not go down too well when/if you apply for work permit extension.

Anyway, as now the PR process takes so long and an awful lot of people are getting WPs in order to get out here sooner (which is what a lot of immigration consultants seem to advise) it seems strange that you would be penalised for taking initiative and getting out here asap - and also applying for PR.

If someone had every intention of staying illegally once their WP has expired, I don't think they'd go to all the bother of filling in a PR app as well? I know I wouldn't be bothered if I had "illegal" intentions from the get-go!

I bow to the knowledge of the experts on here however, I fully acknowledge I could be talking out of my behind . Maybe they can clarifiy the reasoning behind concealing a PR app if you are on WP.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 9:29 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=ladymoose;5230965]
Originally Posted by Alvic
On another thread on BE on the subject others advised us not to mention we had already applied on SW route as you are supposed to be able to prove that you are leaving the country when your WP is up...so ladymoose's reply above has thrown another spanner in the works for us as whether to mention it or not.
Hopefully they wont mention it.QUOTE]

Hi Alvic - They probably won't mention it - they didn't ask us and I don't remember any other posts where people were specifically asked this question at POE. So I wouldn't worry about it too much (though easier said than done I know).

However, if you are asked the question "have you applied for PR" the only honest answer I feel that can be given is "Yes I have applied for PR but will leave the country at the end of the permit if my PR hasn't been received by then" - because if you don't do this, you will be working here illegally. Again, unless things go really badly with your/hubby's employer, it is more than likely that you can renew your permit or get fast-tracked with a job offer - so this situation wil probably not arise.

If you are asked the question "do you intend to leave at the end of your work permit" - the answer is a very simple "yes" - you don't need to start voluntarily telling them about the PR application - unless they ask you that specific question. But I don't think they will

I also remember reading advice in the past about not mentioning PR if you are on WP. We took this advice on our WP renewals time and again, but this last one we did, we had no choice - as we were effectively only asking for WP extension until the PR process was completed (we were at "medicals received" stage at the time - now PPR pending).

I don't know if the PR and WP computer systems are connected or not but I would imagine that CIC (though maybe not POE) can see both type of applications in progress if they search on your name??? So to not tell the truth if asked this question directly would probably not go down too well when/if you apply for work permit extension.

Anyway, as now the PR process takes so long and an awful lot of people are getting WPs in order to get out here sooner (which is what a lot of immigration consultants seem to advise) it seems strange that you would be penalised for taking initiative and getting out here asap - and also applying for PR.

If someone had every intention of staying illegally once their WP has expired, I don't think they'd go to all the bother of filling in a PR app as well? I know I wouldn't be bothered if I had "illegal" intentions from the get-go!

I bow to the knowledge of the experts on here however, I fully acknowledge I could be talking out of my behind . Maybe they can clarifiy the reasoning behind concealing a PR app if you are on WP.
What a fantastic answer, thanks ladymoose. I think the truth always pays off too so we will see how things go and hopefully they wont ask us.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 12:37 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Alvic;5233633]
Originally Posted by ladymoose

What a fantastic answer, thanks ladymoose. I think the truth always pays off too so we will see how things go and hopefully they wont ask us.
I think I remember telling them, but it made no difference whatsoever.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 4:06 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Continuing my pondering of worst-case scenarios, is there any reason (other than the obvious lack of paperwork) that a WP would not be renewed at POE? As an alternative to sending off to Vegreville?
Old Sep 13th 2007, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

We just transfering from BUNAC on to WP having been accepted by BC PNP.

We were wanting to go to PoE to collect WP, but BC PNP we very insistent that they advised against this, and that we should send everything off to Vegreville.

My BC PNP case officer, only alluded to the fact, but I read between the lines and came up with the theory that the immigration officer at the PoE might be having a bad day and not let you have the new WP and might not let you back in to Canada.

Am I right in thinking that even with all paperwork possible you aren't guarenteed your WP, and it is down to the immigration officer you see?