Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Would there be many FSW left if this was to happen in Canada?

Would there be many FSW left if this was to happen in Canada?

Old Feb 29th 2012, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

lucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant future
Default Would there be many FSW left if this was to happen in Canada?

Interesting article on today's guardian website:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/fe...e-right-settle

I certainly wasn't earning 35K equivalent as an ESL (English as a Second Language) teacher before I went on Maternity Leave last year despite being the main applicant for our Federal Skilled Worker application back in 2009.

I have worked with many Internationally trained teachers who came over on the FSW program of whom all but 1 to my knowledge would be sent back due to low or no earnings years after they arrived in Canada!

Definitely something wrong with the system for my profession in my opinion and think same for many other industries.

Ironically, my husband who was rejected as the main applicant on the FSW program following the 2008 change now earns a hell of a lot more than 35K equivalent!

Hope this is of interest to you!

Lucy
Old Feb 29th 2012, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Would there be many FSW left if this was to happen in Canada?

I think a lot has to do with public opinion.

I'm not sure how much of a vote winner the anti-immigration stance is in Canada (perhaps someone could enlighten me), but every now and then it seems to be a popular stance with the voting public in the UK.

Personally I don't have a problem with immigration into the UK as long as it is filling a need. I work in software and almost all decent applicants for any position seem to be people who have recently immigrated here. UK born and educated applicants seem to be few and far between (I'd say only 1 in 10).

If these people weren't here we'd struggle to fill the places, or at least have to settle for employing the dregs of the barrel.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucycrow
Interesting article on today's guardian website:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/fe...e-right-settle

I certainly wasn't earning 35K equivalent as an ESL (English as a Second Language) teacher before I went on Maternity Leave last year despite being the main applicant for our Federal Skilled Worker application back in 2009.

I have worked with many Internationally trained teachers who came over on the FSW program of whom all but 1 to my knowledge would be sent back due to low or no earnings years after they arrived in Canada!

Definitely something wrong with the system for my profession in my opinion and think same for many other industries.

Ironically, my husband who was rejected as the main applicant on the FSW program following the 2008 change now earns a hell of a lot more than 35K equivalent!

Hope this is of interest to you!

Lucy
You do realise the article is about the UK and not Canada?

I think it is a bizarre policy. I have no idea what the average income in the UK is now, but I doubt it exceeds £35,000 a year
Old Feb 29th 2012, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

lucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant future

Yes I do realise it is about the UK hence the title of my thread.

Often Canada and UK follow similar procedures re immigration so just thought was interesting that this was being considered in the UK.

Yes 35K is above average wage but at the same time I would hope (although this is sadly not always the case) that skilled workers should be earning above the national average.

I just thought this may be of interest to people who have come to Canada as skilled workers but struggled to get employed in their profession and earn a good wage.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucycrow
Yes I do realise it is about the UK hence the title of my thread.

Often Canada and UK follow similar procedures re immigration so just thought was interesting that this was being considered in the UK.

Yes 35K is above average wage but at the same time I would hope (although this is sadly not always the case) that skilled workers should be earning above the national average.

I just thought this may be of interest to people who have come to Canada as skilled workers but struggled to get employed in their profession and earn a good wage.
The UK and Canada are in different situations in terms of immigration. The big difference is that the UK wants to decrease immigration while Canada (particularly the western provinces) wants to increase it. So I don't see anything like this being introduced in Canada any time soon. If anything, Canada may well benefit from this as fewer immigrants for the UK could mean more for Canada.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
The UK and Canada are in different situations in terms of immigration. The big difference is that the UK wants to decrease immigration while Canada (particularly the western provinces) wants to increase it. So I don't see anything like this being introduced in Canada any time soon. If anything, Canada may well benefit from this as fewer immigrants for the UK could mean more for Canada.
True but we want immigrants who will not bloody moan about the price of cheese, cant get bags of Walkers crisps, a decent pint etc etc
Old Mar 1st 2012, 3:43 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Isnt there enough pressure on newcommers without having a financial sword of damoclese dangling over them to earn £xxk? IS a persons worth to society solely defined by their income? Really, the UK is terribly anal about all things immigration related it seems to me, like they expect half the world to WANT to live there is left to their own devices. My immediate response would be to tighten up the benefits loopholes and let everything else take care of itself.

How this would go over in Canada is likely to be a moot point if proposed changes to immigration take root anyway. Personally after a brief glance the new plan seems to make sense, let employers decide who they need now, rather than the government bureaucracy, and then work to facilitate that in a timely manner.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2354767/

But it probably open to all sorts of abuse though, bribery, nepotism, fake job scams etc etc, and it would need a lot of policing to keep it all on the level.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 11:20 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed

Funny that.... we have a a CIC FSW1 AOR of August 2010. You'd have thought if Canada wants immigrants we'd have been admitted months back!

I would suggest you can get into the UK quicker than that. Mind you, as a UK citizen, I have not tried that route to back up my theory