Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Would moving to the USA affect my Canadian PR/Citizenship?

Would moving to the USA affect my Canadian PR/Citizenship?

Old Jul 22nd 2011, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

missmellyshoes is just really nicemissmellyshoes is just really nicemissmellyshoes is just really nicemissmellyshoes is just really nicemissmellyshoes is just really nicemissmellyshoes is just really nicemissmellyshoes is just really nicemissmellyshoes is just really nicemissmellyshoes is just really nice
Default Would moving to the USA affect my Canadian PR/Citizenship?

Hi guys, me again with another relocating question.
So China didn't come to fruition but now I have been approached by a large company in the USA. (they will relocate me etc).

-I have applied for Canadian citizenship as this is where I want to be long term and have received my study guide, so what I want to know is, if I move to the USA will that affect PR/citizenship in anyway?

-Can I come back to sit my citizenship test? (I estimate it's about 9-12months out).

-What visas would I need? (I have done "some" research before any jumps on me to google it but want to check I haven't missed anything.

Thanks guys
Missmellyshoes
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 8:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would moving to the USA affect my Canadian PR/Citizenship?

It won't affect any citizenship application, other than the fact that you'll need to be prepared to get back to Canada at very short notice for your test and ceremony.

But if you didn't maintain your '2 years out of every 5' for PR then it would be an issue, although hopefully you'd have citizenship before it became an issue anyway.

As for the US visa side of things, best to ask in the US immigration forum (or ask the company's immigration lawyer) - but this Wiki article may help you get started. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski's_Ways%3A_How_to_Live_and_Work_in_the_USA

Old Jul 23rd 2011, 4:20 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would moving to the USA affect my Canadian PR/Citizenship?

Originally Posted by missmellyshoes
Hi guys, me again with another relocating question.
So China didn't come to fruition but now I have been approached by a large company in the USA. (they will relocate me etc).

-I have applied for Canadian citizenship as this is where I want to be long term and have received my study guide, so what I want to know is, if I move to the USA will that affect PR/citizenship in anyway?

-Can I come back to sit my citizenship test? (I estimate it's about 9-12months out).
Discussed at:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Canadi...ng_application

I've never before seen anyone successfully do this. Miss the appointments and they can deem your application abandoned and close the file.

As someone else has said, the visa options for the USA are not necessarily going to be straightforward. But once you are a Canadian citizen you can use the NAFTA (TN) status. If the intent is to stay in the USA, look at the situation on a green card - just because you get a temporary visa does not mean you'll necessarily (ever) be able to get a green card.

Last edited by JAJ; Jul 23rd 2011 at 4:22 pm.