Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Is it worth mentioning "Occupations under pressure"?

Is it worth mentioning "Occupations under pressure"?

Old Mar 6th 2008, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

paul-niki is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it worth mentioning "Occupations under pressure"?

Hello folks,

I am applying for any number of jobs throughout Canada and my background allows me to apply for various roles that fall within the paramaters of what I do in the UK. In some provinces these jobs appear on the Occupations under Pressure list. To try and push my applications would it be worth mentioning this to potential employers, even putting a link on my application letters? I don't want to appear condescending to possible future employers but I only found out about the list through BE and although these things are important to us Expat wannabes perhaps not all employers are aware of the possibilities this offers them?

Any comments gratefully accepted.

Cheers, Paul

PS - I run a building company and work in several trades so therefore am applying for construction supervisory and management also carpentry, glazing, etc.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth mentioning "Occupations under pressure"?

I would personally include something along the lines of how you have researched the Work Permit / PR process and the said job being applied for falls under those classed as Occupations Under Pressure.

Not sure whether it is worth including seperate evidence or not. I wouldn't bother myself.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 7:16 am
Banned

scaffroche is a jewel in the roughscaffroche is a jewel in the roughscaffroche is a jewel in the roughscaffroche is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by paul-niki
Hello folks,

I am applying for any number of jobs throughout Canada and my background allows me to apply for various roles that fall within the paramaters of what I do in the UK. In some provinces these jobs appear on the Occupations under Pressure list. To try and push my applications would it be worth mentioning this to potential employers, even putting a link on my application letters? I don't want to appear condescending to possible future employers but I only found out about the list through BE and although these things are important to us Expat wannabes perhaps not all employers are aware of the possibilities this offers them?

Any comments gratefully accepted.

Cheers, Paul

PS - I run a building company and work in several trades so therefore am applying for construction supervisory and management also carpentry, glazing, etc.
Hi Paul ,
3 weeks ago I applyed under the PNP / Occupations under pressure program myself . The job title that I have applied under is Construction Manager . Please be aware that there are different timelines involved in the various provinces/states . I have applyed in BC which seems to have one of the shorter timelines @ 5-8 weeks . Other Provinces may have a longer timeline @ a year . You should be aware of this if including a reference in your covering letter. I think to include such a note is definitley a good idea as neither my employer nor I knew about the programme and I actually brought it to his attention after being informed about it on this forum . To include it would make it clear to a prospective employer what is involved . The first thing my employer said to me is he did not know how to go about bringing me over . It would def make you more attractive to a prospective employer if they were to know what is involved and that it can be done in a relatively short time . Good Luck !
Old Mar 6th 2008, 7:19 am
Banned

scaffroche is a jewel in the roughscaffroche is a jewel in the roughscaffroche is a jewel in the roughscaffroche is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by live to ski
I would personally include something along the lines of how you have researched the Work Permit / PR process and the said job being applied for falls under those classed as Occupations Under Pressure.

Not sure whether it is worth including seperate evidence or not. I wouldn't bother myself.
I wouldnt bother either - just a note explaining the Occupations Under Pressure list etc would do I think . To include links etc is only complicating matters .
Old Mar 7th 2008, 5:28 am
Just Joined

tracy-cheshire.UK is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree you should include a short note about this in your covering letter.

I have just started applying for jobs and put a note in my applications.

Not had any feedback yet but thought it might just stop my resume getting thrown straight in the bin.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 6:02 am
Banned

Originally Posted by tracy-cheshire.UK
I agree you should include a short note about this in your covering letter.

I have just started applying for jobs and put a note in my applications.

Not had any feedback yet but thought it might just stop my resume getting thrown straight in the bin.
I think that it can also be 'different' for an employer to receive an application from overseas . I had many applications / resumes submitted with no response but a few did seem to catch employers imaginations who were v positive .