Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Is it worth faxing High Commission or will it just irritate them?

Is it worth faxing High Commission or will it just irritate them?

Old Dec 20th 2004, 11:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is it worth faxing High Commission or will it just irritate them?

Hi all,

I've applied to sponsor my British common-law partner. Our timeline thus far:-

Rec'd Mississauga Aug 13th
Started proc Sept 10th
Sponsor decision made Sept 16th
Started proc London Oct 16th
Payment of RPRF rec'd Mississauga Nov 15th

I've just looked at the latest processing times on CIC and it seems only 50% are being done in 6mths, I don't know if these have changed recently but I had it in my head that the majority were finalised in 6mths.

Mr B was offered a place at a Canadian university yesterday to do the necessary 2yr degree conversion course so he can practise his profession. It is unbelievably difficult and expensive to get one of these places and so we're not inclined to let it go. It is a requirement for the course that he be a PR, they know he is half-way through the process and are willing to wait for evidence until May 2005 when he is due to start, we've been telling them we expected it to take 6mths.

My question is this: is it a total waste of time faxing the High Commission and informing them of our deadline? Should we wait until the 6mths are up and then fax and inquire why we haven't been finalised (assuming we haven't of course)? The High Commissioner came up to Scotland to give me my citizenship personally at a private ceremony a couple of years ago, I know he'll remember me - is it a really stupid thing to write to him and express the need for processing by May?

Anyone got any recent common-law London timelines to share?

Thanks in anticipation,

Biiiiink

P.S. Mr B can't get a student visa as this course is not a regular uni course, it's purely for PRs/citizens to convert their foreign qualifications so we can't go down that route as a temporary measure.
Old Dec 21st 2004, 6:38 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth faxing High Commission or will it just irritate them?

Hi

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Hi all,

Started proc Sept 10th

I've just looked at the latest processing times on CIC and it seems only 50% are being done in 6mths, I don't know if these have changed recently but I had it in my head that the majority were finalised in 6mths.

Mr B was offered a place at a Canadian university yesterday to do the necessary 2yr degree conversion course so he can practise his profession. It is unbelievably difficult and expensive to get one of these places and so we're not inclined to let it go. It is a requirement for the course that he be a PR, they know he is half-way through the process and are willing to wait for evidence until May 2005 when he is due to start, we've been telling them we expected it to take 6mths.

My question is this: is it a total waste of time faxing the High Commission and informing them of our deadline? Should we wait until the 6mths are up and then fax and inquire why we haven't been finalised (assuming we haven't of course)? The High Commissioner came up to Scotland to give me my citizenship personally at a private ceremony a couple of years ago, I know he'll remember me - is it a really stupid thing to write to him and express the need for processing by May?

Thanks in anticipation,

Biiiiink

P.S. Mr B can't get a student visa as this course is not a regular uni course, it's purely for PRs/citizens to convert their foreign qualifications so we can't go down that route as a temporary measure.
You are only 3 months into the process, so give CHC a break and let them process the application. No, they don't care that the course starts in May, they aren't going to drop other apps to process.

PMM
Old Dec 21st 2004, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

johners is just really nicejohners is just really nicejohners is just really nicejohners is just really nicejohners is just really nicejohners is just really nicejohners is just really nicejohners is just really nice

My mate has just completed sponsored PR by his Canadian wife.

It took him just over 1 year from applying to London to get it through.
(however, he was not a uk citizen which prolly slowed things up a bit)

He did fax CHC london though when it seemed nothing was being done, and received a reply which got the ball rolling again.

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Hi all,

Started proc Sept 10th

Thanks in anticipation,

Biiiiink

Old Dec 22nd 2004, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for your replies.

PMM - does the countdown and figures quoted on CIC start from the date they receive the application or when they first do something with it? I thought we were 4mths in.

Johners - good to know a fax will not necessarily go straight in the bin! For now we plan to wait until Feb, and fax/write the High Commission then.

Biiiiink