Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Working whilst on Bridging programme

Wikiposts

Working whilst on Bridging programme

Old Jun 20th 2016, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

telgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working whilst on Bridging programme

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
They're all the same thing! Express Entry is an application for Permanent Residency, and PNP is one of the ways to apply for Express Entry.

But unless you're scoring enough on the CRS to apply for Express Entry without a job offer (450-480 as a rough guide), then you'll have two options - one is to get the employer to get an LMIA, and you'd then apply for PR via EE under FSW, and the other is to get the nomination certificate and you'd then apply for PR via the PNP. Unfortunately at the moment, the NS EE PNP is closed as the quota for this year has been filled, so you'd have to go down the Skilled Worker PNP route via the 'old' way rather than EE, so the LMIA route would certainly be quicker.

Either way your employer will need to be involved, so perhaps ask them which they'd prefer? And what is the job? You've mentioned 'casual work', but you'll need to make sure it does definitely qualify for a visa, so what is the job title, is it a permanent contract and how many hours per week?

Once you've got the LMIA or nomination cert, you can then get a TWP too, so you can get out there and start working without them having to wait for you to get PR.

HTH.
Thanks for that! It clarifies a few things! I was a little confused over the information on the CIC website. I wish I could find a genuine lawyer to speak to but they all charge vast sums of money
Old Jun 20th 2016, 6:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by telgar32
Thanks for that! It clarifies a few things! I was a little confused over the information on the CIC website. I wish I could find a genuine lawyer to speak to but they all charge vast sums of money
No need for a lawyer, you've got BE!

(and most decent consultants will do a consultation for a few hundred dollars, so could be worth it if you decide just asking on BE isn't for you).

Good luck.
Old Jun 20th 2016, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Christmas is right as to costs. If you still have a lot of Qs after posts on the forum you could select a regulated consultant (RCIC). They should be able to provide you with an initial (paid) consultation (ask them for a written summary post the consultation and if you can ask a few follow up Qs).

If you search here you can find someone. Doesn't matter if they are in Canada: it can be done over Skype.

Search

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Jun 20th 2016 at 7:13 am.
Old Jun 20th 2016, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

telgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Working whilst on Bridging programme

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Christmas is right as to costs. If you still have a lot of Qs after posts on the forum you could select a regulated consultant (RCIC). They should be able to provide you with an initial (paid) consultation (ask them for a written summary post the consultation and if you can ask a few follow up Qs).

If you search here you can find someone. Doesn't matter if they are in Canada: it can be done over Skype.

Search

S
Thanks Snowy and Christmas! I might be able to get my answers on here you never know! Basically I want to get to Nova Scotia as soon as possible. Last Wednesday I got offered a job as a continuing care assistant in Nova Scotia which I would like to start asap. I am currently an Registered Nurse in the UK and am completing the Bridging Programme to become a licenced RN in Nova scotia. The theory I am completing online. In October however and again in December I have to go to Nova Scotia to complete the practical elements of the course in the classroom. Instead of coming back and forth to the Uk I would like to be able to work as a CCA in between and gain some basic experience. The people who have offered me the job say they are happy for this to happen, its just finding the quickest way to get over there. Like Christmas has said EE is now closed for this year. LMIA I hope is possible between now and October. Or possibly applying for an open work permit? Or TWP as Christmas suggests. If anyone has tips them please let me know! Thanks once again Telgar
Old Jun 20th 2016, 9:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Like Christmas has said EE is now closed for this year. LMIA I hope is possible between now and October. Or possibly applying for an open work permit? Or TWP as Christmas suggests. If anyone has tips them please let me know! Thanks once again Telgar
Just to clarify, I didn't say EE was closed - just that the EE stream under the NS PNP is. But I don't know if you'd be eligible for that anyway, I did ask above but what exactly is the job (NOC code?), and is it full-time and permanent?

You can't apply for an open work permit from what you've said? Unless you're aged 30 or under? And a TWP is what you get after the LMIA, so they're not two separate routes.

Bit I've outlined your possible routes in my post above, without the extra info that I've asked about previously (your CRS score, what the job is etc) then it's hard to give any other suggestions.

If you can provide more info then I'm sure somebody can help.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 20th 2016 at 9:45 am.
Old Jun 20th 2016, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Just to clarify, I didn't say EE was closed - just that the EE stream under the NS PNP is. But I don't know if you'd be eligible for that anyway, I did ask above but what exactly is the job (NOC code?), and is it full-time and permanent?

You can't apply for an open work permit from what you've said? Unless you're aged 30 or under? And a TWP is what you get after the LMIA, so they're not two separate routes.

Bit I've outlined your possible routes in my post above, without the extra info that I've asked about previously (your CRS score, what the job is etc) then it's hard to give any other suggestions.

If you can provide more info then I'm sure somebody can help.
My NOC code is 3012, Skill level A. The job is to work as a continuing care assistant until I finish my course and can apply for a licence as an RN. There is no guarantee of hours so the offer is not permanent, but they say they have lots of staff sickness so I am likely to be called in at short notice and will get enough hours that way. I have used the CRS Ranking tool but it is not giving me an actual score. It gives me a reference number and says to log on an create an express entry profile as I am eligible with what I have. I have completed my IELTS and entered the results for this also. Do you know where I can actually get my CRS score please? Thanks for your help
Old Jun 20th 2016, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

My concern is CCA will not meet TWP requirements and you will not be able to work
Old Jun 20th 2016, 9:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

My NOC code is 3012, Skill level A. The job is to work as a continuing care assistant until I finish my course and can apply for a licence as an RN. There is no guarantee of hours so the offer is not permanent, but they say they have lots of staff sickness so I am likely to be called in at short notice and will get enough hours that way. I have used the CRS Ranking tool but it is not giving me an actual score. It gives me a reference number and says to log on an create an express entry profile as I am eligible with what I have. I have completed my IELTS and entered the results for this also. Do you know where I can actually get my CRS score please? Thanks for your help
CRS tool link
Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) - tool

CRS criteria
Express Entry – Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) Criteria
Old Jun 20th 2016, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
My concern is CCA will not meet TWP requirements and you will not be able to work
Thanks for that! Do you have any other suggestions? Do you know why as CCA would not meet TWP?
Old Jun 20th 2016, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

TWP needs to be full time employment, the employer also has to prove they have advertised and can not fill the post (costs $$$ and is LMIA) and to be honest CCA's are plentiful in most places

check out Work in Canada temporarily
Old Jun 20th 2016, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

How long are your clinical components?
Old Jun 20th 2016, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Thanks for sending the links. Finally managed to get my score.
401 at the moment. But as should get anther 600 points once the people who have offered me the job complete a LMIA.
Old Jun 20th 2016, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
How long are your clinical components?
I have 4 face to face days to complete in the classroom in October, followed by another 3 days in December. Another 5 face to face days in April next year and then the clinical placement which is 160 hours from May to June.

The rest can all be done online. It would be good to gain some Canadian experience whilst completing the course and cheaper than flying backwards and forward. I could come and stay for 3 months on just my British PassPort but of course then I would not have an income.

I have 13 years of clinical experience in the UK,
Old Jun 20th 2016, 10:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I'm afraid I agree with Silverdragon, I don't think you will be able to get a LMIA/TWP for the position as you've described it. It can't be for casual work, they are only granted for 'proper' full-time jobs. You would have to have guaranteed hours and it be a proper work contract for it to count.

I'd also question the NOC code, 3012 is for registered nurses, but that wouldn't be a relevant NOC code for a CCA. If you search the NOC for CCA, you get 3413, which is Skill Level C, so wouldn't qualify you for EE as a FSW either.

I think that your only option would be to get the employer to offer you a 'proper' job rather than just bits and pieces, and to apply for your LMIA. You'd then have to get a new LMIA once you have become licensed and are working as a nurse, so you could then apply for PR.

HTH, good luck.