Wikiposts

Working Visa Help!!

Old Mar 2nd 2005, 10:11 am
Just Joined

turd_ferguson32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working Visa Help!!

i have a question. i want to get into the film/tv production. i've been to vancouver a few times and i just love it there and would love to work there. i have recently got into film production and noticed that it's pretty big in vancouver. i was just wondering how hard it was to obtain a working visa there? i live in the united states but would love to work there if at all possible. any help in obtaining it would be appreciated. thanks.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 12:05 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Working Visa Help!!

Start your basic education here:

www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/index.html

Originally Posted by turd_ferguson32
i have a question. i want to get into the film/tv production. i've been to vancouver a few times and i just love it there and would love to work there. i have recently got into film production and noticed that it's pretty big in vancouver. i was just wondering how hard it was to obtain a working visa there? i live in the united states but would love to work there if at all possible. any help in obtaining it would be appreciated. thanks.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 8:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Start your basic education here:

www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/index.html
so say i find an employer that would sponsor me, how good r the chances of me getting a working visa? also, how long would the whole process take? thanks a lot.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 10:57 am

If you find employer who is willing to go through job offer validation process (proving to HRSDC that despite extensive, nationwide search no Canadian candidate was found) and providing of course that you have required qualifications and experience for the job, no criminal record, etc. then it is quite simple and fast process, matter of days to couple of weeks. But what will take time is the employer's part - they need to advertise job for about 3 months first and then it will take few weeks for validation.

so say i find an employer that would sponsor me, how good r the chances of me getting a working visa? also, how long would the whole process take? thanks a lot.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

If you find employer who is willing to go through job offer validation process (proving to HRSDC that despite extensive, nationwide search no Canadian candidate was found) and providing of course that you have required qualifications and experience for the job, no criminal record, etc. then it is quite simple and fast process, matter of days to couple of weeks. But what will take time is the employer's part - they need to advertise job for about 3 months first and then it will take few weeks for validation.
wow! they have to do a nationwide search and prove that no one wants the job? it really sounds like the odds are against me. i guess there's just no way around it. thanks a lot.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 3:58 pm

Not that no one wants the job - they need to prove that no qualified Canadian candidate was found.

wow! they have to do a nationwide search and prove that no one wants the job? it really sounds like the odds are against me. i guess there's just no way around it. thanks a lot.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

Not that no one wants the job - they need to prove that no qualified Canadian candidate was found.
oh, ok. but still, the odds are very bad. i mean, to look nationwide and not find anyone, not one, that's not qualified. very disappointing. thanks again for your help andrew.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 7:00 pm
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

oh, ok. but still, the odds are very bad. i mean, to look nationwide and not find anyone, not one, that's not qualified. very disappointing. thanks again for your help andrew.
Bad, but not impossible. There are some here who have done it and if you have a special skill, you may just get lucky. I have been trying for more than 6 mo. now, havent gotten lucky yet, but a few close calls. Still have hope.

Good luck!
Old Mar 4th 2005, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

bartM will become famous soon enough

Don't give up just yet. The employer may formulate the offer in such a way that only you will match it - especially if you have a special skill, language, whatever. As I have understood this is done quite often - imagine a software company that want someone who speaks Icelandic and has connections with Reykjavik's game software developers. Bottom line, if the company wants you, they'll help you out.

Old Mar 4th 2005, 2:04 am
Just Joined

that's right, it's not impossible and that if an employer wants you enough, they'll try to help you i think. thanks a lot for all the words of encouragement. if you don't try, you'll never know, right? maybe i'll be one of those lucky ones. thanks again.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 3:18 am

Yupp. Over 110,000 every year to be exact are entering Canada on work permits.

Originally Posted by mhhp
Bad, but not impossible. There are some here who have done it and if you have a special skill, you may just get lucky. I have been trying for more than 6 mo. now, havent gotten lucky yet, but a few close calls. Still have hope.

Good luck!
Old Mar 4th 2005, 3:51 am
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

Yupp. Over 110,000 every year to be exact are entering Canada on work permits.
Andrew,

Do you happen to know how many of them are intra-company transfers?
Old Mar 5th 2005, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

is there any way to increase my chances of getting a job that i guess someone wouldn't normally think of? also, does there happen to be any websites out there that show employers willing to sponsor? there probably isn't, but i thought i'd ask. thanks.