Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Working for a US company, but working remotely and living in Canada?

Working for a US company, but working remotely and living in Canada?

Old Aug 18th 2016, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

brian3kb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working for a US company, but working remotely and living in Canada?

Hi,

We (myself, other half and 2 youngsters). have been looking at making the move to Montreal (and surrounding area), our French is basic at the moment, but we are ramping up on the studying. Our aim is to move in the next 18-24 months while the kids are still young (2 and 5 currently).

I currently work remotely for a Boston based company from the UK, who pay me in Stirling, and I'm on their UK payroll system so I'm classed as employed rather than self-employed. Looking at the immigration stuff for Quebec area, the only option is self-employed or employed by a company within Quebec. I won't have an issue relocating as far as my employer is concerned, they would switch to paying me in US $, does anyone know if we'd be considered for PR while keeping my employment? I appreciate there would be a few tax hurdles to overcome.

Many thanks for any help or advice!

Brian.
Old Aug 18th 2016, 10:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working for a US company, but working remotely and living in Canada?

Originally Posted by brian3kb
.... I currently work remotely for a Boston based company from the UK, who pay me in Stirling, .....
They pay you in Scotland?

What currency do they pay you in? US dollars, euros, .... or perhaps sterling?

Old Aug 19th 2016, 12:33 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Working for a US company, but working remotely and living in Canada?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
They pay you in Scotland?
Yep, its still part of the UK for now - so no reason why they wouldn't; But if I'm going somewhere cold, I'd rather it not be Scotland - which is why this is in the Canada section.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
What currency do they pay you in?
GBP, EUR or USD
Old Aug 19th 2016, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Do they not mean by a company based in Quebec? Does the company have offices in Quebec?
Old Aug 19th 2016, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

They have offices in the US and UK, but not in Canada unfortunately. It'd be nice to be in the same timezone as work though.

After looking at the backlogs on processing for the CSQ, we have begun looking at the other provinces and territories; my circumstances still aren't covered, but it looks like I could try to get in via the Express Entry scheme - the thing that confuses me there, is do I need a job offer from a Canadian company? Or will I be able to stay in my current job, but just basically relocate?

Thanks!
Old Aug 19th 2016, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian3kb
They have offices in the US and UK, but not in Canada unfortunately. It'd be nice to be in the same timezone as work though.

After looking at the backlogs on processing for the CSQ, we have begun looking at the other provinces and territories; my circumstances still aren't covered, but it looks like I could try to get in via the Express Entry scheme - the thing that confuses me there, is do I need a job offer from a Canadian company? Or will I be able to stay in my current job, but just basically relocate?

Thanks!

Do I need a job offer to get into the Express Entry pool?
No, in most cases you don’t need a job offer.

But, you will need one if you:

are eligible for either the Federal Skilled Worker Program or the Federal Skilled Trades Program, and
do not have enough money to support yourself and your family in Canada.
Even if you don’t need one, you may want to try and find a valid job offer. It will give you a much higher point score, and so a better chance of being invited to apply.
Express Entry
Old Aug 19th 2016, 11:23 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Why not move to Boston, you'll be on the same time zone?
Old Aug 19th 2016, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Even if you don’t need one, you may want to try and find a valid job offer.
Would it be a condition that I would have to accept the job offer in order to get invited via Express Entry? As I'd prefer to continue working in my current role.

My job's NOC is 2174 skill level A and it looks like I would be eligible for the Federal Skilled Worker Program.

Thanks!
Old Aug 20th 2016, 12:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Aviator
Why not move to Boston, you'll be on the same time zone?
Because its near impossible to get into the US, my only real option is an L1, but I'm not a manager, and the company I work for prides themselves on having the majority of staff as remote workers.