Working as a spouse

Old Jul 27th 2016, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

dillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Working as a spouse

Hi everybody, been following the forum for a while and finally signed up. I have a few basic questions that I am hoping to get help with.

Any help would be much appreciated. British citizen looking at moving to Canada, gettiing married next year, been with my partner (Canadian citizen) for 2 years.

1. I read that the Canadian immigration minister mentioned that they want to remove the conditional residency status and grant permanent status immediately. Is that likely to happen? If so, when? And is it likely that processing times for inland and outland applications will get quicker?

2. Is it possible to go to apply for a spousal visa when I'm visiting my partner in Canada? If so, would I have to stay in Canada until my application was approved/rejected?

3. If applying as an outland spouse, if approved and given some sort of residency status, is it possible to work when you get to Canada or do you have to apply for a permit?

4. Out of the two, which is the method that most go with?

5. How often are conditional resident status' visas given - is that just for those relationships seem "off"?

Sorry for that long list, but any help is greatly appreciated.

Edit : Apologies for there being so many questions that are not in line with the thread title, I forgot to change it after realising that a single thread would be better than multiple threads.

Last edited by dillajn1n3; Jul 27th 2016 at 12:36 pm. Reason: Explaining edit
Old Jul 27th 2016, 6:29 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working as a spouse

Originally Posted by dillajn1n3
Hi everybody, been following the forum for a while and finally signed up. I have a few basic questions that I am hoping to get help with.

Any help would be much appreciated. British citizen looking at moving to Canada, gettiing married next year, been with my partner (Canadian citizen) for 2 years.

1. I read that the Canadian immigration minister mentioned that they want to remove the conditional residency status and grant permanent status immediately. Is that likely to happen? If so, when? And is it likely that processing times for inland and outland applications will get quicker?

2. Is it possible to go to apply for a spousal visa when I'm visiting my partner in Canada? If so, would I have to stay in Canada until my application was approved/rejected?

3. If applying as an outland spouse, if approved and given some sort of residency status, is it possible to work when you get to Canada or do you have to apply for a permit?

4. Out of the two, which is the method that most go with?

5. How often are conditional resident status' visas given - is that just for those relationships seem "off"?

Sorry for that long list, but any help is greatly appreciated.

Edit : Apologies for there being so many questions that are not in line with the thread title, I forgot to change it after realising that a single thread would be better than multiple threads.
Welcome to BE!

1) Your guess is as good as mine, unfortunately!

2) a) Yes, but only if you are married or are living as common-law partners for a minimum of 12 months prior to application.
b) You would not have to stay in Canada unless you made an "inland application" (but see a)

3) Applying 'outland' there is no residency status until you land as a PR. You can come and stay in Canada under dual intent, but have no right to work.
If you applied "inland" you could apply for a work permit, however, inland processing is much longer and you would need to remain in Canada during processing

4) The majority go with 'outland' as it is far quicker (but see 1a!)

5) At present, conditional PR is given to those who have been in the relationship for 2 years or less and who do not have children. Information for Sponsored Spouses or Partners

Hopefully that give you some basics but if you need more info, have a good read of our great wiki posts which you will find here >

Spousal Sponsorship-Canada : British Expat Wiki
Spousal Sponsorship-Canada/FAQ : British Expat Wiki

Old Jul 28th 2016, 3:30 am
Just Joined

dillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond reputedillajn1n3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Welcome to BE!

1) Your guess is as good as mine, unfortunately!

2) a) Yes, but only if you are married or are living as common-law partners for a minimum of 12 months prior to application.
b) You would not have to stay in Canada unless you made an "inland application" (but see a)

3) Applying 'outland' there is no residency status until you land as a PR. You can come and stay in Canada under dual intent, but have no right to work.
If you applied "inland" you could apply for a work permit, however, inland processing is much longer and you would need to remain in Canada during processing

4) The majority go with 'outland' as it is far quicker (but see 1a!)

5) At present, conditional PR is given to those who have been in the relationship for 2 years or less and who do not have children. Information for Sponsored Spouses or Partners

Hopefully that give you some basics but if you need more info, have a good read of our great wiki posts which you will find here >

Spousal Sponsorship-Canada : British Expat Wiki
Spousal Sponsorship-Canada/FAQ : British Expat Wiki

Wow, thank you for an awesome welcome and response.

So, just to be sure, if doing an outland application, if that gets approved, a spouse is allowed to look for a job and work straight away ?

Do you know how long those applications normally take? I saw 13/14 months on the website, but is that just the average? How do you get it processed quicker?

And to become a Canadian citizen would take at least 6 years, right?

And I shall definitely have a read through those wikis again, I have read them before, but sometimes getting a direct response to your situation makes it easier to understand.

And I hope you have a lovely day
Old Jul 28th 2016, 5:59 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Wow, thank you for an awesome welcome and response.

So, just to be sure, if doing an outland application, if that gets approved, a spouse is allowed to look for a job and work straight away ?

Do you know how long those applications normally take? I saw 13/14 months on the website, but is that just the average? How do you get it processed quicker?

And to become a Canadian citizen would take at least 6 years, right?

And I shall definitely have a read through those wikis again, I have read them before, but sometimes getting a direct response to your situation makes it easier to understand.

And I hope you have a lovely day
1. No, a spousal "outland" application doesn't entitle the applicant to work, s/he would require an approved LMIA.
2. To get your application processed quicker, you submit a complete application with no gaps, so that IRCC doesn't request further information.
3. No, under the present law, you could be eligible in 4 years, if you resided in Canada without leaving after you receive your PR. There is a bill before the house to reduce it back to 3 year residency in 5. Next step probably the Liberals will include a citizenship certificate in a crackerjack box.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 6:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. No, a spousal "outland" application doesn't entitle the applicant to work, s/he would require an approved LMIA.
2. To get your application processed quicker, you submit a complete application with no gaps, so that IRCC doesn't request further information.
3. No, under the present law, you could be eligible in 4 years, if you resided in Canada without leaving after you receive your PR. There is a bill before the house to reduce it back to 3 year residency in 5. Next step probably the Liberals will include a citizenship certificate in a crackerjack box.
I had done some research but was a little confused by it. I thought for some odd reason that a work permit/LMIA was only required if on a temp visit visa, currently residing in the country or looking to obtain a work visa.

I wouldn't make the move to Canada until my spousal visa application was approved (that would give me conditional PR or PR, right?) , and I'd read that you would be able to work once you have secured that visa and (C)PR status and moved to Canada.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 6:23 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I had done some research but was a little confused by it. I thought for some odd reason that a work permit/LMIA was only required if on a temp visit visa, currently residing in the country or looking to obtain a work visa.

I wouldn't make the move to Canada until my spousal visa application was approved (that would give me conditional PR or PR, right?) , and I'd read that you would be able to work once you have secured that visa and (C)PR status and moved to Canada.
You cannot work without a work permit, unless you are a Permanent Resident (PR) or Citizen.

If you applied "Inland" then you could apply for a work permit as an Inland Spousal applicant - see here: Notice – Update on work permits for spouses and common-law partners applying for permanent residence from within Canada

If you applied "Outland" but wanted to be in Canada during processing and work then you would need to find an employer willing to go the LMIA route. If you wanted to be in Canada as a visitor during processing but not work, you would not require one.

Spousal applications are not a 'visa', they are an application for Permanent Residence status. Once you have 'landed' as a PR, you are free to work anywhere in Canada.

The "Conditional" part is purely to make sure that you remain living with your spouse in a genuine relationship for a period of 2 years after you have been granted PR.

Hope that helps

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 28th 2016 at 6:25 am.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 6:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You cannot work without a work permit, unless you are a Permanent Resident (PR) or Citizen.

If you applied "Inland" then you could apply for a work permit as an Inland Spousal applicant - see here: Notice – Update on work permits for spouses and common-law partners applying for permanent residence from within Canada

If you applied "Outland" then you would need to find an employer willing to go the LMIA route.

Spousal applications are not a 'visa', they are an application for Permanent Residence status. Once you have 'landed' as a PR, you are free to work anywhere in Canada.

The "Conditional" part is purely to make sure that you remain living with your spouse in a genuine relationship for a period of 2 years after you have been granted PR.

Hope that helps
Thank you

Sorry if I sound like an idiot, I do appreciate the help.

So, the plan is for my partner to apply to bring me, the spouse, to Canada. I wouldn't move or look for a job in Canada unless I have successfully been approved to come over as a spouse. And that would be done as an outward application.

Would I only need a LMIA/work permit if I moved before/whilst the application was being approved?

If I moved after being granted the spousal application (currently have no plans to move or look for work in Canada until after getting a spousal decision), does that then make me a PR? If not, how do I become a PR?

And if I did get approval to move as a spouse, would I then still require to look for LMIA approved roles (or apply for a work permit) or could I then look at any job like any normal Canadian?

I would be visiting numerous times during the time the application is being processed, would that be okay?

Thank you again
Old Jul 28th 2016, 7:33 am
Banned

Thank you

Sorry if I sound like an idiot, I do appreciate the help.

No need for apologies, it's a bit overwhelming I know!

So, the plan is for my partner to apply to bring me, the spouse, to Canada. I wouldn't move or look for a job in Canada unless I have successfully been approved to come over as a spouse. And that would be done as an outward application.

Your partner can apply to sponsor you for Permanent Residence as their spouse but only if you are either married or have lived in a common-law situation for a minimum of 12 months.

Would I only need a LMIA/work permit if I moved before/whilst the application was being approved?

You would only need a work permit if you wanted to work in Canada prior to becoming a permanent resident. You can come to Canada as a visitor under dual intent without working.

If I moved after being granted the spousal application (currently have no plans to move or look for work in Canada until after getting a spousal decision), does that then make me a PR? If not, how do I become a PR?

Yes. You will be issued with a document called a COPR (Confirmation of Permanent Residence) - this gets endorsed when you arrive at the airport / border crossing. Once you have gone through the formalities and signed the document, had it stamped etc., you become a PR. If you have conditional PR then it will state that - but you have all the rights of a non conditional PR, you just have to remain with your partner for 2 years (then it's converted to a normal PR status).

And if I did get approval to move as a spouse, would I then still require to look for LMIA approved roles (or apply for a work permit) or could I then look at any job like any normal Canadian?

No, you wouldn't need an LMIA or any kind of work permit. You would be a Permanent Resident. (You couldn't apply to become a Canadian Citizen for 3-4 years after though).

I would be visiting numerous times during the time the application is being processed, would that be okay?

Yes!

Thank you again
Don't worry - it's a lot to take in, we understand that!

I would strongly suggest you read through the 2 links I gave you to the wiki - they really do explain everything, step by step.

Old Jul 28th 2016, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

I just want to say thank you again for clearing that up for me.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 7:34 pm
Banned

I just want to say thank you again for clearing that up for me.
You are very welcome! If you've any other questions please feel free to ask! We'll do our best to guide you if we can!