Working remotely, spousal visa

Old Sep 29th 2013, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

Deadgoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working remotely, spousal visa

Hi all...

Looking for some advice.

My Canadian fiancée and I are getting married next summer. Currently I’m residing in the UK (British citizen) and she lives in Canada, we're looking to move permanently to Toronto next summer. We’ve been together 2 years, for the last year we have travelled between the UK and Canada, my job allows me a degree of flexibility and I can work remotely when I’m visiting.

Now I work for a big US bank and my role is a global role in that I deal with projects involving many businesses across the globe, I don’t have to be based in any one location. This excludes Canada as we don’t have a big presence there. I have spoken to my managers and they are comfortable with me working remotely from Canada, or even using some of our offices there, however they are not willing to sponsor me for a work visa as I don’t have any need from a business standpoint to be in Canada and they can’t justify it. As such, is it possible for me to work remotely, getting paid to my UK account and paying taxes in the UK whilst living in Canada on a long term basis?

I guess I’ll be on a standard tourist visa at first and then this will become a spousal visa once the paper work goes through. Can you only apply for the spousal visa once married or can you set the ball in motion prior to the big day? From what i’ve read it seems to make more sense to apply for an out-country visa also.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 11:48 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working remotely, spousal visa

Hi

Originally Posted by Deadgoon
Hi all...

Looking for some advice.

My Canadian fiancée and I are getting married next summer. Currently I’m residing in the UK (British citizen) and she lives in Canada, we're looking to move permanently to Toronto next summer. We’ve been together 2 years, for the last year we have travelled between the UK and Canada, my job allows me a degree of flexibility and I can work remotely when I’m visiting.

Now I work for a big US bank and my role is a global role in that I deal with projects involving many businesses across the globe, I don’t have to be based in any one location. This excludes Canada as we don’t have a big presence there. I have spoken to my managers and they are comfortable with me working remotely from Canada, or even using some of our offices there, however they are not willing to sponsor me for a work visa as I don’t have any need from a business standpoint to be in Canada and they can’t justify it. As such, is it possible for me to work remotely, getting paid to my UK account and paying taxes in the UK whilst living in Canada on a long term basis?

I guess I’ll be on a standard tourist visa at first and then this will become a spousal visa once the paper work goes through. Can you only apply for the spousal visa once married or can you set the ball in motion prior to the big day? From what i’ve read it seems to make more sense to apply for an out-country visa also.

Thanks in advance.
1. You can work remotely for non-Canadian companies, but DON'T show up in one of the Canadian offices at all.
2. Unless you have been in a common/law marriage, i.e. lived together for 1 year, you will have to wait until you are married to be sponsored. You can start to get the required documents together for the application, but don't obtain your police certificates right away, as they can only be 3 months old when submitted with the application.
3. Out of country is faster these days, but check the processing times prior to completing the sponsorship and application.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 1:59 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

There's a spreadsheet linked in my signature that shows the processing times for people applying outland via London. Keep in mind that the people applying tend to have straight-forward cases, so this isn't gospel, just an indication you can use to inform yourself. The advertised processing times on the CIC website is 1 month for Sponsor Approval, and 10 months for PR... but average total time according to the spreadsheet is about 6 months.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 4:59 am
Just Joined

Deadgoon is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks both,

This is very useful information.

I'm surprised I wouldn't be able to work from the office from time to time as I really won't have any dealings with the Canadian arm of the business. Once I get my permanent residency will I be able to or is this still not advised?

I assume I'd just continue to pay my taxes in the UK. Is there a process around this? Would I need to pay anything in Canada too?

Also if my company allowed it, could I be put onto Canadian payroll, or would I need to keep getting paid in the UK?

Hopefully my case will be fairly straight forward. We can fully evidence our 2 years together and I like to think we're both upstanding member of society However I guess there can always be issues.

Last edited by Deadgoon; Oct 1st 2013 at 5:05 am.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 5:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Once you get PR status you can basically work for whoever you want.
As for taxes then Im pretty sure the Canada Revenue Agency website will advise you if your earnings would be taxable in Canada.
Once you are put on the Canadian payroll then you would be subject to Canadian laws and taxes plus if not a PR then you would require a work permit as you would be deemed working for a Canadian company.