Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

working off campus when on study permit

working off campus when on study permit

Old Nov 3rd 2008, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud of
Default working off campus when on study permit

My son started High School, on a study permit, at the end of August this year. At first he did not plan on finding part-time work, but he has now been offered a job.

His study permit states that he can not work.

Who do I have to contact, and how long would it take to get him some sort of a work permit to work weekends?
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: working off campus when on study permit

When we were looking at studying, the university had all the details on their international students pages, and you could apply for an 'off-campus work permit' after 3 months I think. I have no idea if high school students are extended this privilege or not, although I suspect they may not be... hopefully someone will be along who has some experience ...
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 6:35 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by debbiem
When we were looking at studying, the university had all the details on their international students pages, and you could apply for an 'off-campus work permit' after 3 months I think. I have no idea if high school students are extended this privilege or not, although I suspect they may not be... hopefully someone will be along who has some experience ...
High school students are not eligible for off/on campus work permits.
from www.cic.gc.ca

"The Off-Campus Work Permit Program allows certain foreign students to work off campus while completing their studies. To qualify, you must be a full-time student enrolled at a participating publicly funded post-secondary educational institution or in an approved program at an eligible privately funded institution.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud of

Thank you for your replies. My son will be very disappointed.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:30 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheCanes
Thank you for your replies. My son will be very disappointed.
I know how you feel. My son had the same experience when we lived in the USA, and his dad was working on a visa that didn't permit family members to work.

When we moved on from Houston to Melbourne, Australia allowed dependents of temporary work permit holders to work. From our kids' point of view, it definitely made a difference for the better.

All I can say is that I hope you'll get your PR visas soon.
x
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
I know how you feel. My son had the same experience when we lived in the USA, and his dad was working on a visa that didn't permit family members to work.

When we moved on from Houston to Melbourne, Australia allowed dependents of temporary work permit holders to work. From our kids' point of view, it definitely made a difference for the better.

All I can say is that I hope you'll get your PR visas soon.
x
Thanks Judy.