Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Working for L'arche as Live in Caregiver

Working for L'arche as Live in Caregiver

Old Aug 22nd 2007, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Nowhere has a spectacular aura aboutNowhere has a spectacular aura aboutNowhere has a spectacular aura about
Default Working for L'arche as Live in Caregiver

Apparently, if applying to work within an organisation such as L'Arche, one does not require a LMO as it is considered charitable work. Does anyone know if working as a live in assistant with L'Arche qualifies as working under the Live in Caregiver Programme? I have read/heard that for live in caregiver jobs, you must have a LMO.

Thanks
Nowhere
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 9:01 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working for L'arche as Live in Caregiver

Originally Posted by Nowhere
Apparently, if applying to work within an organisation such as L'Arche, one does not require a LMO as it is considered charitable work.
I don't know what kind of work is classified as charitable work. But it does seem to be true that charitable workers don't need LMOs in order to get work permits. That's how I read CIC's web page on workers who don't need LMOs.

Does anyone know if working as a live in assistant with L'Arche qualifies as working under the Live in Caregiver Programme? I have read/heard that for live in caregiver jobs, you must have a LMO.
I don't know. This is how the relevant CIC web page has to say:
Live-in caregivers are individuals who are qualified to provide care for children, elderly persons or persons with disabilities in private homes without supervision. Live-in caregivers must live in the private home where they work in Canada.
If I had to guess, based on my understanding of English, you would have a better chance of being classified as a charitable worker than as a live-in caregiver. The website about the live-in caregiver program does state that the caregiver must live in the employers' home, and it also states that the employer has to obtain an LMO before hiring the caregiver. Although L'Arche tries to create residences that have a family-like atmosphere, they are not in fact private homes.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Nowhere has a spectacular aura aboutNowhere has a spectacular aura aboutNowhere has a spectacular aura about

THanks for your input, greatly appreciated. I had a friend who worked for them and I was given the impression he was working under the live in care programme - he got his work permit fairly easy - I assume it is far easier to get a work permit if the work is charitable?
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 2:47 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

THanks for your input, greatly appreciated. I had a friend who worked for them and I was given the impression he was working under the live in care programme - he got his work permit fairly easy - I assume it is far easier to get a work permit if the work is charitable?
Well, Citizenship and Immigration Canada's website, to which I provided you a link in an earlier post, does say that charitable workers don't need an LMO.

Since you yourself used the term LMO in your original post, I assumed you knew what it meant.

In case you don't know, it's the positive Labout Market Opinion that the prospective employer has to obtain from Human Resources and Social Development Canada. In order to get a positive LMO from HRSDC, the employer has to demonstrate that he/she has recruited for the position (and that includes placing advertisements across Canada) and that he/she has been unable to attract a local resident who is qualified for the job.

It goes without saying that, if your prospective employer is not obliged to obtain an LMO before you can apply for your work permit, it makes it enormously easier to get that work permit.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

yes I wax aware of what lmo meant, I Just wondered if there were any other obstacles as there are in normal app's such as proving you are qualifed, experienced etc

thanks!
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 4:10 pm
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute

yes I wax aware of what lmo meant, I Just wondered if there were any other obstacles as there are in normal app's such as proving you are qualifed, experienced etc

thanks!

Hi Nowhere, just wondered if you had seen this on L'Arche's website?

http://www.larche.ca/en/home/opportunities/faqs/#a-21

How can a person from another country apply to be assistant in Canada?
L'Arche Canada welcomes many assistants from around the world, offering them a modest stipend. Applicants receive a special work visa that permits them to work in L'Arche but not elsewhere in Canada. A basic knowledge of English or, in Quebec, French is a requirement. Sometimes, applicants are also requested to visit or spend some time in a L'Arche community in or closer to their own country before coming to Canada. The application process requires the normal medical and criminal record checks but is less complicated than if you were coming to Canada to compete for a job with other Canadians. To request an application form, click here
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

Louise

Yes I had thanks.. I've actually been in touch with them and they have suggested I proceed with my application. Obviously it is not ideal as I really want to be working under the live in caregiver programme, but it may help until I can get a live in caregiver position that works under the programme.

Thanks

N