Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Working holiday visa, and work permit for dependent

Working holiday visa, and work permit for dependent

Old Jul 24th 2019, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

eversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Working holiday visa, and work permit for dependent

Hello,

We are British citizens, and looking to migrate to BC.
Using the working holiday option for my wife (she's 29) seems to be the straight forward way - she hasn't worked last few years, but could work in Canada if need to. Can someone please clarify the following:
  1. Someone told me, I can get a work permit as a dependent - but will I get this at entry or do I have to wait till she is employed? if I have to wait till she is employed, how long would it take me roughly to go through this process and obtain the work permit?
  2. I will be freelancing with the work permit. Will my experience then not count towards Canadian experience (for express entry after a year or two)?

Thank you.
Old Jul 24th 2019, 3:11 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working holiday visa, and work permit for dependent

Originally Posted by eversmannx
Hello,

We are British citizens, and looking to migrate to BC.
Using the working holiday option for my wife (she's 29) seems to be the straight forward way - she hasn't worked last few years, but could work in Canada if need to. Can someone please clarify the following:
  1. Someone told me, I can get a work permit as a dependent - but will I get this at entry or do I have to wait till she is employed? if I have to wait till she is employed, how long would it take me roughly to go through this process and obtain the work permit?
  2. I will be freelancing with the work permit. Will my experience then not count towards Canadian experience (for express entry after a year or two)?

Thank you.
Hello!

You would only be able to apply for an open work permit if your spouse obtains a skilled job. Once she did then you would need to apply for a spousal open work permit on the back of hers. She would need to be actually working with a contract of employment for you to do so.

Freelancing will not count towards Canadian Experience at all. You would need to be employed for your work to count for Immigration purposes (i.e. additional points for EE).
You're a spouse or family member of someone working or studying temporarily in Canada

You may be eligible for an open work permit if you’re:

a spouse of a skilled worker in an occupation under the National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill type 0, A or B approved to work in Canada six months or longer

a spouse of someone applying for the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program in a job under NOC 0, A, B or C

If your spouse has an open work permit (e.g. IEC work permit), you must attach a copy of your spouse’s work permit to your application for an open work permit, along with:

a letter from your spouse’s current employer that confirms they work there in a NOC 0, A or B occupation, or a copy of your spouse’s employment offer or contract, and
a copy of your spouse’s recent pay slips

Types of work permits for your situation

Looking at your previous posts.. did you look at the tech pilot project for BC? If you got here on an IEC and were able to secure a job offer, this might be a route for you to PR.. and potentially your own twp. https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...PNP-Tech-Pilot
Opens in new tab, no download - info sheet:https://www.welcomebc.ca/getmedia/2b...rkers.pdf.aspx

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 24th 2019 at 3:18 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

eversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very much for confirming the details.

I did come across the tech pilot route in this forum and had a look around. This would be a straight forward option for me to get PR, however looking at a few jobs advertised with salary are not very attractive for the moment (i.e. less than half). I should still keep this option open.

My takeaways are:
  • Since my client is allowing me to freelance from BC (which is not normal for my industry), my preference would be to start freelancing from the get go.
  • Even if a particular route is going to cost me a bit more, freelancing from the beginning will help me cover the cost.
  • Wife's holiday visa option seems to have a few ifs and buts and ideally I want to arrive in Canada with a solid route to PR

Currently I am researching 3 options:
  • Try the tech pilot route, manage with the lower salary for a year and then I can freelance. Since myself and family will arrive with PR, there are no ifs and buts
  • Find an "Umbrella company" - not sure what the term is in Canada - but I read it's similar to UK - they will bill the client and give me a salary as an employee. I will end up paying more in tax/fees, but less hassle as they will also sort out a work permit? so I guess I could go through express entry after a year or 2 of canadian experience.
  • Setup a branch of my limited company in Canada and do ICT - this seems to be a lot of work and costly - but I can get the higher pay from the beginning - and if its compensates the fees, then no problem. But since freelancing doesn't count towards Canadian experience I am not sure how to accumulate those extra points for PR - is it possible to freelance while being employed at another company.

Any advice on these would be much appreciated.
​​​​​​
Old Jul 25th 2019, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very much for confirming the details.

I did come across the tech pilot route in this forum and had a look around. This would be a straight forward option for me to get PR, however looking at a few jobs advertised with salary are not very attractive for the moment (i.e. less than half). I should still keep this option open.

My takeaways are:
  • Since my client is allowing me to freelance from BC (which is not normal for my industry), my preference would be to start freelancing from the get go.
  • Even if a particular route is going to cost me a bit more, freelancing from the beginning will help me cover the cost.
  • Wife's holiday visa option seems to have a few ifs and buts and ideally I want to arrive in Canada with a solid route to PR

Currently I am researching 3 options:
  • Try the tech pilot route, manage with the lower salary for a year and then I can freelance. Since myself and family will arrive with PR, there are no ifs and buts
  • Find an "Umbrella company" - not sure what the term is in Canada - but I read it's similar to UK - they will bill the client and give me a salary as an employee. I will end up paying more in tax/fees, but less hassle as they will also sort out a work permit? so I guess I could go through express entry after a year or 2 of canadian experience.
  • Setup a branch of my limited company in Canada and do ICT - this seems to be a lot of work and costly - but I can get the higher pay from the beginning - and if its compensates the fees, then no problem. But since freelancing doesn't count towards Canadian experience I am not sure how to accumulate those extra points for PR - is it possible to freelance while being employed at another company.

Any advice on these would be much appreciated.
​​​​​​
I don’t think option 3 will work tbh. ICTs are scrutinized heavily, are not easy to qualify for.snd not intended as a route for freelancers/self employed. Details are here but the vital information is below:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-code-c12.html

Requirements for the company

• Generally, the company must secure physical premises to house the Canadian operation, particularly in the case of specialized knowledge. However, in specific cases involving senior managers or executives, it would be acceptable that the address of the new start-up not yet be secured; for example, the company may use its counsel’s address until the executive can purchase or lease a premise.
  • The company must furnish realistic plans to staff the new operation.
  • The company must have the financial ability to commence business in Canada and compensate employees.
  • When transferring executives or managers, the company must
    • demonstrate that it will be large enough to support executive or management function.
  • When transferring a specialized knowledge worker, the company must
    • demonstrate that it is expected to be doing business;
    • ensure that work is guided and directed by management at the Canadian operation.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 12:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

+1 to the ICT not being a feasible route as a one man band. I also don't think the umbrella company idea will work, if you are only using it to continue working for your current client in the UK, a LMIA wouldn't be granted for that.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I also don't think the umbrella company idea will work, if you are only using it to continue working for your current client in the UK, a LMIA wouldn't be granted for that.
Client is a global corp, so my contract would be with the Canadian arm (in Toronto). would that help?
p.s. are "Umbrella companies" called the same in Canada or is there a different term.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Client is a global corp, so my contract would be with the Canadian arm (in Toronto). would that help?
p.s. are "Umbrella companies" called the same in Canada or is there a different term.
might be difficult for a Toronto based company to get an LMIA for an employee who is going to be based in BC, I.e. they may not see you as a bonafide employee.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 1:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I just can't see how they could advertise the job across Canada and be able to prove no Canadian is willing, or able, to do it. If the salary is really double the norm, then surely they'd be inundated with Canadians wanting it? It must also be a proper job, with a location and company, if it's just you working from home then again it won't cut it.

Not a clue, sorry!
Old Jul 25th 2019, 1:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad

might be difficult for a Toronto based company to get an LMIA for an employee who is going to be based in BC, I.e. they may not see you as a bonafide employee.
Good point - definitely not going to work unless there is an office in BC that the OP will be based at?
Old Jul 25th 2019, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks guys,

Seems like BC tech pilot route is the best route and less hassle (in terms getting to PR straight and not worry about ifs and buts with moving my family)

Freelance from BC (to a Toranto client or US client) after getting PR won't be a problem right?
Old Jul 25th 2019, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks guys,

Seems like BC tech pilot route is the best route and less hassle (in terms getting to PR straight and not worry about ifs and buts with moving my family)

Freelance from BC (to a Toranto client or US client) after getting PR won't be a problem right?
once you have PR you can do pretty much what you want provided it’s legal
Old Jul 25th 2019, 4:25 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Then you would need to be applying to Ontario for PNP, not BC! Employer of Record, do you mean.. that won't work, for PNP.

Thanks guys,

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad

once you have PR you can do pretty much what you want provided it’s legal
Not quite - if you are a Provincial Nominee then you are expected to live and work in the Province of nomination for at least a couple of years - enough to prove that you have made every effort to settle there. Failure to do so i.e. getting PR and moving to Ontario the following year could result in PR being revoked and a removal order for misrepresentation made.

There is nothing to say the OP couldn't work remotely for clients in other Provinces, provided they resided and also worked in BC initially... and met the requirements of the Tech Stream PNP.. failure to do so could again result in PR being revoked. You have to comply with the requirements for PNP.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 25th 2019 at 4:33 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks all,

So, I am looking into the tech pilot process... it says the below:

BC PNP Tech Pilot process

Please note that the BC PNP Tech Pilot is not a separate BC PNP stream or category. Applicants need to apply to the BC PNP under one of the existing categories and ensure they meet the general and category requirements.

The links to different pages and jargons seems a bit confusing.

Are these the options i should be looking at?
https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...C-PNP-pathways

In the context of Tech pilot, what's the difference between "Skilled worker" option and "Express entry BC SKILLED WORKER"?
please advice on the best option for me.

I am also a bit confused as these links keep bringing up the Federal Skilled worker program as part of eligibility. I am guessing this is to asses if I meet the 67 points (rather than the CRS score cut offs).

Am I eligible?

To qualify for this category, you must:
Old Jul 25th 2019, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Then you would need to be applying to Ontario for PNP, not BC! Employer of Record, do you mean.. that won't work, for PNP.

Not quite - if you are a Provincial Nominee then you are expected to live and work in the Province of nomination for at least a couple of years - enough to prove that you have made every effort to settle there. Failure to do so i.e. getting PR and moving to Ontario the following year could result in PR being revoked and a removal order for misrepresentation made.

There is nothing to say the OP couldn't work remotely for clients in other Provinces, provided they resided and also worked in BC initially... and met the requirements of the Tech Stream PNP.. failure to do so could again result in PR being revoked. You have to comply with the requirements for PNP.
good point
Old Jul 27th 2019, 4:21 am
Banned

You might find these of use.. a bit easier to understand than the other official pages! (they open in a new tab, no download needed)

https://www.welcomebc.ca/getmedia/31...-2018.pdf.aspx
https://www.welcomebc.ca/getmedia/2b...rkers.pdf.aspx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.