Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Working holiday visa - sponsorship

Working holiday visa - sponsorship

Old Nov 3rd 2007, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

clare to canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working holiday visa - sponsorship

Hello folks,

I have a couple of little questions:

I'm looking to move to Canada next year but do not have a job offer, so I was looking at going down the 'working holiday' route.

Has anyone out there managed to gain sponsorship, thus many years in canada after secureing a job through the working holiday programme?

Do you know if the sponsorship can carry on through visa age restrictions? ie. the working holiday visa is up until 35.

Thanks already
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 8:38 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working holiday visa - sponsorship

Hi, clare to canada, and welcome to the forum.

It is quite a feat to go from a working holiday visa in Canada to something more permanent. But there are some members of this forum who have managed to pull it off.

The ones who spring to mind are in British Columbia. The ones of whom I am thinking went to BC on working holiday visas through BUNAC. Then they managed to get into BC's Provincial Nominee Program which, in turn, led to Permanent Residence. One British Expats member of whom I am thinking lives in Victoria, and the entire process has been completed for her, as I understand it. Another member lives in Vancouver and, for her, the process may not be quite finished, but is very close to completion.

Unfortunately, the working visa holiday age cut off has been reduced from 35 to 30 for the non-student category. Also, for a British citizen, the working holiday visa is valid for 12 months. As far as I understand it, the visa cannot be renewed or extended.

I really didn't understand your question about sponsorship and age restrictions and what not. Yes, there is an age restriction on the working holiday visa. No, the working holiday visa cannot be extended. Yes, while you're in Canada on a working holiday visa, you may be able to arrange some other type of visa. For example, you may be able to find a prospective employer who is willing to sponsor you application for the relevant province's Provincial Nominee Program (PNP). That authorization, in turn, will lead to an application for Permanent Residence (PR), and your application may be successful. As I said before, it is not easy, but others have done it.

PNP and PR applications don't have age restrictions on them as such. True, after a certain age, you start losing points on a PR application that you submit via the Skilled Worker route, but you clearly are nowhere near that point yet.

I suggest you start your familiarization tour by reading all of the articles in the BE Wiki section on Canadian Immigration. There are several articles. I suggest you plough through all of them.

Next, read all the articles in the BE Wiki section on Job Hunting in Canada.

Edited to add that the cut off age for BUNAC (working holiday visa) is a bit confusing. Here is a recent discussion thread entitled What?!!! Bunac have reduced the age limit overnight!

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; Nov 3rd 2007 at 8:46 pm. Reason: Added link to discussion about BUNAC age limit.