Wikiposts

Working holiday visa

Old Nov 9th 2005, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

Lotte Bell has a brilliant futureLotte Bell has a brilliant futureLotte Bell has a brilliant futureLotte Bell has a brilliant futureLotte Bell has a brilliant futureLotte Bell has a brilliant future
Default Working holiday visa

Hello!

I am a British Citizen with a Canadian boyfriend. I will be going to Canada in Febuary for a year with a working holiday visa. We have been talking about getting married sometime soon in the future.

I was wondering if its possible that we would get married and he would then sponsor me while I'm there on the working holiday visa so I could work during the time it takes for the sponsorship procedure to go through? What other possibilites do we have so that I could stay in Canada after the working holiday visa runs out?

I would be really grateful for any help and advice you could give me!

Thank you,

Best wishes,

Lotte
Old Nov 9th 2005, 2:41 am
Banned

joeboy_UK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Working holiday visa

Well you don't neccesarily have to begin the sponsership process directly after you get married. The new rules for the Family class within canada mean that if you began the process after your BUNAC work permit runs out mean that you can remain in canada while the process is happening, although you will not be eligible to work during this time unless you get a work permit for a specific job.

After around 6-8 months you will recieve AIP and be able to apply for an open work permit, then between 9 to 12 months you will become a PR.

Alternatively, being that he is a canadian citizen he can sponser you from the UK.

Also, have you cohabited for at least 1 year? If so then when you arrive you can begin the sponsership process directly under the common law class, by the time your BUNAC work permit has expired the process should be complete anyway.

hope this helps
Old Nov 9th 2005, 7:34 am
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lotte Bell
Hello!

I am a British Citizen with a Canadian boyfriend. I will be going to Canada in Febuary for a year with a working holiday visa. We have been talking about getting married sometime soon in the future.

I was wondering if its possible that we would get married and he would then sponsor me while I'm there on the working holiday visa so I could work during the time it takes for the sponsorship procedure to go through? What other possibilites do we have so that I could stay in Canada after the working holiday visa runs out?

I would be really grateful for any help and advice you could give me!

Thank you,

Best wishes,

Lotte
Hi Lotte,

I have the benefit of hindsight when answering your question, so please pay it credence. I cannot possibly comment on your relationship with your B/Friend etc, etc. What I would say is: If you know that deep inside yourself that Canada is where you want to be, then do everything you can to stay there.
I kick myself every day for my extremely laissez-faire attitude when it came to finding out my options and now find myself miserable and alone in the UK.

Do what you gotta do and I hope evrything pans out for you.

Extremely Sincerely,

Geo.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Lotte Bell has a brilliant futureLotte Bell has a brilliant futureLotte Bell has a brilliant futureLotte Bell has a brilliant futureLotte Bell has a brilliant futureLotte Bell has a brilliant future

Thanks for your help. He is in Canada now and we haven't yet been living together. SO it looks like we willl have to look into other options!

Originally Posted by joeboy_UK
Well you don't neccesarily have to begin the sponsership process directly after you get married. The new rules for the Family class within canada mean that if you began the process after your BUNAC work permit runs out mean that you can remain in canada while the process is happening, although you will not be eligible to work during this time unless you get a work permit for a specific job.

After around 6-8 months you will recieve AIP and be able to apply for an open work permit, then between 9 to 12 months you will become a PR.

Alternatively, being that he is a canadian citizen he can sponser you from the UK.

Also, have you cohabited for at least 1 year? If so then when you arrive you can begin the sponsership process directly under the common law class, by the time your BUNAC work permit has expired the process should be complete anyway.

hope this helps
Old Nov 9th 2005, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Geo,
thanks for your reply. I hope things get better for you.....isn't there any possibility for things to work out for you?

Best wishes,

LOtte

Originally Posted by geo4
Hi Lotte,

I have the benefit of hindsight when answering your question, so please pay it credence. I cannot possibly comment on your relationship with your B/Friend etc, etc. What I would say is: If you know that deep inside yourself that Canada is where you want to be, then do everything you can to stay there.
I kick myself every day for my extremely laissez-faire attitude when it came to finding out my options and now find myself miserable and alone in the UK.

Do what you gotta do and I hope evrything pans out for you.

Extremely Sincerely,

Geo.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 2:29 am
Banned

joeboy_UK is an unknown quantity at this point

Well you don't have to look into other options you just go down the sponsered spouse route after you get married or the common law route after you live together for one year.

Either way you get to stay in canada till the process is finished