Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Working holiday visa 2013 - possible for me to get?

Working holiday visa 2013 - possible for me to get?

Old Jul 1st 2012, 7:37 am
Just Joined

mtbandyuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Working holiday visa 2013 - possible for me to get?

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum but have found it v.useful so-far, so I'm hoping someone can help me further...

I'm currently in BC visiting the Vancouver area and I'm really liking the place, so much so that I'd like to come back more permanently. This would mean obtaining work given how expensive things are. I'm looking at a working holiday visa for 2013 (being from the Uk, 2012 entries are closed) the problem is that there's no real indication as to when applications will be accepted for next year and I turn 31 at the end of October meaning if it's after that I will not be eligible.

I guess what I'm asking is if anyone knows when the scheme will re-open and if it will before I'm officially an oldie also, If there are any other suggestions on how to get in I'd love to hear them. My profession is IT communications but I don't think there is a skills shortage in this area?

Any help or information greatly appreciated!

Many thanks
Andy
Old Jul 1st 2012, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

Siphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant future
Default Re: Working holiday visa 2013 - possible for me to get?

Someone with more knowledge may correct me but I think last year it opened Mid December.

The info page excepts info on next years intake to be published in Autumn.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...nu_id=7&view=d

I'd hazard a guess that it may be December again if information on the intake is only going to be published in Autumn.

You may well be too old of course by then unless they change it to 18-35 which who knows what may happen given the immigration reforms that are underway.

As for IT, it's not been on the list of in demand applications for a few years but that list is immaterial for the time being at least given the immigration reforms underway.

There's always the Labour Market Opinion/Temporary Work Permit route though if you can find an employer willing to go through the LMO for you.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 3:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but it's usually January that it opens, think it was the 5th this year.

As Siporous has wisely said though, do keep an eye on the any changes made to the program just in case, but realistically you're probably going to need a job offer to get to Vancouver as an IT worker.

Good luck.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the help, it seems I may have missed the boat on the WH route

Do you know if there are any key dates that will announce the changes made in the revised immigration rules?
Old Jul 1st 2012, 10:57 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by mtbandyuk
Thanks for the help, it seems I may have missed the boat on the WH route

Do you know if there are any key dates that will announce the changes made in the revised immigration rules?

Maybe the 1st of January 2013. There will legislative changes posted in the Canada Gazette before then though, if there are changes to the point system. (most probably major changes in the points)
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Just another thought, but do keep an eye on the IEC page on the CHC website, as they do sometimes release more visas later in the year (if people don't take them up after all etc). So that's worth checking regularly as well.

Good luck.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough

Past experience shows me it opens early to mid January for the past 2 years, it has always been this way.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 3:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by scottyxx
Past experience shows me it opens early to mid January for the past 2 years, it has always been this way.
Nope, not always. It used to be about the first week in December.

Old Jul 3rd 2012, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Third6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really nice

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Nope, not always. It used to be about the first week in December.

It opened in December this year too, right before Christmas. Year before that was January 16th/17th cause I remember it was on my birthday haha.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

Around the middle of October would do me this year please!