Working with children

Old Oct 15th 2011, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

CoachC is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Working with children

Hi
My husband and my 2 children (age 2 and 6mths)moved to Winnipeg 3 months ago, my husband got a job here and i also have a working visa but when we entered Canada i was told i couldnt work with children....i want to continue my training for Teaching Assistant and im also thinking of doing childcare as im at home with my kids all day anyway, does anyone know what i need to do to be able to work with kids?Is it like a CRB check or a health check?Who do i contact,
Old Oct 15th 2011, 5:56 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working with children

Hi

Originally Posted by CoachC
Hi
My husband and my 2 children (age 2 and 6mths)moved to Winnipeg 3 months ago, my husband got a job here and i also have a working visa but when we entered Canada i was told i couldnt work with children....i want to continue my training for Teaching Assistant and im also thinking of doing childcare as im at home with my kids all day anyway, does anyone know what i need to do to be able to work with kids?Is it like a CRB check or a health check?Who do i contact,

You need to contact CIC, to obtain an IMM 1017 so that you can go to a Designated Medical Practitioner http://www.cic.gc.ca/dmp-md/medical.aspx After the medical you apply for a new work permit with the restriction removed.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 4:59 am
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Coachc, I'm in a similar position to you. We are here on TWP, AINP received and now going through PR process.

I have a 1 year Open Work permit, we are currently awaiting extension to hubby's TWP to be processed. My permit states I am restricted from working as a teacher, amonst other occupations. Although a qualified teacher, I worked as Special Needs TA in the UK with Autistic kids and am now in a position where I am looking to return to doing this here. The restrictions also prohibite me from taking any academic or vocational courses, I was hoping to do a 2 day First Aid and CPR course in the next few weeks so that I am better equiped to return to work. This is now on hold. My husband's company lawyer is currently checking the correct procedures I now have to follow, as the CIC website does not make it clear which office deals with this now (our PR app is at Buffalo, but we have not yet received a file number)

As with everything else I am expecting delays with this.

I am using the time to do as much parent volunteer work in school as possible to keep my hand in and get more familiar with the education system here.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 6:15 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by snowcandy
Hi Coachc, I'm in a similar position to you. We are here on TWP, AINP received and now going through PR process.

I have a 1 year Open Work permit, we are currently awaiting extension to hubby's TWP to be processed. My permit states I am restricted from working as a teacher, amonst other occupations. Although a qualified teacher, I worked as Special Needs TA in the UK with Autistic kids and am now in a position where I am looking to return to doing this here. The restrictions also prohibite me from taking any academic or vocational courses, I was hoping to do a 2 day First Aid and CPR course in the next few weeks so that I am better equiped to return to work. This is now on hold. My husband's company lawyer is currently checking the correct procedures I now have to follow, as the CIC website does not make it clear which office deals with this now (our PR app is at Buffalo, but we have not yet received a file number)

As with everything else I am expecting delays with this.

I am using the time to do as much parent volunteer work in school as possible to keep my hand in and get more familiar with the education system here.
A 2 day CPR course is not going to invalidate your OWP, it is full time studies of more than 6 months that are a no-no.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 12:26 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

I am about to apply for my spousal TWP as well and my profession is with children as well.
The website is currently quoting 77 days for processing online applications from within Canada and my husband's TWP renewal is about to arrive in the next day or two.
I want to work asap, although not necessarily with children, so I was going to get my SWP at POE in the next couple of weeks rather than wait 77 days for it.

We are waiting for Med requests from London VO as part of our PR.
Is the medical for PR the same as the one for working with children and so could I just work in another trade for now and then, when I have the medical for PR just use this for working with children?
Old Oct 17th 2011, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
I am about to apply for my spousal TWP as well and my profession is with children as well.
The website is currently quoting 77 days for processing online applications from within Canada and my husband's TWP renewal is about to arrive in the next day or two.
I want to work asap, although not necessarily with children, so I was going to get my SWP at POE in the next couple of weeks rather than wait 77 days for it.

We are waiting for Med requests from London VO as part of our PR.
Is the medical for PR the same as the one for working with children and so could I just work in another trade for now and then, when I have the medical for PR just use this for working with children?
When I had my medical a few years ago for my TWP, I am a nurse, I was told if my medical request came and it was within a year I didn't have to have another medical. Unfortunately still waiting so will have to get medical. So believe them to be the same. TWP will start restrictions like not work in healthcare or with children