Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Working For A Canadian Company In The States...very Specific Question..

Wikiposts

Working For A Canadian Company In The States...very Specific Question..

Old May 26th 2005, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

viperrt10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working For A Canadian Company In The States...very Specific Question..

Hi Experts,

It has been a month since I got my Canadian PR and I am now employed by a Canadian Company's wholly owned subsidiary in the United States. I know that the Canadian PR regulation loosely states that if you work for a Canadian company outside of Canada that you can count that time towards your PR residency requirements and Citizenship requirement.

However I was unable to find any more specifics on this rule. Does any one have details or more information to share? Am I misinterpreting this rule by any chance?

PS: My monthly pay checks now come from Montreal

Thanks!
Old May 26th 2005, 4:49 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working For A Canadian Company In The States...very Specific Question..

Originally Posted by viperrt10
Hi Experts,

It has been a month since I got my Canadian PR and I am now employed by a Canadian Company's wholly owned subsidiary in the United States. I know that the Canadian PR regulation loosely states that if you work for a Canadian company outside of Canada that you can count that time towards your PR residency requirements and Citizenship requirement.

However I was unable to find any more specifics on this rule. Does any one have details or more information to share? Am I misinterpreting this rule by any chance?

Thanks!
You would have to be working directly for the Canadian company and not through its subsidiary in order to keep your residence status in Canada.
Old May 26th 2005, 5:18 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Working For A Canadian Company In The States...very Specific Question..

1. PR status - you must be employed by company in Canada and assigned to work abroad in order to have those days counted towards residency obligations.

2. Days abroad can be counted towards citizenship only if you are abroad working for Canadian government or Canadian armed forces.

Originally Posted by viperrt10
Hi Experts,

Thanks!
Old May 26th 2005, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

viperrt10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much for the clarification Jim and Andrew!