Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Working in Canada "without status"

Working in Canada "without status"

Old Mar 4th 2008, 2:14 pm
Just Joined
Thread Starter
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 2
WelshinCanada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working in Canada "without status"

Hello, I've been actively searching this forum and many other sources on British immigration to Canada in order to know how to proceed in a particular situation that has come to my attention. Although I think I know the answer, any insight and input would be appreciated.

In brief, about five years ago a Canadian who had been living in England with his British wife and her British son decided to come back to Canada. They proceeded to Canada without any consideration of the immigration processes, assuming that the wife and son would be able to live in Canada unproblematically because of the relationship to the Canadian citizen. Immigration did not question them upon landing, and so, long story short, they've been living in Canada ever since.

My first question is, then, what would their status be? I'm assuming that both the wife and son are now in Canada "without status".

TO add to this story, a couple years ago, they decided to apply for PR under the in-Canada Family class sponsorship program. The person they consulted with misunderstood what they wanted to do and gave them the wrong forms to fill out, which they did.....they were eventually sent back from the CPC-Vegreville.

Now, after all this time, they have finally submitted the correct forms for sponsorship. However, in the time that has elapsed, the son has passed the cut-off age to be considered a dependent child, eligible to be sponsored. They are currently waiting for word from the CPC to see if an exception can be made in their case.

However, in the meantime, the son would very much like to work, as he now has a Canadian child to support. But since he is in Canada "without status", we are not sure what options he has for getting a work permit. If he was to apply for a work permit, I assume that he would have to submit it to the visa office in London; however, would that put him in jeopordy of being deported?

Do any of you have any advice in this situation? What is the best possible option for the son to take right now in order to 1) get a job in Canada, 2)get permanent residency and 3) correct his current status?

Many thanks for any help!
WelshinCanada is offline  
Old Mar 4th 2008, 2:45 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah
Lorna_D's Avatar
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Regina Beach, Saskatchewan
Posts: 3,885
Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in Canada "without status"

Hello and Welcome to BE your question seems complicated and I'm afraid I can't help but I am sure someone will come along and debate the issue soon. There are some very helpful immigration specialist on this site who have been very helpful. good luck
Lorna_D is offline  
Old Mar 4th 2008, 5:10 pm
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 8,984
Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Working in Canada "without status"

1. Situation is too complex and unique that it cannot be assessed (forget solved) on the basis of very limited info provided - all details, circumstances, evidence, etc. must be fully analyzed before it can even be determined if there is a possible, doable and acceptable by parties (as there are two parties now) solution

2. Due to the #1 above it is not something what any expert (including myself) would even consider giving advise on (and doing it for free) in public forum. The only advice that can be given under the circumstances is - seek immediately and retain professional help of authorized immigration lawyer or consultant. Don't try to dig deeper hole than you are already in.
Andrew Miller is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.