Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

working in canada whilst being sponsored?

working in canada whilst being sponsored?

Old Apr 7th 2010, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

miranecola is an unknown quantity at this point
Default working in canada whilst being sponsored?

Hi everyone,
Im going to be married in may move to canada with my husband who is a canadian citizen, where he will then sponsor me for PR. my question is for anyone who has been sponsored whilst living in canada...were u allowed to work whilst being sponsored? or did u have to wait until being accepted as a permanent resident?
some people have said i can and some say i have to have PR..so i just need a clear answer from someone whos actually done it!
Thanks.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Steveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to all
Default Re: working in canada whilst being sponsored?

Hi there,

I believe the answer is very sraight forward. NO you may not work there until you have the appropriate visa from the Canadian authorities. Sorry!!

Best wishes, Steve
Old Apr 7th 2010, 2:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miranecola
Hi everyone,
Im going to be married in may move to canada with my husband who is a canadian citizen, where he will then sponsor me for PR. my question is for anyone who has been sponsored whilst living in canada...were u allowed to work whilst being sponsored? or did u have to wait until being accepted as a permanent resident?
some people have said i can and some say i have to have PR..so i just need a clear answer from someone whos actually done it!
Thanks.
You asked the same question yesterday and I'm afraid the answer is still the same! You will be there on a visitor visa until you get your PR, and you are not legally allowed to work whilst on a visitor visa.

You can job hunt and attend interviews etc, whilst on your visitor visa, but you can't actually work until you have PR.

Good luck.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Can't you apply for a work permit once you're accepted in principal? My memory is a little haze but I know I was working legally before my PR (spousal sponsorship) was finalised.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 5:50 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Can't you apply for a work permit once you're accepted in principal? My memory is a little haze but I know I was working legally before my PR (spousal sponsorship) was finalised.
1. There are two spousal applications, outside Canada, where the applicant can't work until they receive their PR, and In-Canada, where the application goes to Vegreville with a request for an open work permit (OWP). If the application receives AIP (Approval in Principle) at the 5/6 month mark,then the work permit is issued and the application is referred to a local CIC for completion. If No AIP is given, and the application is referred to a local CIC, no OWP is issued.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

miranecola is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,
i didnt know about the 'Approval in principal' so thats made things a bit clearer..and thats obviously the way u did it Elaine?
thanks to everyone for your help
Old Apr 7th 2010, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. There are two spousal applications, outside Canada, where the applicant can't work until they receive their PR, and In-Canada, where the application goes to Vegreville with a request for an open work permit (OWP). If the application receives AIP (Approval in Principle) at the 5/6 month mark,then the work permit is issued and the application is referred to a local CIC for completion. If No AIP is given, and the application is referred to a local CIC, no OWP is issued.
Ah right that explains it thanks PMM for clarifying my confused ramblings
Old Apr 7th 2010, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by miranecola
Hi all,
i didnt know about the 'Approval in principal' so thats made things a bit clearer..and thats obviously the way u did it Elaine?
thanks to everyone for your help
I guess so it was a while ago so my memory is fading. Anyway good luck with the move
Old Apr 7th 2010, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

zoec is an unknown quantity at this point

You would get AIP 5-6 months after submitting your application inside canada. if you submit it outland canada then you could have your PR visa within that time frame or quicker, so it makes sense to send it outland!
Old Apr 8th 2010, 7:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zoec
You would get AIP 5-6 months after submitting your application inside canada. if you submit it outland canada then you could have your PR visa within that time frame or quicker, so it makes sense to send it outland!
^^^^ What she said! If you apply inland the whole process can take 18 months, and although you can work as you get the AIP, that takes around 6 months, whereas an outland application can take as little as 2 months in total!

So would definitely recommend an outland application, then you'll hopefully have PR within 3 months or so. I know the OP has read the Wiki article about Spousal Sponsorship, but it may be worth another read to understand the differences between the two processes.