Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Working in canada - uk citizen marrying canadian

Working in canada - uk citizen marrying canadian

Old Oct 15th 2014, 1:53 am
BE Enthusiast

wardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Working in canada - uk citizen marrying canadian

Hi all,

I am currently working in Canada as of Feb 2014 as a pipefitter. I met my gf two weeks after my arrival and we have been going strong ever since. We have been talking marriage, yet I am unsure how to plan it out as I am on IEC visa and I am going for my second IEC visa and then will be applying after 12 months work for PR under the CEC program.

My gf is from Alberta and we have read a lot about UK citizens getting married to Canadians in Ontario, yet none on the west coast. I am wondering if anyone has experienced or heard of any one being from the UK married to an Albertan or the like and the process they went to do so.

We do not believe in living together prior to marriage and most posts have talked about living together and registering as common law so it seems.

I have seen that some people have just gotten married and then sort out the logistics of citizenship etc after the fact, and once under the same roof. However that almost seems too simple.

Any suggestions would be great. We plan to stay in Canada.
Thanks in Advance.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 2:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in canada - uk citizen marrying canadian

If you are married it is that simple. The Canadian sponsors you and as long as you both meet the eligibility then you can live in Canada while the PR application is being processed. Most choose to do the OUTLAND application as its quicker. You can still do the outland application while living in Canada. Waiting the 7 months plus without working can be a grind unless you can find a company willing to apply for the LMIA. If applying INLAND you couldn't work until you got 1st stage approval which can take as long as the whole OUTLAND application.
You can stay as a visitor if married or common law until PR is granted and can satisfy CBSA that you are married or meet the common law definition and a spousal application has been submitted or is about to be if just recently married.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

wardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond repute

while on this visa with my job I could still work, the outland application attracts her the most as that would mean getting hitched in blighty, but she has been a little struck by the hoops she has to jump through to get chance to marry some forums have said they had to travel back and fourth over 3 weeks! pretty expensive for us, would mean leaving her job and me earning in the UK to pay our bills in Canada (car and rent payments) then to travel back, any advice or correct me if im wrong

thanks for comment lancastrian
Old Oct 15th 2014, 7:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wardy_1990
I have seen that some people have just gotten married and then sort out the logistics of citizenship etc after the fact, and once under the same roof. However that almost seems too simple.
It is that simple, although do note that it wouldn't be citizenship you'd be applying for, it would be Permanent Residency (just the same as you would have done with your CEC app). You can still do the CEC app if you wish as the end result is the same, but the difference with Spousal Sponsorship is that you'd get PR quicker.

while on this visa with my job I could still work, the outland application attracts her the most as that would mean getting hitched in blighty
Not sure why you think that, with an outland application you can get married in Canada, the UK, or Outer Mongolia if you wish, just as you can with an Inland app. The location of the marriage has nothing to do with whether an application is inland or outland.

So you get married (wherever you wish), then apply for PR as her spouse, either via inland or outland - there is a good Wiki article outlining the differences. Failing that, you stick to Plan A and just apply for PR under the CEC if you're not ready to marry yet but want to stay longer.

HTH, good luck.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for your replies people
Old Oct 16th 2014, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Regarding the application for outland while this is underway cannot I not work at all? Is there any other way I can apply for PR and get a bridging visa so I can still work while on IEC?
Were happy to get married but it's a long time not to work while waiting for spousal application.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 3:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding the application for outland while this is underway cannot I not work at all? Is there any other way I can apply for PR and get a bridging visa so I can still work while on IEC?
Were happy to get married but it's a long time not to work while waiting for spousal application.
You wouldn't qualify for a Bridging Open Work Permit if you apply for PR via Spousal Sponsorship unfortunately.

But if you're planning on getting a second IEC, then wouldn't that cover you until you get PR, or are you not planning on getting married for a long time?

The other option (if you're not going to be getting married anytime soon) is that you continue with your plan to apply for PR via the CEC, and then you would qualify for a BOWP.

HTH.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well we had planned September if I land the IEC all will be good.. No pressure lol
Old Oct 17th 2014, 1:12 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Wardy are you saying it's difficult to get married in the UK due to the fact that you girlfriend would have to be there for three weeks for the purpose of getting married? I too found that being three weeks in the UK would have been difficult for us too, so we popped over to Jersey, you only have to be there for three days before you can get married, so you could go to the UK for a visit and then pop for a quick holiday/honeymoon to he Channel Isles and get married. Very best of luck to you both.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Just a quick question, If the spouse gets PR through marriage then applying for citizenship down the line is still do able yeah?
Old Oct 17th 2014, 8:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Just a quick question, If the spouse gets PR through marriage then applying for citizenship down the line is still do able yeah?
Yes, same as anybody else with PR. So still the same eligibility requirements (currently 3 years living as a PR in Canada out of the previous 4, although that's going to increase to 4 years shortly), being married to a Canadian makes no difference.

HTH.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

MrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really nice

Well well well! Have't heard much from you Wardy, so congratulations so far

Regards
Old Oct 17th 2014, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Haha thanks Mr Floyd, I keep telling her not to count her chickens yet but it's pretty much nailed on lol thanks for tip Millie willl pass it on.

Thanks for your hep guys
Old Oct 17th 2014, 2:32 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

I am currently working in Canada as of Feb 2014 as a pipefitter. I met my gf two weeks after my arrival and we have been going strong ever since.

Why does always seem to be easier for British men to find Canadian women then British women finding Canadian men? I'm so far not impressed with the Canadian but then again I am in Vancouver
Old Oct 17th 2014, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Come to Banff n grab yourself an Aussie there's loads, least in Vancouver they can all bake brownies or cookies from what I've heard

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.