Working in Canada

Old Apr 19th 2010, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

Wlouch is just really niceWlouch is just really niceWlouch is just really niceWlouch is just really niceWlouch is just really niceWlouch is just really niceWlouch is just really niceWlouch is just really nice
Default Working in Canada

I have posted a similar story in the US section, this situation is a little more vague im afraid. This is definitely unpaid work in Sound Engineering, a studio in Canada. and I am looking at what i would need to look in to in how to qualify to move over there, even if it was for a shortish period, a year or two.

The situation is, IF the job is offered, it would be an unpaid internship at a recording studio in Vancouver. What are the legal requirements to do so? is it similar legislation to US?

I have no idea on the legalities. sorry to be so vague. Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Will

Last edited by Wlouch; Apr 19th 2010 at 11:34 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 1:18 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in Canada

Originally Posted by Wlouch
I have posted a similar story in the US section, this situation is a little more vague im afraid. This is definitely unpaid work in Sound Engineering, a studio in Canada. and I am looking at what i would need to look in to in how to qualify to move over there, even if it was for a shortish period, a year or two.

The situation is, IF the job is offered, it would be an unpaid internship at a recording studio in Vancouver. What are the legal requirements to do so? is it similar legislation to US?

I have no idea on the legalities. sorry to be so vague. Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Will
If its unpaid you have no chance of the necessary clearance to get a work permit, so its a non starter Im afraid.

You really only have one option I suppose and that the one year, non renewable Bunac (working holiday) visa ,if you qualify for one. There is a limited window of opportunity to apply though as the places are filled very quickly.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 20th 2010 at 1:31 am. Reason: USA bunac is only 4 months.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 1:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Unless Bunac is an option - OP, are you by any chance aged between 18 and 30??
Old Apr 20th 2010, 1:28 am
Just Joined

Wlouch is just really niceWlouch is just really niceWlouch is just really niceWlouch is just really niceWlouch is just really niceWlouch is just really niceWlouch is just really niceWlouch is just really nice

I am indeed between 18 and 30. 24.

If i were to get employed over there full time, in a paid job, how would that affect my chances of getting a visa?

Last edited by Wlouch; Apr 20th 2010 at 1:44 am.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 1:50 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wlouch
I am indeed between 18 and 30. 24.

If i were to get employed over there full time, in a paid job, how would that affect my chances of getting a visa?
Its kind of a grey area. Firstly you need a visa of some sort before you can do a paid job (or unpaid) job here (Thats where BUNAC comes in), but BUNAC is absolutely limited to one year and cant be renewed. If you wow them and they then decide to offer you a position full time then you need to get either a temp work permit or a permanent visa, both of which have additional requirements and require government clearance of the job offer, which may not be easy to get in the current economy. Some people have been able to leverage a bunac job into
additional credit to meet the permanent residence requirements, but the time frame to do that is really tight as you BUNAC visa is good for only a year and the process can take that long.

For permanent residence application you would get some credit for adaptability/ job offer, but it would depend on what else you bring to the party too.

Take a read of the wiki on canadian immigration, and also the official www.cic.gc.ca site.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 20th 2010 at 1:52 am.