Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Work would prefer I used the FSW Route - rather than PNP

Work would prefer I used the FSW Route - rather than PNP

Old Nov 25th 2009, 2:16 pm
Britnadian

hpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of light
Arrow Work would prefer I used the FSW Route - rather than PNP

My situation:
  • Currently in Canada on BUNAC WP (so an LMO was not previously applied for)
  • Working in a job that is on the BC PNP - IT Work

I asked today if they will provide me with the paperwork for the BC PNP. After a little while they came back with the answer that another person in the company had essentially "found that the BC PNP took twice as long as the FSW route". And on that basis they prefer I do the FSW route!

Now initially I was a bit shaken as all my research showed the PNP was the faster route, however, they are essentially saying they want me to go the longer way. I'm also concerned that if I question this or push too hard, it won't happen at all by either method.

I have a few questions:
  1. Should I go down the FSW Route anyway? Will the time between application and PR granted be much longer? I know the PNP takes about 8ish months from application to PR, but how long for FSW?
  2. Will an LMO now be required? If my BUNAC Visa runs out, can a TWP be acquired reasonably easily?
  3. Depending on the answer to that, should I try and make the case for a review of the decision?

Please feel free to post questions... I kind of need my mind putting to rest
Old Nov 25th 2009, 3:24 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work would prefer I used the FSW Route - rather than PNP

Hi

Originally Posted by hpka
My situation:
  • Currently in Canada on BUNAC WP (so an LMO was not previously applied for)
  • Working in a job that is on the BC PNP - IT Work

I asked today if they will provide me with the paperwork for the BC PNP. After a little while they came back with the answer that another person in the company had essentially "found that the BC PNP took twice as long as the FSW route". And on that basis they prefer I do the FSW route!

Now initially I was a bit shaken as all my research showed the PNP was the faster route, however, they are essentially saying they want me to go the longer way. I'm also concerned that if I question this or push too hard, it won't happen at all by either method.

I have a few questions:
  1. Should I go down the FSW Route anyway? Will the time between application and PR granted be much longer? I know the PNP takes about 8ish months from application to PR, but how long for FSW?
  2. Will an LMO now be required? If my BUNAC Visa runs out, can a TWP be acquired reasonably easily?
  3. Depending on the answer to that, should I try and make the case for a review of the decision?

Please feel free to post questions... I kind of need my mind putting to rest
1. To apply for FSW1 you have to have had 1 years experience in an occupation on the list of 38, the only IT one is 0213 which is a management position.
2. For FSW 2/3 you would have had to have worked in Canada for a year or studied or have arranged employment.
3. For PNP 6-10 months in Buffalo plus the processing time for the PNP.
4. FSW1/2/3 2-3 months at Sydney, and if qualified 6-12 months at the processing office.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 5:28 pm
Britnadian

hpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. To apply for FSW1 you have to have had 1 years experience in an occupation on the list of 38, the only IT one is 0213 which is a management position.
2. For FSW 2/3 you would have had to have worked in Canada for a year or studied or have arranged employment.
3. For PNP 6-10 months in Buffalo plus the processing time for the PNP.
4. FSW1/2/3 2-3 months at Sydney, and if qualified 6-12 months at the processing office.
Thanks for the reply.

Am I right in thinking I can do FSW2/3 if my employer gets an LMO which is favorable? (source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...employment.asp)

And also, if I read your post, am I right to expect the whole thing to take about 3 extra months on average? edit: assuming BC PNP is about a month

Edit: A further question, can I get a Temporary Work Permit to cover any short fall in my visa?

Last edited by hpka; Nov 25th 2009 at 5:30 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

lucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud of

Thanks for the reply.

Am I right in thinking I can do FSW2/3 if my employer gets an LMO which is favorable? (source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...employment.asp)

And also, if I read your post, am I right to expect the whole thing to take about 3 extra months on average? edit: assuming BC PNP is about a month

Edit: A further question, can I get a Temporary Work Permit to cover any short fall in my visa?
Hi,

You can do FSW2 if your employer gets you an AEO...if you think your BUNAC permit is going to run out before your PR comes through you'll have to get them to apply for an LMO for you to get another work permit.

If you go the LMO/work permit route you can use this plus an offer of employment letter from your company to then apply for PR (FSW2) and you won't need the AEO
Old Nov 26th 2009, 3:53 am
Britnadian

So essentially, the best route really would be (if not PNP):
1. Get LMO
2. Use LMO to get TWP
3. Use the same LMO to then get PR while on the TWP?
Old Nov 26th 2009, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

lucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud of

1. Get LMO
2. Use LMO to get TWP
Yep seems that way to me
Old Nov 26th 2009, 6:33 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

1. Get LMO
2. Use LMO to get TWP

Can I ask. If you use LMO to get PR while on TWP, which FSW is that?
Old Nov 26th 2009, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Miss Clinque
Can I ask. If you use LMO to get PR while on TWP, which FSW is that?
It's FSW 2 (Arranged Employment) but you have to get a supporting offer letter of permanent full time employment from your employer to go with the LMO.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 3:35 pm
Britnadian

Thanks, your all being really helpful as always

Ok last question... should I be too upset that I'm not doing PNP? I know it sounds silly...
Old Nov 27th 2009, 12:40 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lucieg
It's FSW 2 (Arranged Employment) but you have to get a supporting offer letter of permanent full time employment from your employer to go with the LMO.
Thanks for your reply. My husband works for a company that he now owns a large share in, and I wasnt sure which FSW we would have applied under. The comapany are using a lawyer who seems very good, but never seems to answer my queastions as he deals with my OH most of the time.

Thanks again

Jacqui
Old Nov 27th 2009, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

Mermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks, your all being really helpful as always

Ok last question... should I be too upset that I'm not doing PNP? I know it sounds silly...
) No you shouldnt be upset! It really doesnt matter which way you go - at the end you get your PR - that's what is really most important!

All the best!