work visas for nurses

Old Dec 2nd 2008, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

rowh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default work visas for nurses

Hi, I am trying to come to Canada to nurswork as a nurse. I have been told that I would be offered a one year work visa initially but once I had passed the Canadian exam this could be extended to a 3 year visa. Does anyone have any similiar experience of this. I also wondered if this was the case if it was worth trying to pass the exam before actually moving there.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of
Default Re: work visas for nurses

Originally Posted by rowh
Hi, I am trying to come to Canada to nurswork as a nurse. I have been told that I would be offered a one year work visa initially but once I had passed the Canadian exam this could be extended to a 3 year visa. Does anyone have any similiar experience of this. I also wondered if this was the case if it was worth trying to pass the exam before actually moving there.
Hi, I'm not quite sure how it works for nurses. I'm a midwife going out there and I HAD to take the exams in order to be able to register as a midwife. I passed the exams (a full months worth!) but now I am unable to register until I have a visa. Crazy!
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Caithness lass is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know if this information will be any good for you. I was wondering what the best way to apply for jobs in Calgary were, and if it was best to go through an agency so I wrote them an e-mail. Here is my reply, I hope it may also help you.

Thank you for your interest in career opportunities with the Calgary Health Region. All Registered Nurses who are educated outside of Canada need to be registered with College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta – (CARNA) and obtain a practice permit to be eligible to practice as a Registered Nurse in Alberta. Once you have received your temporary CARNA license, please submit or resubmit a copy along with your resume for consideration.

For further information about application procedures and registration requirements, please contact CARNA directly at:

College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta – CARNA

E-mail: [email protected]

Toll Free: 1-800-252-9392

For more information on the Canadian Registered Nurse Exam (CRNE), please visit the Canadian Nurses Association (CNA) website at www.cna-nurses.ca.

The Calgary Health Region will only consider those candidates who have been assessed as eligible by the CARNA for licensure. Proof of this eligibility should be submitted with the resume for consideration.

Once an offer is extended, other conditions of employment include:

• A satisfactory criminal records check (within 6 months of date of issue) in accordance with the Alberta provincial legislation “Protection for Persons In Care Act”. The criminal record check should be done in the country where you currently reside before you relocate to Canada.

• A copy of your current passport. Please ensure that your passport is valid for more than one year from the time you apply. If it is less, your temporary work permit will only be issued for the time remaining on your passport.

Once again, thank you for your interest in career opportunities with the Calgary Health Region. If you would like to learn more about the Region, please visit our website at www.calgaryhealthregion.ca.

Should you require additional information, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Regards,

Attraction & Recruitment Team
Calgary Health Region
7th Floor Southport Tower
[email protected]
1-877-713-5333
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 8:59 am
Just Joined

rowh is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for those replies, I am currently in the process of registering for both BC and Alberta. I was eligible to register for BC in 2004 but ended up in NZ instead. Will have to do a bit more research on the immigration process
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

This Wiki article may help.......http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Nursing-Canada

Good luck.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

susie q has a spectacular aura aboutsusie q has a spectacular aura aboutsusie q has a spectacular aura about

hi rowh i am british rgn on twp in calgary, have 2 year work permit ,most people can extend to 3 with no problems .i think even if you have passed crne before starting work will only get a 2 year work permit.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Caithness lass is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there a huge difference between nursing in Calgary and where you were in the UK?

We are looking at Canada for Hubbys work more than mine, but I would want to work part time once there so not too worried about coming over on my work permit.

Wondering if they have all the same hassles re being short staffed, agency nurses who do not know the ward, and all the rest of the general hassles of the NHS. Also are the nurses as bitchy to each other over there?

Starting a job in dialysis next month hoping to get 18 months experience with that to fingers crossed get a job over there in renal unit.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

shonaoconnor has a spectacular aura aboutshonaoconnor has a spectacular aura aboutshonaoconnor has a spectacular aura about

Just passed the Canadian exam. It wasn't too bad. You can sit 3 times, but I passed first time and I have only worked in Theatre since I trained nearly 30 years ago and I was out of nursing for 3 years until 6 months ago. You could sit before you go, but you can only sit in Canada, so I wouldn't bother. But the CRNE revision book, work your way through that and I'm sure you'll be fine. It's currently 2 multi choice papers so you can guess the questions you don't know!!
Old Dec 4th 2008, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

susie q has a spectacular aura aboutsusie q has a spectacular aura aboutsusie q has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Caithness lass
Is there a huge difference between nursing in Calgary and where you were in the UK?

We are looking at Canada for Hubbys work more than mine, but I would want to work part time once there so not too worried about coming over on my work permit.

Wondering if they have all the same hassles re being short staffed, agency nurses who do not know the ward, and all the rest of the general hassles of the NHS. Also are the nurses as bitchy to each other over there?

Starting a job in dialysis next month hoping to get 18 months experience with that to fingers crossed get a job over there in renal unit.
hi nursing is quite different here, only have your patient assignment not as short staffed as in uk tend to have casual nurses who work on each unit similar to bank staff .have not seen any agency staff.have ancillary staff to do topping up,serving meals mobilzing pts. patients are on the ward from recovery with a porter, ward nurse does not have to collect
i think nurses can be bitchy the whole world over i think its all these women working together
you will need a work permit to work here unless you are coming on a pr visa,if your on a work permit need to work .8fte
hope this helps you can pm me if you like