Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Work visa and reentry into Canada.

Work visa and reentry into Canada.

Old Sep 22nd 2012, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Work visa and reentry into Canada.

Hi all

I am currently in Nova Scotia on a GATS work permit soon to become a full work permit. My question is that I intend to visit the US for Christmas, but am unsure what docs I should have to return to Canada once my vacation is complete. It clearly states on my permit that it does not guarantee re-entry.

Thank you for your help.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 8:15 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work visa and reentry into Canada.

Originally Posted by DeanUK2US
Hi all

I am currently in Nova Scotia on a GATS work permit soon to become a full work permit. My question is that I intend to visit the US for Christmas, but am unsure what docs I should have to return to Canada once my vacation is complete. It clearly states on my permit that it does not guarantee re-entry.

Thank you for your help.
Have your passport and WP and hope for the best. The document has already answered your question, it does not guarantee re-entry. If you have a TWP by then that saves the hassle of maybe not getting back in.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Have your passport and WP and hope for the best. The document has already answered your question, it does not guarantee re-entry. If you have a TWP by then that saves the hassle of maybe not getting back in.
Thank you, Aviator. What is a TWP please?

[edit]

Don't worry, 'Temporary Work Permit'.

Last edited by DeanUK2US; Sep 22nd 2012 at 9:36 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

One last thing, even when I had my last TWP it still said that it doesn't guarantee re-entry. :\
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 10:00 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

One last thing, even when I had my last TWP it still said that it doesn't guarantee re-entry. :\
If you have a valid passport and TWP, unless you misbehaved or lied on an application, slim chance I would say of not being re admitted.

They kept letting me back in twice a week or more sometimes, never even looked at my passport.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Aviator
If you have a valid passport and TWP, unless you misbehaved or lied on an application, slim chance I would say of not being re admitted.

They kept letting me back in twice a week or more sometimes, never even looked at my passport.
That's excellent to know. Thanks again, Aviator - and I am a good boy.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 10:58 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

That's excellent to know. Thanks again, Aviator - and I am a good boy.

The reason the statement is there is that a lot of nationalities require a TRV (Visitor visa) to enter Canada. So not only would they require the work permit to re-enter Canada, they would also require a valid TRV. (Unless they only travelled to the US and St. Pierre et Miquelon)
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

The reason the statement is there is that a lot of nationalities require a TRV (Visitor visa) to enter Canada. So not only would they require the work permit to re-enter Canada, they would also require a valid TRV. (Unless they only travelled to the US and St. Pierre et Miquelon)
Hi PMM

That clarifies matters a great deal. Thanks!
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

You will be fine. I had the same thing on mine, I left & re entered many times.
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Tony_Tiger. I was so unsure about this I was considering paying an immigration lawyer to confirm!
Old Sep 24th 2012, 1:05 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

1. There is a difference between a work permit and a work visa.

2. Your work permit is not a travel document. You are expected to use a foreign passport (plus a visa if required based on nationality) to re-enter Canada.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

On hearing the experience of others here in the same company as myself, of the same nationality and job, they seemed to only need their passport and permit. Hopefully it will be the same for me.

Thank you though.