British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Work visa and reentry into Canada. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/work-visa-reentry-into-canada-772398/)

DeanUK2US Sep 22nd 2012 6:37 pm

Work visa and reentry into Canada.

Hi all

I am currently in Nova Scotia on a GATS work permit soon to become a full work permit. My question is that I intend to visit the US for Christmas, but am unsure what docs I should have to return to Canada once my vacation is complete. It clearly states on my permit that it does not guarantee re-entry.

Thank you for your help. :)

Aviator Sep 22nd 2012 8:15 pm

Re: Work visa and reentry into Canada.

Originally Posted by DeanUK2US (Post 10294572)
Hi all

I am currently in Nova Scotia on a GATS work permit soon to become a full work permit. My question is that I intend to visit the US for Christmas, but am unsure what docs I should have to return to Canada once my vacation is complete. It clearly states on my permit that it does not guarantee re-entry.

Thank you for your help. :)

Have your passport and WP and hope for the best. The document has already answered your question, it does not guarantee re-entry. If you have a TWP by then that saves the hassle of maybe not getting back in.

DeanUK2US Sep 22nd 2012 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 10294650)
Have your passport and WP and hope for the best. The document has already answered your question, it does not guarantee re-entry. If you have a TWP by then that saves the hassle of maybe not getting back in.

Thank you, Aviator. What is a TWP please? :)

[edit]

Don't worry, 'Temporary Work Permit'.

DeanUK2US Sep 22nd 2012 9:39 pm

One last thing, even when I had my last TWP it still said that it doesn't guarantee re-entry. :\

Aviator Sep 22nd 2012 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by DeanUK2US (Post 10294740)
One last thing, even when I had my last TWP it still said that it doesn't guarantee re-entry. :\

If you have a valid passport and TWP, unless you misbehaved or lied on an application, slim chance I would say of not being re admitted.

They kept letting me back in twice a week or more sometimes, never even looked at my passport.:)

DeanUK2US Sep 22nd 2012 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 10294772)
If you have a valid passport and TWP, unless you misbehaved or lied on an application, slim chance I would say of not being re admitted.

They kept letting me back in twice a week or more sometimes, never even looked at my passport.:)

That's excellent to know. Thanks again, Aviator - and I am a good boy. :)

PMM Sep 22nd 2012 10:58 pm

Hi

Originally Posted by DeanUK2US (Post 10294778)
That's excellent to know. Thanks again, Aviator - and I am a good boy. :)

The reason the statement is there is that a lot of nationalities require a TRV (Visitor visa) to enter Canada. So not only would they require the work permit to re-enter Canada, they would also require a valid TRV. (Unless they only travelled to the US and St. Pierre et Miquelon)

DeanUK2US Sep 22nd 2012 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by PMM (Post 10294835)
Hi

The reason the statement is there is that a lot of nationalities require a TRV (Visitor visa) to enter Canada. So not only would they require the work permit to re-enter Canada, they would also require a valid TRV. (Unless they only travelled to the US and St. Pierre et Miquelon)

Hi PMM

That clarifies matters a great deal. Thanks! :)

Tony_Tiger Sep 23rd 2012 10:14 am

You will be fine. I had the same thing on mine, I left & re entered many times.

DeanUK2US Sep 23rd 2012 12:15 pm

Thanks Tony_Tiger. I was so unsure about this I was considering paying an immigration lawyer to confirm! :D

JAJ Sep 24th 2012 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by DeanUK2US (Post 10294572)
Hi all

1. There is a difference between a work permit and a work visa.

2. Your work permit is not a travel document. You are expected to use a foreign passport (plus a visa if required based on nationality) to re-enter Canada.

DeanUK2US Sep 24th 2012 4:39 pm

On hearing the experience of others here in the same company as myself, of the same nationality and job, they seemed to only need their passport and permit. Hopefully it will be the same for me.

Thank you though. :)