work visa/ permit question

Old Feb 19th 2010, 9:28 am
Just Joined

ahwylie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default work visa/ permit question

hi i have some questions regarding my visa and was wondering if any one can help i will out line my situation below:

i am currently in Canada working under a BUNAC 1 year working holiday visa.

my current visa states i must leave the country by the 15t of april.

i have been offered a new contract with and my employer has a positive LMO (labour market opinion).

i also have to travel back to the UK in march for a 2 weeks for university interviews and i would prefer to return back to canada before my current visa expires.

i have been trying to understand what process i need to go through but the Canadian immigration website is rather complicated and i cannot see the wood from the trees.

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Andrew
Old Feb 19th 2010, 9:43 am
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: work visa/ permit question

Originally Posted by ahwylie
hi i have some questions regarding my visa and was wondering if any one can help i will out line my situation below:

i am currently in Canada working under a BUNAC 1 year working holiday visa.

my current visa states i must leave the country by the 15t of april.

i have been offered a new contract with and my employer has a positive LMO (labour market opinion).

i also have to travel back to the UK in march for a 2 weeks for university interviews and i would prefer to return back to canada before my current visa expires.

i have been trying to understand what process i need to go through but the Canadian immigration website is rather complicated and i cannot see the wood from the trees.

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Andrew
You need to apply for a Temporary work permit. This can be done without leaving Canada, but seeing as you're heading back to the UK I would suggest you get new WP issued when you arrive back. This can be done at point of entry.

Forms to complete be found here (bring them with you along with $150 fees, Copy of LMO, letter of employment and whatever else the instructions ask for.
http://http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/index.asp

Details about applying on entry are here.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/ap...ible.asp#enter
Old Feb 21st 2010, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

do you know if i need to wait for my current visa to expire before i can get a work permit on re-entry?

if this is not possible can i return before my current visa expires. Then drive down to the states and apply for a new work permit on re-entry after my current visa expires?

thanks for the help
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 4:24 am
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

do you know if i need to wait for my current visa to expire before i can get a work permit on re-entry?

if this is not possible can i return before my current visa expires. Then drive down to the states and apply for a new work permit on re-entry after my current visa expires?

thanks for the help
Do not wait until your visa expires! You can get new work permit issued as soon as you like.....
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 10:00 am
Just Joined

ok am i able to get one issued at the border?
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

ok am i able to get one issued at the border?
Please take the time to read the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page). This article will help answer that particular question for you - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/TWP_:_...o_apply-Canada