Work Visa Options for Canada

Old Sep 7th 2008, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

kjmcass100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work Visa Options for Canada

Hi all, me and a friend are interested in moving to Canada to work for 1-2 years; it isnt for long term stay however I will probably fall further in love with the country! What are the work visa options and how long does the application usually take? We currently do not have jobs prearranged - is this an issue? I am a qualified Property Surveyor & my friend is a qualified Building Surveyor / Project Manager. Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks! Kevin
Old Sep 7th 2008, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work Visa Options for Canada

Originally Posted by kjmcass100
Hi all, me and a friend are interested in moving to Canada to work for 1-2 years; it isnt for long term stay however I will probably fall further in love with the country! What are the work visa options and how long does the application usually take? We currently do not have jobs prearranged - is this an issue? I am a qualified Property Surveyor & my friend is a qualified Building Surveyor / Project Manager. Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks! Kevin
Hi,

Just had a quick look at your past posts and see that you are maybe a bit undecided about which country you would like to move to. To get a sense of the Canadian immigration system and a whole bunch of other useful info about the country, have a read of the WIKI...
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Main_Page
And within it, a good starting point might be...
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_...an_Immigration

Best wishes with your plans.

E&J.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

kjmcass100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info. I will have a look at those links. Essentially we want to go to new York but can't get visas but would also like to go to canada. Thanks again.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 8:59 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

In addition to the links Getting There gave you, another useful Wiki article to read would be the one called Immigration Timeline-Canada.
x
Old Sep 8th 2008, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

As you stated in one of your previous posts that you are 23 years old maybe the BUNAC non-student working holiday visa may be an option (assuming you are a British passport holder) - this is limited to one year but there are others on this forum who have used it as an opportunity to find jobs and go on and get further work permits and/or permanent residence. It would at least give you the chance to experience the country, and it is an open work authorisation so you could try living and working wherever you like.

Here's the link:

http://www.bunac.org.uk/uk/workcanada/eligibility.aspx

EDIT: I've just noticed from your previous posts that you are Irish...no longer any mention on the BUNAC website of Irish passport holders being eligible - tho I'm sure they used to be?

Sorry, that didn't help much did it?! Anyway, best of luck with finding where you want to be and getting there!