Work visa help

Old Jan 26th 2020, 7:55 am
Just Joined

Lf2020 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work visa help

Hi all. Myself and my partner want to move to Canada to work.
He is a plasterer and I am a career consultant with my own business, so I'd either be looking at finding employment within an agency or starting my own business in canada, depending on which one is will be easier to do to get me over there.
Any advice you could give to us for which visa to pursue would be great. Is it worth using an immigration expert to help? The fee is around £100 I believe
Old Jan 26th 2020, 8:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work visa help

Originally Posted by Lf2020
Hi all. Myself and my partner want to move to Canada to work.
He is a plasterer and I am a career consultant with my own business, so I'd either be looking at finding employment within an agency or starting my own business in canada, depending on which one is will be easier to do to get me over there.
Any advice you could give to us for which visa to pursue would be great. Is it worth using an immigration expert to help? The fee is around £100 I believe
Hi, welcome to BE.

I'd be amazed if you could find a properly licensed immi consultant who would do it for £100 - that's usually what they charge just for a consultation! Expect to pay at least a couple of thousand for them to do your full application. No need to use one unless you have complicated circumstances though.

There are over 50 visa routes for Canada, so without knowing a lot more about you, it's hard to say which may suit. It will depend on things like your ages, education level etc. Start with the eligibility test on the CIC website and let us know what it says, we can then try and help you further - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...nada-tool.html

Make sure you do it for both of you in case one of you is eligible for a visa without a job offer and the other isn't. And when it asks about English tests, say yes and put the top scores (you can just assume that for now as native speakers), it's only to give you an idea of what you may qualify for and some visa routes have a mandatory English test before you'd be eligible.

Also, just checking, but when you say 'partner', have you lived together for a year or more? Personal question I know, but it makes a difference as if not, you can't go on each others visa applications so would each need to qualify for a visa on your own merits.

HTH.
Old Jan 28th 2020, 3:27 am
Just Joined

Hi
thanks so much for you reply.

The CIC assessment said my boyfriend couldn't get in on the express visa. Is that because he doesn't have qualifications as a plasterer??
We will have lived together for a year by the time we leave for Canada.
I'm thinking of working as a healthcare assistant alongside my business and doing an nvq. Do you think that will help my application?

Old Jan 28th 2020, 5:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

The CIC assessment said my boyfriend couldn't get in on the express visa. Is that because he doesn't have qualifications as a plasterer??
It's usually something simple that means the computer says no! Did you say yes when it asked about language exams, and what amount did you put for the proof of funds?

We will have lived together for a year by the time we leave for Canada.
You'd need to have lived together for a year or more before applying, otherwise you can't go on his visa app. You must meet the criteria at the time of applying, not afterwards.

I'm thinking of working as a healthcare assistant alongside my business and doing an nvq. Do you think that will help my application?
Unlikely I'm afraid. NVQ's don't count for anything points wise as they're vocational rather than academic. Your current job is more likely to lead to something.

Personal question I know, but how old are you both?
Old Jan 28th 2020, 5:05 am
Just Joined

We put 12,600 - 15000 CAD approx
we are 31 and 33.
Oliver is ex army and worked as a plasterer for 2.5 years and I've been in recruitment for 10 years and have my own business now.
We put top marks for the language test.
Of there's an builders on here it would be great to hear from them.
Old Jan 28th 2020, 5:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

We put 12,600 - 15000 CAD approx
That's why then - for 2 people the minimum amount required for proof of funds is $16,135. Can you try again putting more than that amount and let us know if it says one (or both) of you is eligible now?

Old Jan 28th 2020, 5:16 am
Just Joined

Yes it says we are both eligible for express entry now
Old Jan 28th 2020, 5:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Yes it says we are both eligible for express entry now
Fab. That's the first step, but it's only enough to get you in the pool of applicants, once in the pool then only those scoring the highest are selected and invited to apply for PR. The points requirement will be lower for Oliver than you though, so may be easier for him.

Can you both check and see what you score on the CRS? https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigr...d/crs-tool.asp
Old Jan 28th 2020, 5:28 am
Just Joined

You're a huge help, thank you.

Ok I will go through that tomorrow. Will this be an actual submission or is it just an assessment?
Old Jan 28th 2020, 5:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

You're a huge help, thank you.

Ok I will go through that tomorrow. Will this be an actual submission or is it just an assessment?
It's just a point test, to see what you'd score and therefore what your chances are. You can't submit a proper application until you've done everything required i.e. language testing, getting your education assessed etc.

HTH.