Work visa advice needed

Old Oct 22nd 2003, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

Seagal01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work visa advice needed

I was wondering if there was anyone who can give me advice about acquiring a Work Visa based on the following information. I have tried using the Canadian Immigration website which is hopeless and I'm sure there are many loopholes in the system if you know what you're doing. In addition I have spoken with several Immigration lawyers and they have all recommended/advised different things.

I am 27yrs old and a British Citizen currently visiting my Canadian girlfriend in Vancouver. Although I don't have a degree, I was at school for 14 years (4-18yrs old), doing my A-Levels (in fact I am currently studying for 2 more) and later did some other courses in Information Technology. I have been a Computer Engineer since I was 20 and have extensive experience installing Microsoft Networks, assembling computer systems, providing computer software/hardware training, etc. In addition I have a TESOL certificate and have been teaching English in Spain for the past two years. Lastly, I have been a Martial Arts instructor since I was 20. I speak basic French, but have no relatives in Canada.

Due to the limitation of ESL Teacher jobs and Computer jobs in Vancouver at the moment, I would like to work in whatever job is available, but of course to get a work visa this isn't possible. So my girlfriend's father has offered to sponsor me for a visa, to say that I will be working in his company as Computer Technician and he is willing to advertise the position in the local newspapers.

Once I get the Work Visa I will look for work in Vancouver.

The questions I want to ask are:

- Are there any better Visa options for working/living in Canada?
- What points would I get for application?
- What advice can you give me about getting a successful application?
- What does my girlfriend's father need to bear in mind to sponsor me?
- How long does applying for a Work Visa normally take?
- Can I use the Work Visa for any job thereafter, or is it only good for the company or the type of employment I have specified?
- And lastly, can I use the embassy in Seattle instead of having to return to the UK?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

Alfaris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Work visa advice needed

The work permit will only be valid for work for the employer that it was issued for.

You can marry her and then she can sponsor you for permanent residence in Canada. Or you can live together for a year with proof of that and she can sponsor you as a common-law partner.

You can apply to be sponsored from within Canada, but then there will be a long wait involved, during which you cannot work (unless you have a work permit already).

Alfaris

Originally posted by Seagal01
I was wondering if there was anyone who can give me advice about acquiring a Work Visa based on the following information. I have tried using the Canadian Immigration website which is hopeless and I'm sure there are many loopholes in the system if you know what you're doing. In addition I have spoken with several Immigration lawyers and they have all recommended/advised different things.

I am 27yrs old and a British Citizen currently visiting my Canadian girlfriend in Vancouver. Although I don't have a degree, I was at school for 14 years (4-18yrs old), doing my A-Levels (in fact I am currently studying for 2 more) and later did some other courses in Information Technology. I have been a Computer Engineer since I was 20 and have extensive experience installing Microsoft Networks, assembling computer systems, providing computer software/hardware training, etc. In addition I have a TESOL certificate and have been teaching English in Spain for the past two years. Lastly, I have been a Martial Arts instructor since I was 20. I speak basic French, but have no relatives in Canada.

Due to the limitation of ESL Teacher jobs and Computer jobs in Vancouver at the moment, I would like to work in whatever job is available, but of course to get a work visa this isn't possible. So my girlfriend's father has offered to sponsor me for a visa, to say that I will be working in his company as Computer Technician and he is willing to advertise the position in the local newspapers.

Once I get the Work Visa I will look for work in Vancouver.

The questions I want to ask are:

- Are there any better Visa options for working/living in Canada?
- What points would I get for application?
- What advice can you give me about getting a successful application?
- What does my girlfriend's father need to bear in mind to sponsor me?
- How long does applying for a Work Visa normally take?
- Can I use the Work Visa for any job thereafter, or is it only good for the company or the type of employment I have specified?
- And lastly, can I use the embassy in Seattle instead of having to return to the UK?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.