Work Permits and layoffs

Old Jan 17th 2008, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Barmyarmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work Permits and layoffs

I know I have seen something about this before but I am half way thru a work permit and have an application for PR ongoing in Buffalo. I have been layed off due to a slow down but have no idea where this leaves me regarding my status in Canada. My employer is trying to find me another position but is taking is sorry time and of course I cannot claim benefits as I am on a TWP.

Any advice would be appreciated
Old Jan 17th 2008, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Work Permits and layoffs

Originally Posted by Barmyarmy
I know I have seen something about this before but I am half way thru a work permit and have an application for PR ongoing in Buffalo. I have been layed off due to a slow down but have no idea where this leaves me regarding my status in Canada. My employer is trying to find me another position but is taking is sorry time and of course I cannot claim benefits as I am on a TWP.

Any advice would be appreciated
Sorry to hear that,

Technically you are in breach of your WP and have lost your status in Canada, my advice would be to apply to as many companies as you can. Speak to Service Canada (HRDC) to find out which employers have multiple PLMO and speak to them (to save time). Alternatively after you manage to get job offer you need to go back through the whole LMO/WP process.
I had a similar problem in Ontario in 2002 ended up going back to the UK after supporting myself and family for 7 months.
As you have PR application in at Buffalo not sure if its same conditions as PNP where you don't need a LMO (although I think its only good for the initial employer).
Old Jan 17th 2008, 12:51 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Nobody is in any breach of anything. And OP still has a status in Canada as work permit holder until expiration of such permit.

OP cannot work for another employer without new work permit though.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Nobody is in any breach of anything. And OP still has a status in Canada as work permit holder until expiration of such permit.

OP cannot work for another employer without new work permit though.

I thought this was the case following some postings and test cases I think you posted a while ago.

Would you be able to clarify one point? Presumably those on open work permits due to spouses occupation classification are still allowed to work wherever ?

Gryphea
Old Jan 17th 2008, 5:02 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

It is a different story with open work permits issued to spouses of standard work/study permit holders. In most cases such open work permits are valid as long as the principal spouse is working or studying in Canada, not just have valid work/study permit.

But open work permits allow to work anywhere and change employment at any time, as long as the other spouse continues work or study.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Jan 17th 2008 at 5:04 pm.