Work permits. Help!!!!!

Old May 11th 2016, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

ng4379 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Work permits. Help!!!!!

so i took your advice and we applied for the IEC my partner has had an ITA so we are just in the process of getting his criminal record checks from UK and Australia and hopefully he will be good to go. As his common law partner of 8 years can i apply for a work permit off the back of him? can i do it before he goes to Canada or do i have to wait?

Old May 11th 2016, 10:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ng4379
so i took your advice and we applied for the IEC my partner has had an ITA so we are just in the process of getting his criminal record checks from UK and Australia and hopefully he will be good to go. As his common law partner of 8 years can i apply for a work permit off the back of him? can i do it before he goes to Canada or do i have to wait?

Congrats! No, you can't apply for a work permit just because he's got an IEC, but once he's in a skilled job and working on the IEC, then you can apply for an open work permit. So you'll need to wait until he's got to Canada and is working before you can do so - Can my spouse or common-law partner work in Canada?

For future ref, please do put all IEC related questions in the main IEC thread, that way we keep it all together and it also means that you can just search the thread quickly for any info you need. That's where I moved your post from yesterday to.

HTH.
Old May 11th 2016, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

You will have to wait until he activates his work permit and gets a job in skill level 0, A or B. The IEC is an open work permit which basically allows a person to get any job which could be in any skill level 0, A, B, C or D. Without having the job CBSA cannot issue a spousal open work permit until they know the job title, skill level and NOC code for the job.
A list of job titles, NOC codes and skill levels can be found in this link
National Occupational Classification Matrix 2011

As an example lets say he was a Butcher. A butcher is NOC 6331 in skill level B so once he got the job you would be OK to get the work permit.
If he was a bus driver then the NOC is 7512 which is skill level C so you would not be able to get a work permit.

Use this link to put in occupation searches type in job name in top left corner search field (ignore the 4 digit NOC code it asks for)

Welcome to the National Occupational Classification 2011

The Matrix gives the skill levels and major groups once you have found the 4 digit NOC code from the search.
Old May 11th 2016, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks guys, he has been offered a job as a bricklayer which is skill level B and off memory NOC 7281 so I am hoping I will be ok to get a work permit. We are thinking of me going on a visitor visa at first until he has started the job and then apply for a work permit that way. Someone did say if I can get a letter off the employer to say he has a job with them and the skill level and NOC code I can use that with my permit application before we arrive in Canada is that right?
Old May 11th 2016, 10:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys, he has been offered a job as a bricklayer which is skill level B and off memory NOC 7281 so I am hoping I will be ok to get a work permit. We are thinking of me going on a visitor visa at first until he has started the job and then apply for a work permit that way. Someone did say if I can get a letter off the employer to say he has a job with them and the skill level and NOC code I can use that with my permit application before we arrive in Canada is that right?
No, it's not right - as per the link above, he must actually be working in the job for you to qualify for an open work permit.

So you'll need to go as a visitor first (make sure you have medical cover etc), then once he's started work you can take the info you need to the nearest POE and get a work permit for yourself.

If he's a brickie, then I'd advise you get your work permit sorted asap, in case he's laid off as unfortunately seems to be happening a lot to trades on work permits at the mo.

Best of luck.
Old May 11th 2016, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
No, it's not right - as per the link above, he must actually be working in the job for you to qualify for an open work permit.

So you'll need to go as a visitor first (make sure you have medical cover etc), then once he's started work you can take the info you need to the nearest POE and get a work permit for yourself.

If he's a brickie, then I'd advise you get your work permit sorted asap, in case he's laid off as unfortunately seems to be happening a lot to trades on work permits at the mo.

Best of luck.
Thank you very much once again for your help. I thought that was the case will get a visitors visa to begin with and go from there.