work permits

Old Jan 29th 2013, 10:11 am
Just Joined

scottiedog2013 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default work permits

hello there,

I''ve read wiki so sorry if I've missed the answers but I'm looking for some quick advice. as I've said in my other post - I work as a heavy equipment operator and a truck driver. I only have 4 months truck driver experience.

I have enquired about jobs and one company have told me to contact them once I'm more ready to move. they have jobs which have lmo

basically I'm wondering since I'm classed as Noc C how long would my partner have to wait before she would be able to work? it could be a deal breaker if it's a long time. she's young enough to use a working holiday visa for employment though.

sorry for the questions but I'm completely new to all this!

cheers
Old Jan 29th 2013, 10:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: work permits

Which province would you be moving to?

Most provinces wouldn't allow her to get a Spousal Open Work Permit as your job isn't classed as 'skilled', but there are a few provinces that have pilot programs in place, see here - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/occupations.asp

Put simply, unless you move to one of the provinces that has a special program in place as per the link above, she can't work unless she gets a visa in her own right, or until she gets PR (and do look in to that too, as not all provinces would allow you to apply for PR as a truck driver either).

HTH.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 11:14 am
Just Joined

we would move anywhere we could find work really but the company I've spoke to have jobs in calgary and edmonton.

so by the look of it bc would be our only option for a open permit for her unless I was employed as a long haul driver.

it says the bc pilot expires in February, is it likely to be extended
thanks for your help
Old Jan 29th 2013, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

one more question! when reading the wiki it says for the skilled visas you need st least once year's experience in a skilled occupation within the last 10 years.

I trained as a welder/steel fabricator when I was at college. I did a national certificate and then was employed and did a apprenticeship but didn't get any papers and only a small wage. this was in the 90' s!

it's coming up for the 10 years since I last did this occupation, I have thought about going back since its a steady occupation, mines is a bit more weather dependent in the UK!

would it be worth speaking to a agent to see if this would be a route?
Old Jan 29th 2013, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

ookie123 is a jewel in the roughookie123 is a jewel in the roughookie123 is a jewel in the roughookie123 is a jewel in the rough

Hi I have just read the link that in Christmasoompa post. Which has left me with a couple of questions I hope someone can help with. Does anyone know if the Alberta pilot is still open in one place it states applications recieved prior to July 31st 2013 but the bulletin mentions July 2012! If the pilot has been extended until July 2013 have I understood it correctly. I have currently been offered a Job NOC (O) so the pilot will enable not only my common law partner to obtain an SOWP but my 21 year old daughter would also be eligible for a OWP (She is currently working in Canada awaiting this years IEC to open so she can apply for her second year, being able to obtain an OWP will give her a fall back though) having said that all this depends on a postive LMO the application has been submitted we are keeping everything crossed.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

taraanne66 is just really nicetaraanne66 is just really nicetaraanne66 is just really nicetaraanne66 is just really nicetaraanne66 is just really nicetaraanne66 is just really nicetaraanne66 is just really nicetaraanne66 is just really nice

Hi. wondered if someone could help. i have been told that if you do long haul and spend most of your time driving in the States you will struggle to apply for PR. Is this true???
Old Jan 29th 2013, 8:24 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by taraanne66
Hi. wondered if someone could help. i have been told that if you do long haul and spend most of your time driving in the States you will struggle to apply for PR. Is this true???
No, you have trouble applying for citizenship. Long Haul truck drivers work for Canadian companies, so their days outside Canada count towards retaining PR status.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

taraanne66 is just really nicetaraanne66 is just really nicetaraanne66 is just really nicetaraanne66 is just really nicetaraanne66 is just really nicetaraanne66 is just really nicetaraanne66 is just really nicetaraanne66 is just really nice

Thanks PMM, good to know, also, can I study if my hubby is a truckdriver or do i need a special visa for that?
Old Jan 29th 2013, 9:23 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by taraanne66
Thanks PMM, good to know, also, can I study if my hubby is a truckdriver or do i need a special visa for that?
If you are not a PR, you need a study permit for full time studies.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Guys, thanks so much for the info, It is good to know and has given me a lot to look into, thanks