Wikiposts

Work Permits

Old Aug 10th 2007, 7:55 am
Just Joined

Desperatetomove is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work Permits

Hi,

Work permits to canada - How have people secured employment in Canada to entitle them to a work permit?

Any good recruitment sites??

Old Aug 10th 2007, 8:09 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work Permits

Originally Posted by Desperatetomove
Hi,

Work permits to canada - How have people secured employment in Canada to entitle them to a work permit?

Started my own business, then applied for a 3yr WP. Process took just a few months.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

With a lot of hard work
Old Aug 10th 2007, 8:51 am
Just Joined

Desperatetomove is an unknown quantity at this point

It is hard work, it just feels like im banging my head against a brick wall at the moment

help would be appreciated.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

It really depends on what industry you are in.

Here's a thread that details a bit. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ight=dominated

We came over in Spet 06, having gone back to Uni in the UK to MSc, and hence qualified for BUNAC student visas.

Even with visas already, it was hard work to find jobs. Engineering in BC is more about who you know. I spent 3 months of very hard work job hunting before we came over.

We first looked at consultancies in the UK to see if they had offices in Vancouver. Then looked at Monster and Workopolis to see who was advertising, but mainly by-passed the actual advert adn just used it as a database of consultancies.

I was looking for a Professional Body website who listed the consutlancies, but couldn't find one.

Once we had a list of the consutlancies to apply to, it was a case of posting Cvs and cover letters (makes you look more serious than emailing) then phoning up a week or so later to "check that they had received them", again make you seem more serious and we hoped that an English accent would make us stand out.

It was really demoralising not even know whether your application is being looked at when you are back at uni, and still spending (wasting??) good money on postage and international phone call.

Luckily for me, I'm female in a male dominated world, have worked experience from the UK in an up-and-coming area of engineering in Vancouver, and one President of a company who just happened to be an immigrant himself (30 years ago from the middle-east but never mind) must have looked at my application and liked what he saw.

OH had more trouble as he has nothing 'special' or extraordinary to offer. Once here, he got a job relatively easily with the right contacts and references, ie, people in the industry over here. It's about who you know.

Ironically since arriving and meeting our competitiors at meetings and presentations etc. a lot have said that they wished they had bothered to look at applications more and kick themselves that they let me slip through the net!

So, try and get a visa first (BUNAC non-student??), make yourselves look at serious about your move over here, try and get some local knowledge of the industry and area that you want to move to, maybe go over for a holiday to show your face, and keep searching.

Good luck
Old Aug 10th 2007, 9:11 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Hi, Desperatetomove.

The usefulness of the information you receive often is proportional to the amount of background information about yourself that you provide.

I hope R I C H's and live to ski's responses have illustrated that point. (I later saw that live to ski had provided a much fuller response, but one that still was off the mark because of lack of relevant information from you.)

I followed your User Name to look at a couple of your previous posts, and saw that you had a police background. I was about to suggest that you post your enquiry on the Police forum here at British Expats. Then I saw that you'd already done that, and that ann m had provided you with a good response. But then part of the reason that ann m was able to give you a more focused response was that you'd posted more focused questions on that forum.

There is no point in asking us for good recruitment sites. No matter how good the recruitment sites are, they are not going to be able to lead you to a job offer that will extract a positive LMO from HRSDC. The reason is that an employer has to demonstrate extensive but unsuccessful efforts to recruit a Canadian resident for a position before HRSDC will issue a positive LMO. When it comes to the police service, there are plenty of Canadian residents available for that kind of work in Ontario, where your previous posts indicated you want to go. I know a little bit about the police service in Ontario, because my nephew and my husband's niece belong to it. Both of them were permanent residents turned citizens, and both of them found entry competitive.

There are members of the forum who were police officers in the UK, who moved to Ontario, and who obtained jobs as police officers in Ontario. If I remember correctly, all of those forum members took the long route to Canada. That is, they applied for permanent residence visas. However, since they arrived in Canada, the waiting time for a PR visa has increased, and now is said to be in the 5 year range!

What you can do instead, if you are willing to compromise, is to go to a part of Canada that is booming, that is experiencing a labour shortage, and that is crying out for police officers. That part of Canada is the province of Alberta. Several forum members recently have received work permits to work with the Edmonton Police Service (EPS) or the Calgary Police Service (CPS).

I suggest you read the BE Wiki article on Canadian immigration so that you can get an overview of the process and of the various courses of action that are open to you.

Next, I suggest that you read the BE Wiki article on Careers (Canada). That will give you an introduction to the job hunting process in Canada (including links to recruitment sites). However, keep in mind that the private and public sectors operate differently in some respects. When it comes to the police service specifically, the Police forum can give you much more precise information than we on the general Canada forum can give you.

Hope that helps.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Sarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to behold

We used workopolis and sent what must have been hundreds of CV's to anyone advertising for carpenters... we then eventually got that one lucky reply and it all worked out!
Old Aug 11th 2007, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by live to ski
It really depends on what industry you are in.

Here's a thread that details a bit. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ight=dominated

We came over in Spet 06, having gone back to Uni in the UK to MSc, and hence qualified for BUNAC student visas.

Even with visas already, it was hard work to find jobs. Engineering in BC is more about who you know. I spent 3 months of very hard work job hunting before we came over.

We first looked at consultancies in the UK to see if they had offices in Vancouver. Then looked at Monster and Workopolis to see who was advertising, but mainly by-passed the actual advert adn just used it as a database of consultancies.

I was looking for a Professional Body website who listed the consutlancies, but couldn't find one.

Once we had a list of the consutlancies to apply to, it was a case of posting Cvs and cover letters (makes you look more serious than emailing) then phoning up a week or so later to "check that they had received them", again make you seem more serious and we hoped that an English accent would make us stand out.

It was really demoralising not even know whether your application is being looked at when you are back at uni, and still spending (wasting??) good money on postage and international phone call.

Luckily for me, I'm female in a male dominated world, have worked experience from the UK in an up-and-coming area of engineering in Vancouver, and one President of a company who just happened to be an immigrant himself (30 years ago from the middle-east but never mind) must have looked at my application and liked what he saw.

OH had more trouble as he has nothing 'special' or extraordinary to offer. Once here, he got a job relatively easily with the right contacts and references, ie, people in the industry over here. It's about who you know.

Ironically since arriving and meeting our competitiors at meetings and presentations etc. a lot have said that they wished they had bothered to look at applications more and kick themselves that they let me slip through the net!

So, try and get a visa first (BUNAC non-student??), make yourselves look at serious about your move over here, try and get some local knowledge of the industry and area that you want to move to, maybe go over for a holiday to show your face, and keep searching.

Good luck
i dont' know anything about work permits..but just wanted to say...i think your post here was informative and based on experiences.
And i took note of what you say about
Ironically since arriving and meeting our competitiors at meetings and presentations etc. a lot have said that they wished they had bothered to look at applications more and kick themselves that they let me slip through the net! that is realy helpful, i feel as it tells people that by speaking up about their experience it opens the eyes of potential employers ( for new immigrants etc enquiring before being here) never know who knows who and what goes round the boardroom and meetings etc!!!
karma coming your way!
Old Aug 11th 2007, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sarahad
We used workopolis and sent what must have been hundreds of CV's to anyone advertising for carpenters... we then eventually got that one lucky reply and it all worked out!
excellent ~Sarah~...glad everything worked out for you... congrats!!
Old Aug 11th 2007, 7:04 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

It is hard work, it just feels like im banging my head against a brick wall at the moment

help would be appreciated.
Hi their i'm not a bobby, but i have seen lots of british bobby on this site in the past. If you do a search and find some of their posts, try and send them a private message, after all they were in your shoes once and needed help, worst they can do is ignore you. But i am almost sure you would have to apply to the police forces directly for each province. Good luck and dont be shy at asking for help