Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Work Permits @ Port of Entry? Thoughts/experiences please!

Work Permits @ Port of Entry? Thoughts/experiences please!

Old Mar 20th 2023, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

CapeBretonBound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work Permits @ Port of Entry? Thoughts/experiences please!

Hi,

First time poster...so please be gentle!

So a very broad outline of our situation is that I am applying via the Atlantic Immigration Program. I have a job offer from an employer in Nova Scotia (yay!) and am just about to apply for my 'settlement program' before our application for endorsement is submitted.
Once endorsement comes through I will of course need to apply for a temporary work permit to tide me over until my application for PR is processed.

I will be coming over with my partner (common-law spouse...so he will look to apply for an open work permit when I get mine) and our two dogs.

My main query is: What are peoples experiences with applying for a work permit at port of entry, as opposed to applying whilst still in the UK?

Obviously applying at Port of Entry is potentially a lot quicker, but also a lot scarier. Do I just need to put my big girl panties on and go for it??
We are intending to have all our paperwork in check, so don't anticipate any hold-ups/refusals....but it is obviously a risk.

As we can't yet fly direct into Halifax with our mutts, we will likely all be landing in Toronto.

Would really be so grateful for any thoughts and experiences that you lovely folks are willing to share.

xxx