Wikiposts

Work permit or visitor record

Old Oct 4th 2009, 4:37 am
Just Joined

paulwelsh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work permit or visitor record

Hey, im new to the forum and have a situation that is giving me a headache.
After a recent trip to Canada I was offered a job as a soccer coach, the job is classed as Volunteer work to start but they pay you for the hours you work. I have friends who are going to rent me a basement for myself and family to live so that gives me chance to do this job with minimal bills to pay and attempt to get other work once out there. What is the easiest route to follow? work permit or visitor record? we are also going to apply for permanent residence at some point.

Thanks to anybody who can advise me on this.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 5:07 am
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Work permit or visitor record

you can't work as a visitor (even voluntarily) so you'll need a work permit
Old Oct 4th 2009, 5:10 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by paulwelsh
Hey, im new to the forum and have a situation that is giving me a headache.
After a recent trip to Canada I was offered a job as a soccer coach, the job is classed as Volunteer work to start but they pay you for the hours you work. I have friends who are going to rent me a basement for myself and family to live so that gives me chance to do this job with minimal bills to pay and attempt to get other work once out there. What is the easiest route to follow? work permit or visitor record? we are also going to apply for permanent residence at some point.

Thanks to anybody who can advise me on this.
As it is a paid position, you will need a work permit. You probably don't require an LMO, but one criteria that maybe difficult to meet is the following

"A professional or semi-professional coach is a worker who earns significant income from coaching - enough to support themselves or, if part-time, contribute a significant portion towards supporting themselves in Canada. They may be coaching an amateur athlete, team or club, but they themselves are still 'professionals

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...w/fw01-eng.pdf page 22

As to "other work" you will probably find it almost impossible to find an approved LMO for any other part time work.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:01 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your advice guys. I also have an option with my wife who is a performing artist. She is co owner of a company that is Canada based and registered. They have done alot of music CD's for the CHEO foundation charity in Ottawa. Would I be better off applying to immigrate under this option? Would that be good enough for the application process?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

ESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really nice

Is your wife Canadian?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 8:07 am
Just Joined

No my wife is British, her business partner is Canadian if that makes any difference? They set up business together and have so far just done work for charity due to distance between Canada and UK. The plan is that if we could move to Canada then they can work closer and start performing at venues etc.