Work Permit Transfer????

Old Jul 24th 2006, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute
Default Work Permit Transfer????

I'm currently in Calgary on a temporary worker visa with a company that has announced its intention to close the office by the end of November and relocate key staff to the US. I really do not want to work in the US so need to find a new job/sponser in Canada before my visa expires in 22 months.

I have an opportunity that for reasons that I can't go into here would require me to resign my current job before we could proceed any further. This opportunity is for a very similar job and I have heard that in such cases it is easy for the new employer to "Transfer" the work permit. Is this true? Or would we have to go through the entire HRSDC/work pwermit approval process again? I'm not sure that I fancy 3 months out of work with the end result at the whim of the immigration authorities.

Also, anyone know a good employment lawyer in the Calgary area?

Last edited by Posidrive; Jul 24th 2006 at 3:34 am.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 3:53 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Work Permit Transfer????

There is no such thing as simple "transfer" of work permit. You must apply for change of conditions (new employer) and cannot start working for new employer prior to application approval.

Originally Posted by Posidrive
I'm currently in Calgary on a temporary worker visa with a company that has announced its intention to close the office by the end of November and relocate key staff to the US. I really do not want to work in the US so need to find a new job/sponser in Canada before my visa expires in 22 months.

I have an opportunity that for reasons that I can't go into here would require me to resign my current job before we could proceed any further. This opportunity is for a very similar job and I have heard that in such cases it is easy for the new employer to "Transfer" the work permit. Is this true? Or would we have to go through the entire HRSDC/work pwermit approval process again? I'm not sure that I fancy 3 months out of work with the end result at the whim of the immigration authorities.

Old Jul 24th 2006, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

Adrian7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Me and my employer got my work permit through a lawyers office called "Caron & Partners" on 7th Ave and 2nd street (in the Scotia Centre).
The lawyer I dealt with was exclusively for immigration purposes and certainly knew his stuff.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

Adrian7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
There is no such thing as simple "transfer" of work permit. You must apply for change of conditions (new employer) and cannot start working for new employer prior to application approval.
Andrew, is it easy to have a work permit extended (if there are no change in details)?
Old Jul 24th 2006, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Thanks Andrew. Would I be correct in assuming that the new employer would still require HRSDC approval?
Old Jul 24th 2006, 6:04 am

Yes, first time it is almost automatic once you properly apply.

Originally Posted by Adrian7
Andrew, is it easy to have a work permit extended (if there are no change in details)?
Old Jul 24th 2006, 6:05 am

Yes.

Thanks Andrew. Would I be correct in assuming that the new employer would still require HRSDC approval?