Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Work permit timeline - recent experience?

Work permit timeline - recent experience?

Old Aug 18th 2019, 11:04 am
Just Joined

Myllia_G has a reputation beyond reputeMyllia_G has a reputation beyond reputeMyllia_G has a reputation beyond reputeMyllia_G has a reputation beyond reputeMyllia_G has a reputation beyond reputeMyllia_G has a reputation beyond reputeMyllia_G has a reputation beyond reputeMyllia_G has a reputation beyond reputeMyllia_G has a reputation beyond reputeMyllia_G has a reputation beyond reputeMyllia_G has a reputation beyond repute
Default Work permit timeline - recent experience?

Hi Guys,

I am looking for someone with similar experience and some advice/ reassurance.
We are still in the UK. My partner has been endorsed by the Nova Scotia Government for the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program. He went to the London Visa office, applied for temporary work permit on the 22nd of July (so nearly a month ago). Biometrics were taken, his papers checked, etc.
We are checking the online tracker and it still says it is still being processed in the London office.
Is this normal? We were expecting the application being processed in Canada by now...
Is it actually sent to Canada or the process is done in London?
We have researched the timeline many months ago and was hoping for a quick processing time being a work permit attached to the AIPP as somewhere we have read that this would count as a work permit extension, hence it would go faster.
Checking the estimated processing times on the Canada Immigration website does not help either...
https://www.canada.ca "Check processing time" says 15 weeks (was 10 weeks couple of weeks ago) for work permit
For Work permit extension now saying 121 days (!), but two weeks ago it estimated 4 weeks...
I am aware you guys can't give us a definitive date, etc, but really looking for someone with recent work permit experience/ timeline and some advice. Is this normal that 4 weeks in it is still being processed in London? Should we call up at the office?
Our immigration process has been slowed down my many unexpected events, and I am overthinking/ worrying this now as every single step seems to take ages. We are all packed, all ready for moving, we really cannot wait to be there..
Thanks for any advice!
Old Aug 18th 2019, 3:53 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work permit timeline - recent experience?

Applying through London will result in long processing times - pretty standard and all you will receive is a Letter of Introduction which allows you to obtain your work permit on entry to Canada - you don't get the actual work permit until that point. You can't call the office, by the way.

Normally the recommendation is to apply at the Port of entry - i.e. when you land at the airport rather than faff around with applying through London but I think the APPP is different for this.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...rk-permit.html
Just checking, have you submitted your application for Permanent Residency?
Old Aug 18th 2019, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

Myllia_G has a reputation beyond reputeMyllia_G has a reputation beyond reputeMyllia_G has a reputation beyond reputeMyllia_G has a reputation beyond reputeMyllia_G has a reputation beyond reputeMyllia_G has a reputation beyond reputeMyllia_G has a reputation beyond reputeMyllia_G has a reputation beyond reputeMyllia_G has a reputation beyond reputeMyllia_G has a reputation beyond reputeMyllia_G has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Siouxie. I believe the main applicant cannot apply for the TWP at the Port of entry if we are going through the AIPP. We have followed the instructions we have received with the Provincial Endorsement letter.
I, as the Common Law Partner, will be able to apply for the TWP at the Port of Entry.
At least this is the information we have, but if anyone knows otherwise, please do let us know.
We are working on the application for PR as we speak, will send it out next week.
Old Aug 18th 2019, 11:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You’re correct, he can’t apply at POE. Not sure where you’ve read it will be an extension, that’s not correct.

And about 10 weeks is the norm, but if it’s now saying 15 weeks then that’s usually pretty accurate - processing will be slowed down now due to it being holiday season and the increase on study permit apps for Sept. And it is all processed in London.

HTH.
Old Aug 19th 2019, 7:47 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your reply christmasoompa and confirming all of this. Not great news, but we cannot do anything, so I will try not to worry about it. But hell, immigration is a frustrating, long process

Thank you to Both of you!