Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Work Permit restrictions 'Childcare'

Work Permit restrictions 'Childcare'

Old Nov 10th 2021, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

synaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Work Permit restrictions 'Childcare'

Hi everyone,

My partner is applying for jobs here in Canada but we want to get a bit more clarity on the restrictions of the work permit. The restrictions seem pretty straightforward (schools, health work etc.) however one that is relevant to a job he's applying for now is childcare. The job is in an office for a company who run camps for kids. He has had an interview and is waiting to hear back but we just found out that in Canada summer camps count as childcare for tax purposes. Would a job working for a company that puts on summer camps then be counted as childcare? The job does not involve contact with kids as far as I'm aware but I'm guessing if it counts as childcare for immigration purposes the specific role in the company will be irrelevant (as is the case with schools and healthcare).

We tried calling IRCC's phone line but it more or less said that unless you're in a dangerous situation to submit a webform which in my experience takes weeks.

We are aware he can get the restrictions removed and have read and understood how to do it - the specific question we want to know is whether an office job for a company that puts on kids summer camps counts as childcare according to IRCC because if it does he may need to turn the job offer down if he's successful, or see if they will wait until he can get the restrictions removed.

We are trying to be very careful as we are putting together our express entry profiles and know of someone who got turned away at the border when they tried to flagpole due to accidentally breaking the restrictions with an admin job in a school (that story did eventually have a happy ending but still...).

Thanks!
Old Nov 14th 2021, 3:06 am
Just Joined

MRCT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Work Permit restrictions 'Childcare'

I am not sure if this is relevant but it may be worth checking out. Pre-Covid I volunteered helping new immigrants (adults) learning English. Because the programme was run by the local school board I had to get a criminal check done. This was only required because the word school was in the sponsoring organization's title. Also, it was the more detailed criminal check required, finger prints at the local police station and the OK from the RCMP in Ottawa (I passed).
Old Nov 14th 2021, 6:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work Permit restrictions 'Childcare'

Originally Posted by MRCT
I am not sure if this is relevant but it may be worth checking out. Pre-Covid I volunteered helping new immigrants (adults) learning English. Because the programme was run by the local school board I had to get a criminal check done. This was only required because the word school was in the sponsoring organization's title. Also, it was the more detailed criminal check required, finger prints at the local police station and the OK from the RCMP in Ottawa (I passed).
But you’ve been in Canada for decades, so I’m assuming aren’t on a work permit?! So not relevant to the OP unfortunately, it’s work permit holders that can’t work in certain fields without a medical, it’s a restriction on their visa.