Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Work permit question for Andrew Miller

Work permit question for Andrew Miller

Old Dec 1st 2005, 5:56 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 65
SuzH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work permit question for Andrew Miller

Hi Andrew

I have a question on behalf on a work collegue. He is currently in Canada on a work permit which expires on the 17th January. He is planning on finishing work before or on that date, however he and his girlfriend (on a separate 3 year work visa, so doesn't have the same problem) are in the process of moving to Australia. The problem is that they won't be ready to leave Canada until the end of January / beginning of February.

What are his options re the visa? Can he cross over into the states and come back as a visitor on or before the 17th Jan or are they unlikely to let him in? If he stays in Canada (not working) after the 17th Jan will he have problems trying to cross into the States (the way they are going to Australia) and will he get banned from coming back to Canada?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Suzanne
SuzH is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2005, 6:20 am
  #2  
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
PMM's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 9,708
PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work permit question for Andrew Miller

Hi

Originally Posted by SuzH
Hi Andrew

I have a question on behalf on a work collegue. He is currently in Canada on a work permit which expires on the 17th January. He is planning on finishing work before or on that date, however he and his girlfriend (on a separate 3 year work visa, so doesn't have the same problem) are in the process of moving to Australia. The problem is that they won't be ready to leave Canada until the end of January / beginning of February.

What are his options re the visa? Can he cross over into the states and come back as a visitor on or before the 17th Jan or are they unlikely to let him in? If he stays in Canada (not working) after the 17th Jan will he have problems trying to cross into the States (the way they are going to Australia) and will he get banned from coming back to Canada?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Suzanne
To cover all bases he could apply for a visitor's extension from Vegreville, although he may have left it to late. Or he could try going around the border, either of the two.

PMM
PMM is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2005, 6:48 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 65
SuzH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Work permit question for Andrew Miller

Thanks. What do you mean 'going around the border'?

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi



To cover all bases he could apply for a visitor's extension from Vegreville, although he may have left it to late. Or he could try going around the border, either of the two.

PMM
SuzH is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2005, 7:50 am
  #4  
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
PMM's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 9,708
PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work permit question for Andrew Miller

Hi

Originally Posted by SuzH
Thanks. What do you mean 'going around the border'?
Drive down to the US border, then either enter US and return to Canada and apply for visitor visa, or at some crossing you can take the return to Canada lane and then apply BUT at some crossing CBSA insist that you either enter the US or get a rejection slip. Apply to Vegreville, its easier, but it does cost.

PMM
PMM is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2005, 4:18 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 82
49thparallel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Work permit question for Andrew Miller

Hi there,

I renewed my work permit last summer and did a 'flag pole'as they call it...

I drove to the U.S. border, entered the U.S. and came straight back to Canada, I met immigration and then renewed my work permit. There are only certain instances you can do this if renewing a work permit however coming as a visitor should be a lot more straighforward. Vegreville, as PMM suggests is a good option however as PMM also mentions it may be too late, at least if you go to the border it's done and dusted there and then.
49thparallel is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2005, 5:31 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 65
SuzH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Work permit question for Andrew Miller

Thanks for your reply...

But if they saw, as he came back through the canadian border, that his work permit was about to run and and he wanted to come back as a visitor. Wouldn't they be suspicious that he was going to try and work or outstay his time in Canada (neither of which are true, but could be)?

I'm just worried that if he left canada for the states and back on the 17th Jan that they wouldn't let him back in and then he'd get stranded there with a house full of stuff to empty in Canada!!


Originally Posted by 49thparallel
Hi there,

I renewed my work permit last summer and did a 'flag pole'as they call it...

I drove to the U.S. border, entered the U.S. and came straight back to Canada, I met immigration and then renewed my work permit. There are only certain instances you can do this if renewing a work permit however coming as a visitor should be a lot more straighforward. Vegreville, as PMM suggests is a good option however as PMM also mentions it may be too late, at least if you go to the border it's done and dusted there and then.
SuzH is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.