Work Permit Question

Old Mar 10th 2014, 11:52 am
NOC: 6211

steve33scotland is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work Permit Question

Guys,

I have now been In Canada for over 8 months and loving it, came over at the end of July on a work permit and this is valid until November 2014, I logged on to my CIC account to check if I can apply for an extension online, after going through all the normal questions it informed me that I can put in for an extension to the work permit, it also however advised me that I can now also get an open work permit.

So my question is, is it advisable to put in for an open work permit or would this hinder my chance of getting PR as I was advised that I needed 1 yr+ work experience in Canada (Unsure if they meant within the original role), would leaving the employment I initially came to Canada for limit my chances ?

I have the chance of a new job in the summer in a different field and would therefor need an open work permit (something I'd love to do if possible), but I also have the chance of a 2 year extension in my current role.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide on this subject.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work Permit Question

What was the work permit issued under? IEC/WHV or an LMO or PNP letter?
IEC work permits cannot be extended.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 2:45 pm

Hi, the work permit was under LMO, that's why I was surprise when it said on my CIC account that I could apply for an Open work permit extension also, I thought I'd only be able to get a closed extension, just I sure what and if any effect that this would have on future application for PR ?
Old Mar 10th 2014, 2:57 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve33scotland
Hi, the work permit was under LMO, that's why I was surprise when it said on my CIC account that I could apply for an Open work permit extension also, I thought I'd only be able to get a closed extension, just I sure what and if any effect that this would have on future application for PR ?
Is there a reason you are waiting to apply for PR? You could, presumably, apply under the FSW with job offer or see if your employers would sponsor you for PNP - or would you rather apply through CEC even if it means waiting?

Perhaps the CIC widget presumed that you had already applied for PR through one of the FE streams? If it did then it was telling you to apply for a bridging open work permit but I believe that is only available to those who have passed the 1st stage of approval for applications for PR under one of the Federal Economic streams.

As far as I am aware, if you had to get LMO approval then you wouldn't be able to get an open work permit extension, only closed - but hopefully others can give you their imput as well.

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 10th 2014 at 3:02 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 11:43 am

We always said we would give it a year before deciding to apply for PR, and I also thought that I had to wait a year as when i did the thing on the CIC site it said that was the case.

It wasn't the bridging open work permit, it was just an open work permit as it asked during the process if I had made an application for PR, Just wanted to know if this would hamper applying for PR by taking the open permit or if indeed I could do so ??

I was like yourself always under the impression that if your on an LMO that you could only get a closed work permit, just when it came up giving me the two options it confused me slightly, If anyone else can shed any light on this I'd gratefully appreciate any advice.

Cheers,
Old Mar 11th 2014, 12:23 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

We always said we would give it a year before deciding to apply for PR, and I also thought that I had to wait a year as when i did the thing on the CIC site it said that was the case.

It wasn't the bridging open work permit, it was just an open work permit as it asked during the process if I had made an application for PR, Just wanted to know if this would hamper applying for PR by taking the open permit or if indeed I could do so ??

I was like yourself always under the impression that if your on an LMO that you could only get a closed work permit, just when it came up giving me the two options it confused me slightly, If anyone else can shed any light on this I'd gratefully appreciate any advice.

Cheers,
You would only need to wait a year if you were going to apply under the Canadian Experience Class. Depending on your profession and which Province you are in, some C&D NOC code jobs require 6 or 9 months working before you can apply for PNP. Any A/O/B classified job you can apply for FSW with job offer without even having worked here and most of the Provincial Nominee streams as well.

I tried using the wizard but at no time did it offer me an open work permit. Strange.. perhaps try it again?

Old Mar 11th 2014, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

IMHO if the work permit was issued under an LMO for a specific employer then any extensions would have to be approved by CIC. Im not sure how CIC treats extensions granted under an LMO. I don't see how you would get an open work permit when the original was issued under an LMO employer specific. You could call the CIC disinformation line at 1 888 242 2100 to see if they can shed some light.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 12:55 pm
Banned

Cheers,
Ok I just had a thought. Did one of the options say you could apply for an IEC open work permit by any chance? It would say this if you are under 30.

IEC is a working holiday open work permit (valid for 1 year for UK nationals) which has now closed for this year.

If it was for that, then ignore it!

Old Mar 11th 2014, 12:58 pm

Just tried it all again, said that I hadn't applied for PR and just answered all the other questions, below is a copy of what it said at the end ?? It didn't offer IEC as i'm 43 (Asks for date of birth, so perhaps it knows not to offer ??)

Your Results
Based on the information you provided, the result(s) below indicates whether you may be eligible to come to Canada.

Work Permit (in Canada)
You may be eligible to extend your stay in Canada to work with a work permit.

Continue
Open Work Permit

You may be eligible to work in Canada with an open work permit.
Continue

Like you said, its perhaps something I would need to look in too, just asked in-case anyone had came across this before and could shed some light on it for me.