Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Work permit/PR Dilemma Help needed

Work permit/PR Dilemma Help needed

Old Dec 17th 2014, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

express01 is on a distinguished road
Default Work permit/PR Dilemma Help needed

I’m looking for some help with the following, My wife and I along with our 2 kids who were 10 and 16 at the time moved to Canada via the BC PNP Entrepreneur program.
After just over 2 years were nominated for our PR.

Our applications were sent in March 2013 and acknowledged in May 21013, since then we've takes our medicals (Aug 13) and paid RPRF: in May 2014 at the request of CIC, our application finally changed on ecas in July 2014 to in progress.

My dilemma is were nearly 20 months into processing, the average is 17 months so were expecting to have our PR in the near future both my wife’s and my work permit runs out on the 3rd January and the last thing we were looking to do way pay another $300 if the RF comes sometime early in the new year.

My question is do you think it an option for us to cross the boarder in January and immediately return as a tourist until such time as our PR if finalized, I’ve emailed CIC for a progress report and the response I got was our case was with an officer and was they could not confirm when it would be finalized. Both my wife and myself currently don't have a job,

Any advice would be appreciated,
Old Dec 17th 2014, 8:57 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work permit/PR Dilemma Help needed

You can flagpole and switch to visitor status, but why not just apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit instead? I know you said neither of you have a job now, but at least that would give you the option of working if you wanted to?
Old Dec 17th 2014, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

express01 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You can flagpole and switch to visitor status, but why not just apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit instead? I know you said neither of you have a job now, but at least that would give you the option of working if you wanted to?
Will the Bridging open work permit cost me? as this it what I was trying to avoid,

Regards
Old Dec 17th 2014, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by express01
Will the Bridging open work permit cost me? as this it what I was trying to avoid,

Regards
Yes you would have to pay for the BOWP or any extension. If wanting to go to visitor status at the border make sure you take documentation regarding your PR application etc.
Old Dec 17th 2014, 11:58 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by express01

Regards
Not working will cost you as well.