Work permit to PR

Old Jul 23rd 2006, 3:39 am
Just Joined

stonemason4 has a spectacular aura aboutstonemason4 has a spectacular aura aboutstonemason4 has a spectacular aura about
Default Work permit to PR

Hello All

I am English and have been living in Canada for 2 years on a work permit and am about to apply for PR. As I have been here for over a year do I send my application to Buffalo or does it have to go to London UK.
Also I know it says that wait until they ask for RCMP police checks. As there is about a 150 day wait would it pay to have the check done now then I have it for when they ask. Also would I have to send local police check as I have been here for more than 6 months or just the RCMP.

Thanking you in advance

Steve
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 10:25 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work permit to PR

Hi

Originally Posted by stonemason4
Hello All

I am English and have been living in Canada for 2 years on a work permit and am about to apply for PR. As I have been here for over a year do I send my application to Buffalo or does it have to go to London UK.
Also I know it says that wait until they ask for RCMP police checks. As there is about a 150 day wait would it pay to have the check done now then I have it for when they ask. Also would I have to send local police check as I have been here for more than 6 months or just the RCMP.

Thanking you in advance

Steve
1. YOur choice, either BUffalo or London.
2. No, you only need the RCMP check for Canada,

PMM
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Neelam is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi could I just ask you - I am also English, am currently on a working holiday visa which will expire feb. 2007 - was it easy for you to get your employer to help you get your work permit and also what process did you have to go through to get another one?

Thanks

Originally Posted by stonemason4
Hello All

Thanking you in advance

Steve
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Adrian7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Neelam
Hi could I just ask you - I am also English, am currently on a working holiday visa which will expire feb. 2007 - was it easy for you to get your employer to help you get your work permit and also what process did you have to go through to get another one?

Thanks
Is this holiday visa through BUNAC?
I did exactly the same thing. I used the 1 year non-student BUNAC visa. Soon after arriving in Canada I was working with a small consultancy company in Calgary. They sponsored me with a work permit when my BUNAC visa expired. My employer first had to get "Labour Market Opinion" (LMO) approval. After getting that, I then applied for the work permit. Since obtaining the permit in Sept 2006, I have applied for PR Skilled Worker to Buffalo.
It's not expensive to get the permit. However in order for your employer to get LMO approval they need to advertise your job in the paper/internet etc (to show that your employer could not get a canadian for the job)This can be expensive. However if your emplyer is happy with your work they may pay it all (which happened in my case).
Buffalo is processing applications quicker than London. I would go with Buffalo.
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Neelam is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Adrian,

thanks for your reply. Looks like we are both in the same boat (well you were in my boat) Yes I came through BUNAC and am working for a collection agency in Vancouver as a debt collector, I also came under the non student program. I really dont think that my employer will bother to go through all this for me, but I saw on the HRSDC website that I just need to submitt a copy of a job offer, saying that they will continue to employer once my PR has been issued, and then the HRSDC will do whatever they need to get the LMO thing. I think ill just end up going back to europe and wait there teaching english in Spain until i get my PR through....

Originally Posted by Adrian7
Is this holiday visa through BUNAC?
I did exactly the same thing. I used the 1 year non-student BUNAC visa. Soon after arriving in Canada I was working with a small consultancy company in Calgary. They sponsored me with a work permit when my BUNAC visa expired. My employer first had to get "Labour Market Opinion" (LMO) approval. After getting that, I then applied for the work permit. Since obtaining the permit in Sept 2006, I have applied for PR Skilled Worker to Buffalo.
It's not expensive to get the permit. However in order for your employer to get LMO approval they need to advertise your job in the paper/internet etc (to show that your employer could not get a canadian for the job)This can be expensive. However if your emplyer is happy with your work they may pay it all (which happened in my case).
Buffalo is processing applications quicker than London. I would go with Buffalo.