Wikiposts

Work Permit at Port of Entry

Old Sep 16th 2007, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

Sockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant future
Default Work Permit at Port of Entry

Hello there,

We have been granted our LMO and we are not sure whether to get our WP at POE or apply through London.

We already have the bankers draft made out to the Receiver General for Canada as we were certain that we would post the application but now we are not so sure. Will the officials accept a bankers draft at POE?

What doc's do we need to take ?

We will take the following:

WP for principle applicant
Open work permit for spouse
signed declaration of common-law status
Proof of common law status (mortgage statement and Solicitors letter)
Educational quals.
Resume for principle applicant
Copy of granted LMO
Photo's x 2 for all members of family

Time is against us as I need to start work as close to 1st October as possible and we are tearing our hair out as to whether going for it at POE is risky!

Any comments would be appreciated
Old Sep 16th 2007, 6:32 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work Permit at Port of Entry

I could not say which would be the best lots of people on here have obtained perits at POE however they are obviously not guaranteed. Search for threads (there must be lots of them) about how / why / where / when people have done theres and also what they took.

What I can tell you is that London is taking 6 / 8 weeks to procees twp so that would take you easily into November. So if time is an issue personally I would chance it at POE.

Best of luck!
Old Sep 16th 2007, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

the davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nice

We got our WP at port of entry in Calgary took 20 minutes, was very easy and painless but it had to be a credit card. But that was our experience someone else might have a different story though.

We took everything you have mentioned but for OH WP they were only interested in the number on the LMO and his passport. The only time they asked for qualifications was when I got my OWP, (to check I was eligible for one) we didn't need proof of funds or photos etc once everything was typed into the computer they stamped all our passports and told us to have good day!

We had more problems getting out of the UK than we did getting into Canada because we had a one way flight (typical English red tape!!)

Hope this helped
Old Sep 16th 2007, 8:54 am

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by the davis family
We got our WP at port of entry in Calgary took 20 minutes, was very easy and painless but it had to be a credit card. But that was our experience someone else might have a different story though.

We took everything you have mentioned but for OH WP they were only interested in the number on the LMO and his passport. The only time they asked for qualifications was when I got my OWP, (to check I was eligible for one) we didn't need proof of funds or photos etc once everything was typed into the computer they stamped all our passports and told us to have good day!

We had more problems getting out of the UK than we did getting into Canada because we had a one way flight (typical English red tape!!)

Hope this helped
Debbie, I thought that you got a OWP on the strength of OH job?

Do I need to worry about my qualifications now too - I'm confused
Was your credit card a British card and if so how do you go about paying these off, I know you willl probably laugh at that question, but it is something I have been wondering lately.
Thanks by the way for your phone number -I hope to be calling you someday soon.
Alison.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

the davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nice

Originally Posted by Alvic
Debbie, I thought that you got a OWP on the strength of OH job?

Do I need to worry about my qualifications now too - I'm confused
Was your credit card a British card and if so how do you go about paying these off, I know you will probably laugh at that question, but it is something I have been wondering lately.
Thanks by the way for your phone number -I hope to be calling you someday soon.
Alison.

They checked OH qualifications to make sure he was in the right class for me to be eligible for one, I think and don't quite understand it but if he isn't then I'm not allowed one, what class it has to be I'm not sure

Yes it was a British credit card and we paid it off with online banking as we still have an English account for paying insurances and stuff still going out.

Bit of advice if you plan on buying a house here you have to put at least 25% down and in order to get a mortgage we got one with RBC we had to get a letter from our bank manager in UK to say we kept out account in good order, also to get your no claims bonus bring your letters proving this for your household and car insurance. Believe me it's a pain trying to get these things once here but well worth it in long run.

Oops sorry for hijacking this thread
Old Sep 16th 2007, 1:20 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

They checked OH qualifications to make sure he was in the right class for me to be eligible for one, I think and don't quite understand it but if he isn't then I'm not allowed one, what class it has to be I'm not sure

Yes it was a British credit card and we paid it off with online banking as we still have an English account for paying insurances and stuff still going out.

Bit of advice if you plan on buying a house here you have to put at least 25% down and in order to get a mortgage we got one with RBC we had to get a letter from our bank manager in UK to say we kept out account in good order, also to get your no claims bonus bring your letters proving this for your household and car insurance. Believe me it's a pain trying to get these things once here but well worth it in long run.

To get a spousal work permit the principle's job must be in Category A, B, or O of the NOC matrix see: http://www23.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/2001/e/generic/matrix.pdf
Old Sep 16th 2007, 8:52 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry I must have read your thread wrong, I thought you had your qualifications checked too. My husbands job code is on the correct list - so I should get a OWP too.

Good idea re the Credit card and I have already sorted the car insurance letter, but ta again.

Will have to get on to the house insurance next.