Work Permit at Port Of Entry

Old Jul 26th 2007, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

abbaskhimji is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work Permit at Port Of Entry

Hi All

I am a UK citizen who, is currently staying in Canada. I have been offered a job and the company are doing an LMO. They said to me they think the LMO will be positive (the had some feedback from HRDSC) and believe they will have it next week.

I now have to apply for a work permit. Can I simply go to Buffalo and apply for my work Permit with my LMO and do I have to take my Wife and Child with me to apply for whatever they need.

Hope someone can help, when I phone CIC I keep getting directed to their website, which is making my head hurt.

Thanks In Advance.

Abb
Old Jul 27th 2007, 5:47 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work Permit at Port Of Entry

Hi

Originally Posted by abbaskhimji
Hi All

I am a UK citizen who, is currently staying in Canada. I have been offered a job and the company are doing an LMO. They said to me they think the LMO will be positive (the had some feedback from HRDSC) and believe they will have it next week.

I now have to apply for a work permit. Can I simply go to Buffalo and apply for my work Permit with my LMO and do I have to take my Wife and Child with me to apply for whatever they need.

Hope someone can help, when I phone CIC I keep getting directed to their website, which is making my head hurt.

Thanks In Advance.

Abb
You all have to leave and return to Canada so you can get your work permit and the wife and child are added as dependents.

PMM
Old Jul 27th 2007, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abbaskhimji
Hi All

Thanks In Advance.

Abb
Nice news you've had. Hope it comes through without any problems - enjoy the little trip to the US.

Good luck.
Rob.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

pete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant future

Hi

We obtained our work permit after crossing into US and back into canada at Niagara. The immigration officers were terrible and my poor hubby was given a real grilling for no reason....think they had too much time on their hands that day.

Mal
Old Jul 29th 2007, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pete66
Hi

We obtained our work permit after crossing into US and back into canada at Niagara. The immigration officers were terrible and my poor hubby was given a real grilling for no reason....think they had too much time on their hands that day.

Mal
That's not nice, but at least it got done and you have your WP and life goes on.
Well done, and best of luck.

Rob.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

abbaskhimji is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your help. I just need some further clarification. Which of the below statement are true:-

1) I go across the border into the US, go to the Buffalo immigration office, apply for a work permit and then re-enter canda at the Port Of Entry using that work permit.

2) I go accross the border, and re-enter Canada at the Port Of Entry and apply for the work permit there.

3) The only way to get a work permit is I need to apply for a work permit from here and then once I have authorisation, I do one of the above two points.

I hope it is OK, if someone can tell me which of the above statemnts are true.

I don't want to waste a trip to Niagara / Buffalo
Old Jul 31st 2007, 11:44 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is this a multiple choice answer

Sorry

Cant help but just wanted to wish you all the best with the WP.